Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My Build Sheet for my Bow Ballast Installation

Cory

Does anyone see a problem with mounting Johnson Pumps to the floor under the seats as opposed to on the seat base. I ask because it appears my VTX the pumps are too tall to mount in that location as well as in the V Drive ( I want to keep the pizza tray). The manual says you can mount these in any direction. I realize this will take up some storage room but am not overly concerned.

The Johnson should fit under your seat mounted to the seat base......at least it does in mine.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42101-2011-vtx-johnson-pump-1100-bags-install/?hl=1100

^^ not my install but my pump is mounted in a similar location.

yes, but only 650lbs, for $10 more you get the fly high 1000, they should make a threaded burp valve for the flyhigh bags too

According to wake makers that 650 sumo with there rear custom bags are a nice setup. Hoping I don't need to buy a 1000 pounder. I believe the sumo 650 weighed in at 730ish on the scale, they seem to under rate there bag weight.

Does anyone see a problem with mounting Johnson Pumps to the floor under the seats as opposed to on the seat base. I ask because it appears my VTX the pumps are too tall to mount in that location as well as in the V Drive ( I want to keep the pizza tray). The manual says you can mount these in any direction. I realize this will take up some storage room but am not overly concerned.

Would also recommend mounting upside down so you can easily access impeller if needed. I did this when I installed them on my friends MB and it worked out great. Will be doing same upside down mount on my vlx.

Would also recommend mounting upside down so you can easily access impeller if needed. I did this when I installed them on my friends MB and it worked out great. Will be doing same upside down mount on my vlx.

I would recommend NOT doing that because if/when the impeller leaks it will get water into the mechanicals and burn up the pump. That's how mastercraft used to do it and there are plenty of angry mc owners who will confirm.

I would recommend NOT doing that because if/when the impeller leaks it will get water into the mechanicals and burn up the pump. That's how mastercraft used to do it and there are plenty of angry mc owners who will confirm.

yep, plenty of rusted motors.

Ah man, my theory is debunked :( ... I figured a motor that leaked would just need to be replaced anyway. Are you referring to the gasket leaking on top plate? If the actual motor seal fails can you rebuild them? I must have be lucky, four years of using these and never a leak. My friend has 380 hours on his MB and never a problem with a leaky pump.

Ah man, my theory is debunked :( ... I figured a motor that leaked would just need to be replaced anyway. Are you referring to the gasket leaking on top plate? If the actual motor seal fails can you rebuild them? I must have be lucky, four years of using these and never a leak. My friend has 380 hours on his MB and never a problem with a leaky pump.

Its the shaft seal at the back of the pump head that will leak into the motor. Its usually not a catastrophic failure, but a slight leak over time. Eventually, the motor will rust to a point a fail.

According to wake makers that 650 sumo with there rear custom bags are a nice setup. Hoping I don't need to buy a 1000 pounder. I believe the sumo 650 weighed in at 730ish on the scale, they seem to under rate there bag weight.

True on the under weight..

Btw. Avatar change... Are you now Hman?

What about mounting on there side, would still be able to access the cover plate and if they did leak seems like it would not be going directly into motor??? I am trying to install these so IF I needed to replace an impeller it would be a 5 min job on the lake/houseboat, etc... easy. How I mounted in the past in upright is a bit of a hassle having to remove mounting screws, disconnect hose lines, etc... would not be fun to do on the lake.

FMan,

Horizontal is is fine. The trick to servicing them is to just pull the mounting screws on one side and the base plate slides off the other two screws. The just turn it as needed to service the impeller.

A couple of comments, sorry I'm late to this thread.

The Flow-Rite plug fitting DOES NOT reliably seal a Flow-Rite socket. We'll have a solution for that soon (along with a true 1" Flow-Rite Socket fitting which will eliminate the need to heat hose), but for right now you need to do something else. We typically use a bag plug fitting like our 33092 Dry-Lok fitting and thread a 1" NPT cap to seal it off.

Any reversible pump needs to be mounted so that the pump head is lower than the motor. You can mount the pump at an angle Travis, but be aware that depending on the attitude of the boat in the water, if the angle isn't enough you can end up with the motor being below the pump head, which is what exposes you to failure due to corrosion of the motor as mentioned by others.