Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 vlx tower wiring

missile871

I recently bought an 06 Malibu VLX with the Illusion x tower. It never had tower speakers so I am in the process of adding them. I know the tower is pre wired to the mounts but are the wires running all the way to the HU or just to the bottom of the tower? Sorry but I'm a wiring rookie. Thanks

The wires are run to the bottom of the tower. You will need to fold the tower down and look inside the base. The wires on the port side are for the tower speakers. the ones on the stbd side are for tower lights. There is a hole in the deck already inside the base of the tower. You will need to identify which wires you are going to use based on your mounting location and run those wires through the hole and up to your amp.

yes. you can identify each wire by hooking up a cheap test speaker to the wire at the mounting location and touching the wires at the base to a 12v drill battery +/-. it will make a pop on the speaker when you find the right wire. Mark that one (tape, magic marker, knot etc. ) and move on till you find the ones you need. OR if you don't have a test speaker available you can check the continuity with a multi meter.

all 4 wires are run to the port side as they assume you would mount your amps behind the observers seat. I think about 90+ % of people mount the amps there.

Edited by grandude

I really appreciate the help here. I wish I had asked earlier as I installed all 4 speakers today, it was actually above 30°. How difficult is it to get both the speaker wires and Hu wires to the amp in observers locker?

The speaker wires just run forward under the gunnel to the OB compartment. You will need to splice additional wire on the ends to make the run. The only things from the HU that go over to the amp is RCA cable and a small gauge wire to wake up (trigger) the amp. These are usually routed forward under the dash the over to the other side behind the kick plate for the bow ballast (assuming the boat has a bow tank).