Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

More quality issues with ballast on '15 T22's?

Raimie

So most of you are aware of the complete fail of the ballast port placement on the '14 T22's that caused the ballast to drain while underway. (Ports rear of lockers).

I thought Axis corrected this issue by moving the ports forward of the rear locker where they belong (see every other boat in the Malibu/Axis lineup)

I was looking on onlyinboards today and saw that some of the 15 T22's have the ports rear of the lockers like the 14's and some have them forward. I was disappointed to see this. This was a no brainier fix and apparently there will be some disappointed '15 owners that will have the same ballast issues as we dealt with.

http://onlyinboards.com/used-ski-boats/?MakerName=16&YearFrom=2015&YearTo=&PriceFrom=&PriceTo=&Model=217&ZIP=&Distance=

Which hose does water drain from? The drain pump or the tank vent? I know you don't want to do extra work (and shouldn't have to), but looping the hose up toward the front of the locker should fix that.

Edited by boardjnky4

Yea I had the same issue my T22. The dealer was supposed to install check valves for me to keep this from happening. Raime do you have any other links or documented info on the issue? I want to make sure I have my problem fixed.

Which hose does water drain from? The drain pump or the tank vent?

The water will drain from both the drain port and the vent port if you have the vent line hooked up.

I know you don't want to do extra work (and shouldn't have to), but looping the hose up toward the front of the locker should fix that.

Sorry, I find it unacceptable to spend 60k on a new boat and have to drill a hole in the hull and route a line so that your factory installed p-n-p ballast doesn't drain while you are trying to use it.

BlknYlw - My dealer installed a port forward of the rear lockers and ran the vent lines to it. This did eliminate the auto-draining, but now I have 2 extra holes in the boat. The dealer tried several different approaches to fix this and this was the only way they could correct the issue.

Malibu/Axis knows about this, why are they selling 2 versions of the '15 T22...one with the holes rear of the locker, one in front?

The water will drain from both the drain port and the vent port if you have the vent line hooked up.

Sorry, I find it unacceptable to spend 60k on a new boat and have to drill a hole in the hull and route a line so that your factory installed p-n-p ballast doesn't drain while you are trying to use it.

BlknYlw - My dealer installed a port forward of the rear lockers and ran the vent lines to it. This did eliminate the auto-draining, but now I have 2 extra holes in the boat. The dealer tried several different approaches to fix this and this was the only way they could correct the issue.

Malibu/Axis knows about this, why are they selling 2 versions of the '15 T22...one with the holes rear of the locker, one in front?

I wasn't suggesting drilling a new hole in the hull. I was suggesting routing up toward the front of the locker then back to the existing ports. I know it's not ideal...

I wonder if those 2015's are an early build? Since I had this issue I was watching for new one's. I noticed that some of the 2015s that came out in Oct had the ports in the rear of the locker. But the one's later had them in the front.

Here's what I did.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50436-2015-axis-tower-change/?p=747556

Yea I had the same issue my T22. The dealer was supposed to install check valves for me to keep this from happening. Raime do you have any other links or documented info on the issue? I want to make sure I have my problem fixed.

I don't see how a check valve would fix this?

I don't see how a check valve would fix this?

Yea I wasn't sure either. I am going to show them a picture from your post. Was the work warrantied?

I have a '15 T22 and my through holes are in the rear of the locker. I have noticed them drain a tiny bit, but I tee'd into the factory vent line when I added my bags and I raised the hoses up higher in the lockers. If it continues to drain I will just run new lines that loop towards the front of the boat and come back.

Yea I wasn't sure either. I am going to show them a picture from your post. Was the work warrantied?

Was the work done under warranty? No. Bad design so not really considered defective. The dealer and I did the work about 4 weeks after I took delivery. No cost. Took about an hour.

Was the work done under warranty? No. Bad design so not really considered defective. The dealer and I did the work about 4 weeks after I took delivery. No cost. Took about an hour.

I guess that was what I was getting at. Didn't know if they charged you for the labor.

• 2 weeks later...

The '14 A22 have the ports located at the front of the locker. This is why I didn't understand your issue on the axis forum. Definitely seems like a design flaw.

Sent from my SPH-L710

The '14 A22 have the ports located at the front of the locker. This is why I didn't understand your issue on the axis forum. Definitely seems like a design flaw.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Yup, design flaw. Only the T22 had the ports at the rear of the lockers...

I chat with the owner/mgr of my local dealer who is a high volume Malibu/Axis dealer. Sent him an email about the draining issue on the T22 and he said not one T22 came back for the issue but he'll keep an eye on such issues.

I chat with the owner/mgr of my local dealer who is a high volume Malibu/Axis dealer. Sent him an email about the draining issue on the T22 and he said not one T22 came back for the issue but he'll keep an eye on such issues.

Yea I talked with one of the Axis Engineers (he does towers and interiors) at the boat show on Sunday and said they weren't aware of such an issue. My boat definitely drains like Raime states. He wants me to take pictures and send them to the dealer and then have them forwarded on to him.

Yea I talked with one of the Axis Engineers (he does towers and interiors) at the boat show on Sunday and said they weren't aware of such an issue. My boat definitely drains like Raime states. He wants me to take pictures and send them to the dealer and then have them forwarded on to him.

??? This is ballast 101. If the water in the bags is higher then the drain lines your gonna lose water with aerator pumps. Come on!

With the thru hulls in the back, and unless you route the lines higher then the bags ever get, the water will force out through either vent or drain line. Especially when the bow rises underway.

Edited by teamerickson

Ok, this has me upset. I just called Malibu and talked to Dan in warranty/technical support. Nice guy. He knew what I was talking about and is aware it can be an issue. I pleaded with him to please put the thru hulls in the front of the lockers like every other boat. He was going to call engineering after he got of the phone with me a relay my concerns.

Obviously they know about it since they paid my dealer to fix it on at least 3 boats. (Last July)

If you don't surf, you would not notice/have the issue.

Still...why do some '15 T22's have them moved and others don't?