Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

02 Malibu VLX ballast upgrade advice for wakesurfing

malibuvlx02

I have a 2002 Malibu VLX with the stock ballast system (2 rear and one center ballast) I've been wanting to upgrade my system and add additional ballast bags in the interior and front bow too just to add more weight. I want to see what other people have done to make the wake better to surf behind. I have rode behind the newer Malibu's with surf gates and I just want to do what I can with my older model. Any upgrades or add ones to make it more like the newer Malibu's would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have the same boat as you. I have an 1100 pound bag in each rear locker, they never get totally full so I would say I run 900 pounds surf side, 600 pound bag center, 500 pound bag in bow and I have another 500 pound I use on surf side seats if no people with me. I fill non surf side lockersac to about 500 I'd guess? Wedge down and I made my own surf gate. I have a great wave

I run the same as racer. 1100's in the back, stock center, and depending on people add 400's in the nose or surf side seat.

But I don't have a wedge.

wakemakers. If you give them a call they will make sure you get every correct fitting. I would order more hose though so you can cross the drains to opposite sides to prevent siphoning, mine slowly drains while we surf, I use a cork in the hull fitting to stop the drain but plan to run more hose. Also tell them you come from The Malibu Crew & they should hook u up with a 10% discount.

Edited by racer808

Oh, spend the money & get shut off valves. If you notice, your current pumps are right to the floor, should one ever break you have no valve to shut off, so get those & might as well get all new pumps,but you can pick up those pumps on Amazon for a fraction of the cost from wake stores

Thanks for your advice! I plan on putting a set up together soon. I just hope it makes a good difference compared to what I have too. I've been wondering if a aftermarket prop would make any difference too.

More weight equals moocho better wave-o. Without the wedge though it has no push IMO. I had to upgrade my prop and went with the 1235 since I'm at altitude and that was suggested by acme. Get a ghetto gate too it makes a huge difference with the length of the wave

• 2 months later...

I ended up buying a new ballast system upgrade. Two 900 Lbs straight line bags in the rear lockers. 500 lb bag in the front bow, which fit under the seat. 800 lb bag which will just sit on the floor for more weight. I replaced the stock pumps with the Johnson pumps, which work great. Working on a custom surf gate and will post pics soon.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51606-i-think-i-have-my-sv23-fairly-dialed-in/

No exposed bags. 4 lead bags are barely exposed and could be hidden. I'm now putting the 100lbs of rear lead in the port storage pocket instead of the port seat - doesn't seem to impact the wake compared to the rear seat corner but gets them out of the way.

• 1 month later...

I'm still trying to get the wake dialed in. It doesn't seem right yet. I do notice the wake is bigger and there is push from under from the wake, but on the top of the wake it keeps white capping and coming over onto the surf board, which makes it difficult to actually surf. I'm thinking of getting another 500Lbs bag and placing in port side to add even more weight. Any thoughts?