Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

v6 F-150 towing

robbennett

Anyone tow with the naturally aspirated 3.7, 3.5 or 2.7 ecoboost yet? I'm in the market for a fuel efficient tow vehicle.

It made me smile this morning to see this post. There has been nothing but talk about the f150 lately. Wait until Said sees this.

• Like 4

Does anyone have the 2015 yet? That's the main thing I am curious about. I've seen a lot about the 3.5 ecoboost but the new 2015 with 2.7 ecoboost claims 8200 lbs with 4x4 supercab and 3.73 axle. That seems like plenty for my little vlx. The 3.5 naturally aspirated claims 7200 lbs with the same configuration.

OP is asking about the non Eco 6. No info on the new v6 but I towed with the 4.0l v6 for years. the biggest boat I pulled was my 21.5 V drive Centurion on a single axel trailer up and down I75 in Michigan. It did well but no hills to speak of. I don't recall the fuel economy pulling the boat.

I did pull my 23' enclosed snowmobile trailer one time with my 3.5L Explorer maybe 200 miles it did a better job then I would have thought but I did not log fuel economy. It was not very good.

It all depends on how far you are towing lol, 2 miles down the road or you trying to take it 3 hours up hill both ways. Those little motors will defiantly be screaming. how much better mpg are we really talking about unloaded?

My brother has the 2015 Expedition Eco. He has been getting 18mpg overall. He likes it much better then the V8. It is a much better drive, the Eco is a winner for everyone I have talked with in all the vehicles. I have a 2.0L Eco in a Lincoln MKC and love the vehicle the little SUV is impressive. Its getting 22 mpg overall.

We will be taking my brothers Eco wit the snowmobile trailer for a good trip in two weeks. I am waiting to see how the fuel economy does.

It all depends on how far you are towing lol, 2 miles down the road or you trying to take it 3 hours up hill both ways. Those little motors will defiantly be screaming. how much better mpg are we really talking about unloaded?

There is supposedly a 2mpg difference between the 3.5 and 5.0L

17/23 vs 15/21 for 4wd trucks

Not enough to make mileage a reason to get the little engine

I pulled an A24 up and down a 2kft elevation roadway repeatedly last year with an Ecoboost F150 platinum 4x4. It did way way way better than the Yukon Denali I had before. I'm getting 15.8 mpg average. People who claim 20+ mpg are lying, unless they have a 2wd truck and live where there are no changes in elevation.

The Ecoboost F150s get horrible gas mileage when towing. Good power but horrible mileage. My neighbor gets 8mpg pulling his T22. I get 12 when pulling my A24 with my NA 6.2 f150 Raptor

You get exactly the same fuel mileage towing an A24, as you do not towing at all?

I got about 7-8mpg towing the x30 with the Raptor.

Went on a snowmobiling trip last month, and got 10.2 mpg on the 600 mile round trip, pulling a 3 place 7x16 v-nose. My salesmans 2014 supercrew EB (also my truck) got over 13 pulling the same size trailer with one less sled on it.

Most of the poor fuel economy in the Raptor is due to the 35" tires. No getting around that. But after owning 2 raptors , 2 6.2 FX4s, and having 4 EB sales rigs, one thing I can say, is that the EB might not get stellar fuel mileage towing, but it is way better than the 6.2l.... In my experience.

As to the original question....... Its gonna be screaming in the hills, but it will pull it.

I have the 5.4. The way I look at it, go big or go home, when it come to pulling, I want the power and comfort

of knowing it's all there when I need it, mileage is the last thing I worry about, to a degree that is.

Then again I live in BC, nothing but mountains to go through in every direction!

• Like 1

My brother has the 2015 Expedition Eco. He has been getting 18mpg overall. He likes it much better then the V8. It is a much better drive, the Eco is a winner for everyone I have talked with in all the vehicles. I have a 2.0L Eco in a Lincoln MKC and love the vehicle the little SUV is impressive. Its getting 22 mpg overall.

We will be taking my brothers Eco wit the snowmobile trailer for a good trip in two weeks. I am waiting to see how the fuel economy does.

You're getting 22mpg from a small SUV and this impresses you? I had a Saturn Vue in a past life that on a bad day got 25mpg.

We also have a very short tow to the launch and considered this option. I still have a 2001 F-150 Towncar with the 4.6L and airbag suspension / tow hitch just in case I change my mind...

Gets ~22mpg normally but I'm too afraid to try towing yet... or ever.

329886_10150443246412369_990701468_o_zps

Edited by jonredcorn

I have a 2013 F150 FX4 with Eco and 35" tires 3.73 gears and I average around 15mpg combined driving (highway and city)and 10.8-11 towing long distances 4+ hours. I averaged 13.8 this past weekend taking the boat to the dealer which is 45 minutes away and all highway. Kept off the gas and held at 60mph. If you are really concerned about fuel economy, drop to the 3.55 or 3.31 and I think the economy will improve.

You get exactly the same fuel mileage towing an A24, as you do not towing at all?

I get avg of 14.5 when not towing. 12 when towing to the lake. Granted I keep it at 70 and there are not really any big hills. The Ecoboost does get better mileage when not towing. It doesn't get what they claim though. My neighbor tows the exact route I do and gets 8mpg. I didn't buy the Raptor for fuel economy but was surprised it did so well towing with 35s on each corner. I tow most of the time with my truck. Hunting, fishing, camper and A24. Happy with the way it tows. Thought about a diesel but my truck sits a lot and that's not good on a diesel. Those bad boys are made to run and pull a lot all the time.

Edited by Smokinjo

You're getting 22mpg from a small SUV and this impresses you? I had a Saturn Vue in a past life that on a bad day got 25mpg.

edit.. whoops read too fast. Edited by ajeep4u