Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bimini Extension

h2ojunkie

Looking into making a "extension" for our bimini for rain storms ect...so when we are out we don't have to drag out a tarp to put over the boat to wait out rain storms ect... Have 08 VTX w Illusion tower and has zipper at rear of Bimini and looking for ideas to make zip or add on cover of some type to make a tent/canopy style thing for the boat. Was thinking of something that has sides down to gunnel all the way to rear end of boat and use a PVC pipe w end on it on ski pylon for support and clearance for folks in back seat area and attach it via Velcro or bungees to transom tie downs on each side.

Was even thinking if it had some flaps on each side near tower that could fold forward by windshield and use front cleats for Velcro or bungee holds for it.? Throwing it out there to see if anyone has done this or project like it.

We got grandkids now and trying to make boat life easier when rain/storms come up as we usually don't leave unless it has lightning around. We have tarped it fro years but gets old messin with it and would love to have something to zip on and make tie downs/attachments and just be done with it.

awesome! i also am looking to extend the canopy back further towards back seats as i will have an newborn and the shade on the standard top will be a bit confined to up front so better coverage would be a nice option if it could pop out extend back or something you could store under the seats and clip on as needed.

• Like 2

Where and when did ya get that extension? Very nice for sun days for kids for sure.

I was thinking something more along the lines of what Bill posted of the docked black boat for keeping us dry in rain storms ect.... Bill hits the bullseye everytime guys. He amazes me. Thanks man. If ya know of any sources I'd appreciate the tips. Have a guy that was recommended to me over in Ohio towards Cincy that may be able to do that set up for me but if someone already has it figured out for the Illusion tower ect...it'd be foolish to look elsewhere. All info appreciated.

Additionally, a guy I spoke with today bout the project says they're using magnet strips in the stuff now instead of snaps. Simply glue the strip to the boat, windshield, tower ect.. and have strip in cover, tarp ect...and holds great he said. He said wind and rain don't creep thru like with the gaps tween snaps. Way more appealing than the snaps. Seems like that should work to me, some of the magnet strips I have seen are super strong.

• Like 1

Glad to help Brian. Keep in mind these are custom made on the individuals boat. Not something you will ever find for sale off the shelf.

I would suggest you do the same thing I did with my bimini project... Print some pics out of tops you like, even if its just certain features. Then talk to some canvas shops in your area, show them your pics. You will find some creative guys who will come up with some interesting ideas of their own. Be specific about the details you like, ie; colors, shapes, coverage areas, etc. Stay with metal connectors. Remember that you will need access to your racks & tow knob.

I sketched up a dozen different mockups of my Bimini before the final version was done.

Good luck with it!

I want a full camper enclosure so bad but I just can't get past the snaps...

I have to agree there. After my last boat had a ton of cracks in the gel coat from the snaps, I swore I'd forever walk away from any boat with snaps on it. I love the clean look without them. But the ability to put the canopy up is sure nice. I ride with some guys in Portland who have an LSV with a full enclosure. It's dry & warm in all conditions. Plus they use it for boat camping & Christmas cruises. It won't work in all areas, but in the Portland & Seattle areas where it rarely freezes, they are great.

KCsboat.jpg

That's a fair point. We just slow down and close up the front.

I come from having cruisers. Putting up canvas enclosures was a daily routine. No more snaps for me....for a little while.

With Levi900RR on the snaps as well. That's why the idea of magnetic stripping in the canvas and adhesive pieces on the hull are very appealing. We don't intend to cruise w ours up, just to have to avoid rain and storms. But, if it held well enough and I have the right support rods ect...the idea of having it up for rides back to ramp could be appealing. I saw a cover on a cruiser at Indy boat show few years ago. It was cool and the mag strips were not all that noticeable. Been looking fro the stuff on the net and found Grainger has some in 100' rolls of various pull strength and widths ect... Hope to get some samples for to test myself but from what I saw at the show the concept works well. The guy who I have called said he has done it as well and it works fine.

• 1 year later...
On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2015 at 5:15 AM, R1200196 said:

This is what I'm using my on 07 VTX.

post-20288-0-22439200-1425438909_thumb.j

hello R1200196, I know you posted this photo a while ago but I just bought a Malibu v ride and I wanted to extend my bimini and yours seems an excellent design/idea. I have one question: how do you put the rope on the tower? ... and if you put it in some way the extension doesn't get in the way of the rope?

thanks

hello ,

I would have to say that's the down side to this. I don't wakeboard only surf and I don't use the ball on top I use the one on the bottom. You would just need to be careful when coming around to pick up your rider.

8 hours ago, R1200196 said:

hello ,

I would have to say that's the down side to this. I don't wakeboard only surf and I don't use the ball on top I use the one on the bottom. You would just need to be careful when coming around to pick up your rider.

8 hours ago, R1200196 said:

hello ,

thank you!

Metcraft who made the tower originally used to make an extension that zipped right on the back. I believe they are no longer in business as there CS email address and phone number no longer work. I tried reaching out to them a while back to get an extension with no luck. keep us posted, thx.

@MARIOSSOL That tower has since been licensed to another manufacturer who most recently made them for Moomba. I have no idea if the accessories are the same but you may try a Skier's Choice dealer. Most of SC's other towers are made by XTP, who still makes the RTXi tower for Malibu and a few other OEMs, so it may be them. Their retail division and end user contact is done through Monster Tower if a dealer can't help.

Could also see if Commercial Sewing was making them originally, they did/do the Malibu covers. The guys at Bake's or @SmoothWaterMan would likely know.

Just a few avenues for you to explore...good luck.

10 hours ago, jk13 said:

@MARIOSSOL That tower has since been licensed to another manufacturer who most recently made them for Moomba. I have no idea if the accessories are the same but you may try a Skier's Choice dealer. Most of SC's other towers are made by XTP, who still makes the RTXi tower for Malibu and a few other OEMs, so it may be them. Their retail division and end user contact is done through Monster Tower if a dealer can't help.

Could also see if Commercial Sewing was making them originally, they did/do the Malibu covers. The guys at Bake's or @SmoothWaterMan would likely know.

Just a few avenues for you to explore...good luck.

lots of info to work on!!  thank you guys......

If some one is looking for the metcraft Bimini w/ extension I have one that I'd sell in a heart beat.  Dosent quite fit the G3 I swapped out a couple years ago. PM if interested. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, liljohn said:

If some one is looking for the metcraft Bimini w/ extension I have one that I'd sell in a heart beat.  Dosent quite fit the G3 I swapped out a couple years ago. PM if interested. 

pm sent. Does anyone know if the extension is the same size for a VLX and LSV?

liljohn,

Before you sell the extension could you post some pics of all the parts so I can see about getting one fabricated? Also did you have the X or XS tower?

Thanks