Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05-08 VLX vs 05-08 Vride

sonny20

Couple questions.

1) How much wider is the wakeboard wake in the VLX with both boats loaded factory ballast, assuming the Vride does not have bow ballast but does come with MLS?

If I am not mistaken, the Vride should be quite a bit narrower if it does not have bow ballast, but if it did, how would the wake widths compare?

so basically looking for 2 measurements.

2) Also, what is the Freeboard difference in the 2 boats?

JMO, but the VLX hull change from 04 (which is the 05-08 vRide) to the 05 was the biggest hull improvement to date. At equal ballast weights the vlx is significantly wider and much heavier dry weight, not to mention it will hold ~20 gallons more fuel. Not really fair to compare one model to the next without adding bow ballast to both, which most, if not all, malibus need. Didn't really notice much additional freeboard but I'm sure there's some. The ceiling of the surfwave potential is much higher. It would be tough to get actual measurements on these, maybe freeboard...

How much wider is the WAKE of the VLX if both boats have bow ballast??

Unless you meant to ask something else, I find your question to be kind of ridiculous. The best answer was given by "BlknYlwT22" which is basically 'the beam is 5" difference'

I own a 2001 VLX and a 2005 VLX and have access to a 2004 VLX (similar hull to 2005 V-ride) and I have no idea how you would be able to answer this without more details...

For example: you would have to specify where you wanted the measurement taken from - exactly what and where weight and ballast were in each boat, speed at which the boats were traveling, depth at which test was taken. Way too many variables...

And on top of that how would you go about measuring the wake? Use a huge protractor off the stern - get pulled behind it and put the handle of the rope at exactly the location of the wake - measure the angle of the rope on the protractor and then do some Trigonometry?

Haha I mean it would technically work but seriously... lets just say 5" wider and probably a completely different feel to the wake.

• Like 1

Is there a difference in the width of the wake at low tide vs. low tide in the ocean. Also, what is the effect of the moon on the tide during an eclipse and will that change the pitch of the wake?

• Like 2

Its amazing that 5" would result in a MUCH wider wake.

However if you remove/unfill the bow ballast you will get a narrower wake thus easier for beginners to W2W which the Vride would be better stock.

Couple questions.

1) How much wider is the wakeboard wake in the VLX with both boats loaded factory ballast, assuming the Vride does not have bow ballast but does come with MLS?

If I am not mistaken, the Vride should be quite a bit narrower if it does not have bow ballast, but if it did, how would the wake widths compare?

so basically looking for 2 measurements.

2) Also, what is the Freeboard difference in the 2 boats?

And to answer the question you're not asking... the boat you're looking at (http://www.theboatbroker.com/getitem.asp?get=item&stocknumber=MB0022C) is the exact same as my new boat - I went through a lot of effort to find a deal on a 2005 VLX with tower. I definitely recommend the 2005 VLX over that v-ride if you can afford it! Both are great boats, but the VLX will excel a lot for surfing!

*edit - that VLX is a sick deal if you can talk him down and its in good shape*

I'm not one to hide info, so FYI:

I paid $27,000 for a 2005 VLX

Engine: Monsoon 340 w/ 350hours

Tower: Titan 3

Teak Platform

Perfect Pass

2012 Tandem McClain trailer

Bow Ballast Hard-tanks

perfect condition minus some chrome peeling on the dash, a blown speaker and a single scratch on the port side

Edited by jonredcorn
  • 3 weeks later...

Does the VLX sit higher on the trailer vs the Vride?

Also, are the trailers the same width for both boats? Dealer told me yes the trailers are same width. :dontknow:

The newer VLX sits higher than the older Vride when on the trailer. If you compared the older VLX & Vride or the newer VLX & Vride, then they are the same.

As I recall, even the different makes of trailers for the same boat aren't the same widths (Extreme vs Boatmate vs Ryan vs ????). Some had wider fenders than others. No idea if the newer VLX trailers are the same as the older Vride trailer. When I was buying I had my tape measure out on every boat I looked at. Even updating the bunks or tires would effect some of these measurements, not to mention what tower is on the boat.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Does the VLX sit higher on the trailer vs the Vride?

Also, are the trailers the same width for both boats? Dealer told me yes the trailers are same width. :dontknow:

1. Yes, the VLX sits higher.

2. Probably best to ask for people with both boats for measurements.

I have the torsion suspension, didn't have to lower at all with a 7ft door. Unless the previous owner did it..haha Couldn't be happier with my '05. Hope the deal goes through.

I have the torsion suspension, didn't have to lower at all with a 7ft door. Unless the previous owner did it..haha Couldn't be happier with my '05. Hope the deal goes through.

Careful, many cannot. Your trailer may have a low-rider option that allows you to do this. I would never have gotten my '06 under a 7' door without lowering it.

Careful, many cannot. Your trailer may have a low-rider option that allows you to do this. I would never have gotten my '06 under a 7' door without lowering it.

I've been wrong before, I'll be the first to admit :)

The point is, if the OP buys an '05+ VLX, he can't be guaranteed to get it under a 7' garage, even if he lowers the trailer. Trailers for these boats have enough variance that there is no guarantee. And that doesn't even address what tower that the boat may have, because that's yet another factor (T3 on some years vs. Illusion X).

This proves when giving advice, a lot of factors that go into buying a boat besides wake, room, surf wave, tower, price, family/friends, this model is better vs that model, reliability, ballast, etc. is will the thing fit in the garage.

My garage door height is 81" tall and I will have to bring it in whenever weather threatens.

Its either spend money on a shed or buy a boat and let it sit outside if its too big.

I guess there is always this ugly shed in my yard - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200314344_200314344?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Tarps%2C%20Canopies%20%2B%20Shelters-_-Vehicle%20Ports-_-65460&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=65460&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=65460&gclid=CJy62-SVocQCFY-HaQodSBMASA

Edited by sonny20

2006 VLX, illusion tower (wake hull)

Boatmate trailer

I made a notch in the jamb/trim in my garage door and its a standard 7 footer. I run the tires a little on the low side and have my drop hitch on to get the angle right. Sounds like a lot of work, but really, once you've figured out the formula to make it work, its just repetition. I never tow very far so I have no issue towing with tires that aren't at the exact recommended pressure or a boat that isn't being towed perfectly level.

As you eluded to, go look at the boats and make sure you are buying the RIGHT BOAT, not the right wake, or buying based off its ability to fit in a space. In your situation, both caveats can easily be overcome.