Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge problem

We were out wakesurfing today,when we noticed a noise like the prop was cavitating.We stopped the boat immediately,went back to check the prop & found that two of the bolts holding the wedge foil on were broken off at the heads.The dealer that was keeping my boat(out of state) before I bought it,asked to take off my wedge foil & put it on a new boat for a customer taking delivery.He sent me a brand new wedge foil after I got my boat home.Should I call him about it?It wouldn't be too hard to fix,just extracting the broken bolts & bending the side support back a little.

Has anyone had any probs like this with their wedge?BTW,we did not hit anything with it for sure!

Thanks,

Todd

This has happened to quite a few people. Not sure why. Possible the flat head bolts are not strong enough for the down force generated by the wedge. Also, I think they're using 1/4-20 bolts which aren't terribly large in diameter. Best thing you can do is straighten out the bent leg and replace the bolts. I don't think you can get the leg seperately from Malibu and I've heard, sometimes, they don't warranty this situation.

BROKEN WEDGE This was the thread from when my wedge broke...long story short, Malibu claimed I hit something (BS!) they wouldn't fix it. I was going to heat up the leg and bend it back but its not only bent, it is twisted. I would just send it to Malibu and hope they send you back a new one. I ended up buying a leg from a member of this site. He was able to buy two new legs for his wedge, but I was told by my dealer that they wouldn't sell the legs.

I do not know how the factory inspects or what type of process control they have over this installation but if proper torque values are not adhered to upon installation the heads could shear.

The csk looks deep on mine too. Because of the angle of the wedge not being perpendicular to the csk or hole when drilled it is impossible to get a tru-loc gauge on the csk to measure depth. I can not tell if they are using an 82 or 100 degree csk either. If the hardware after torque is not gap checked with an .002 feeler gauge then the head of the attachment is not verified and could be a potential source for failure. One of my original heads is actually stripped which indicates that it may not have even been torqued in a controlled environment?

The wedge itself appears to engage in mostly tension loads but could also be exposed to shear loads at some point? Without knowing the steps taken during the installation process it is difficult to pinpoint. However because some (minimal) and not all are failing I would bet it is (1) inconsistant installation practices or, (2) hardware supplier anomalies (using a spec grade hardware like a military standard (MS) would help). Because most are performing correctly without failure the Engineering must be correct. KC

KTC,

I could be wrong,but it sounds to me like you may be talking about attach points on the wedge plate.I'm talking about the horizontal foil plate at the bottom of the wedge.They don't use the strongest bolts/screws for that spot.I think I'm gonna try to find some stainless bolts.Thanks,

Todd

We were out wakesurfing today,when we noticed a noise like the prop was cavitating.We stopped the boat immediately,went back to check the prop & found that two of the bolts holding the wedge foil on were broken off at the heads.The dealer that was keeping my boat(out of state) before I bought it,asked to take off my wedge foil & put it on a new boat for a customer taking delivery.He sent me a brand new wedge foil after I got my boat home.Should I call him about it?It wouldn't be too hard to fix,just extracting the broken bolts & bending the side support back a little.

Has anyone had any probs like this with their wedge?BTW,we did not hit anything with it for sure!

Thanks,

Todd

You deserve a new wedge and I would contact my dealer if I were you!

The original bolts are SS. SS itself is not that strong of a metal. When tightening the csk bolts in my wedge, I found it very easy to round our the phillips or allen heads. The bolts in my Wedge are 1/4"-28 (fine thread). In the new Wedges that I looked at my dealer, they have went back to 3 bolt/strut. I don't remember if it was a power wedge or standard.

I would not try to straighten the strut if it is bent severely. When metal bends, any metal, it is weakened.

I would contact the Malibu dealer that sent you the replacement Wedge. They know they have a problem with them.

I tried to get stronger bolts for mine when I had it apart. I was told that a stronger SS would require a custom blend alloy. Needless to say that I was not interested. I had thought of using Grade 8 bolts. They don't rust quite as easily as lower grades, but they will rust.

Good luck

Get in touch with Mike Sanchez at Malibu if your dealer doesn't take care of you. Mike will replace it, assuming you didn't hit anything with the wedge.

I looked into getting titanium bolts but, after talking to the guy about the application he said they might have "engineered in" those bolts as a weak spot to prevent the transome from becoming wholley. Something to consider.

BTW, my latest, greatest non-power wedge has 3 bolts per side.

"engineered in" those bolts as a weak spot to prevent the transome from becoming wholley. Something to consider

Good point. I still think the hardware is not seated evenly. The attachment should be a flush head allen key so that it is easier to torque and seat. But, the csk is so deep you could actually install a conical washer with a protruding head tension bolt that could still be encapsulated with a silicone seal. Should not impact the hydrodynamics of the wedge because its purpose is drag anyway. Fun topic! KC

I talked to Mike (dealer) today...before I told him what broke,he told me!HE said that yes it is a problem & that Malibu apparently has a repair for it.He told me he would replace it for me.At a boy Mike!!! :)