Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where to find straight 50 weight oil

WABOBO

This is just a PSA, because finding this oil is a PITA! I tried searching TMC site, but couldn't find anything on the topic and thought I should post this info in case it saves someone some time.

I have the UFP Trailer Buddy Gold Series hubs for my Boat Mate trailer. After connecting with reps from both UFP and Boat Mate (awesome support btw), the oil used for these hubs must be straight 50 weight oil and nothing else. This means no dual viscosity/temperature oils like 0W50, this is just straight 50 weight oil. I couldn't find this oil in any stores, and most shops I contacted were confused because they had never seen it.

I'm in Canada, so this may be a bit different than in the US. I tried the following places and had no luck:

• Canadian Tire and Parts Source
  • Napa
  • Malibu Dealer
  • Numerous marine dealers
  • Specialty oil stores - could only offer in bulk
  • Racing store - had to buy in cases of 6L at $15 per L
  • Various Power sport dealers (sport-bikes, snowmobiles, ATV's etc)
  • Called my mechanic friend who contacted his oil supplier... no dice.

Where did I find 50 Weight oil?? Harley Davidson. Apparently some of the older Harley's run on straight 50. Weird.

Lucas oil makes hub oil that I was told will work? Seems like it was 90 weight, which I was told was similar to 90 weight.

I ended up using Mercruiser gear oil, which is a 50 weight and has an additive to help with water intrusion.

A lot of products on Amazon.com do not ship to Canada and amazon.ca doesn't have nearly the same product selection.

I couldn't find any straight 50 weight Lucas Oils in my city, and I asked some of the marine dealers. In regards to 90 weight, the guys at Boatmate and UFP were really emphasizing that 50 was the only weight to use.

A lot of products on Amazon.com do not ship to Canada and amazon.ca doesn't have nearly the same product selection.

I couldn't find any straight 50 weight Lucas Oils in my city, and I asked some of the marine dealers. In regards to 90 weight, the guys at Boatmate and UFP were really emphasizing that 50 was the only weight to use.

OK, then here is my silly question - any reason you can't buy the stuff from your dealer (who I assume is a Boatmate dealer?)

Or look on amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/Lucas-10044-Racing-Motor-Oil/dp/B000IG3RGA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1427232855&sr=8-8&keywords=sae+50+oil

http://www.amazon.ca/Torco-T630050CE-Motor-Bottle-1-Liter/dp/B000VJL98W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1427232855&sr=8-9&keywords=sae+50+oil

http://www.amazon.ca/Brad-Penn-009-7115S-Racing-Motor/dp/B002RFE4MG/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1427232855&sr=8-11&keywords=sae+50+oil

Edited by oldjeep

NAPA does carry it (possibly not in stock at some locations). Valvoline makes one; NAPA has Royal Purple also, but only in bulk that I can tell. Often times, tractor supply stores will carry special weights used for agricultural applications.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Motor-Oil-Valvoline-1-Qt-Valvoline-VR1-Racing-SAE-50-12-1-Qt-50W/_/R-VCA235_0006411555

Edited by DIE2SURF

My father-in law who worked in the oil industry for 30+ years assured me 90 weight and 50 weight are basically the same product. I'm sure it would be fine, but I still felt funny about it. And the thought of being broken down on the side of the road was a huge deterrent for me. When I asked the Crew the Mercruiser oil was recommended. The Mercruiser gear oil is rated as 50 weight. I would be surprised if you couldn't buy it in Canada.

My father-in law who worked in the oil industry for 30+ years assured me 90 weight and 50 weight are basically the same product. I'm sure it would be fine, but I still felt funny about it. And the thought of being broken down on the side of the road was a huge deterrent for me. When I asked the Crew the Mercruiser oil was recommended. The Mercruiser gear oil is rated as 50 weight. I would be surprised if you couldn't buy it in Canada.

I've never seen a 50 weight Mercruiser gear oil. The leftover stuff that I have is 90 weight

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/parts-and-accessories/mercury-marine-products/precision-lubricants/gear-lube/

high-performance-gear-lube.png__1000x750

OldJeep I'm way to cheap to spend $30+ on 1 Litre of oil, and I have no idea why I can't get it through any of the local dealers - I called and asked. I bought the boat and trailer from the US, not locally.

Hum. Maybe I got the numbers mixed up? I can't look at my bottle because I'm out of town.

I have taken my boat on several long trips and have had zero issues. Those hubs are amazingly cool to the touch. Next fall I'm going to change them out though. I prefer something easier to find on the road.

• 3 weeks later...

So I suggested Mercruiser drive lube, which is 90 weight. I did some checking on 50 weight vs 90. And they are very similar, but there is a slight difference. Check out this link and you can compare the two. I'm not an expert, nor am I suggesting the OP should put anything but 50 weight in his hubs. The two oils are very close on the graph

.http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

I'm assuming you're talking 90 weight gear vs 50 weight motor oil?

viscosity_table_2.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is just a PSA, because finding this oil is a PITA! I tried searching TMC site, but couldn't find anything on the topic and thought I should post this info in case it saves someone some time.

I have the UFP Trailer Buddy Gold Series hubs for my Boat Mate trailer. After connecting with reps from both UFP and Boat Mate (awesome support btw), the oil used for these hubs must be straight 50 weight oil and nothing else. This means no dual viscosity/temperature oils like 0W50, this is just straight 50 weight oil. I couldn't find this oil in any stores, and most shops I contacted were confused because they had never seen it.

I'm in Canada, so this may be a bit different than in the US. I tried the following places and had no luck:

• Canadian Tire and Parts Source
  • Napa
  • Malibu Dealer
  • Numerous marine dealers
  • Specialty oil stores - could only offer in bulk
  • Racing store - had to buy in cases of 6L at $15 per L
  • Various Power sport dealers (sport-bikes, snowmobiles, ATV's etc)
  • Called my mechanic friend who contacted his oil supplier... no dice.

Where did I find 50 Weight oil?? Harley Davidson. Apparently some of the older Harley's run on straight 50. Weird.

is there a caterpillar or john deer or any heavy equipment store near you? If so they sale a straight 50 gear oil that go in their final drives on excavators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the Motorsport places is a john deer/bombardier dealer. They hadn't heard of straight 50..

But I found it at a motorcycle shop.

One of the Motorsport places is a john deer/bombardier dealer. They hadn't heard of straight 50..

But I found it at a motorcycle shop.

I mean a straight heavy equip theft dealer. I know they make 50 w gear oil. I have a 5 gallon bucket of it in my shop that I had to change the oil in my final drives in my cat trackhoe (excavator). Gear oil and motor oils are different. The oil you found at bike shop did it have detergent or non detergent?