Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"Help" Another swim platform question

Hi Guys

I am in need of some advice regarding My swim platform it is looking very sad it has been like this right from when I got the boat last summer, It is time to start the tidy up process on a few things, It seems to have a fibreglass patch over the outside board and the rest looks to be done with a varnish or some kind of coating, At the risk of starting the age old argument tell me your thoughts cover up Rhino liner or similar, Teak Oil, varnish or sealer.

I have been going through as much info and discussions as I could find but am yet to come up with a solid plan. At this stage my plan is to sand right back to bare, wash and clean than seal with something like teak guard, one of my problems is I am not sure Teak Guard is even available in Australia. I am also worried that the glass patch was put on due to a split in the board. I am hoping if that's not the case I can trim and shape the damage out of the board.

post-23533-0-19218500-1422688592_thumb.j

post-23533-0-34044200-1422688614_thumb.j

I would patch with epoxy, sand for evenness and then Rhino Line it. I just don't see it being cosmetically appealing otherwise. You could pic a color and it would be fine.

You need to assess further the condition of that outer most board. Use a sharp knife to cut off the fiberglass, and get a look at the wood. Then you can decide why it was glassed in the first place. It may need to be replaced. If it is just cracked you can repair it with wood glue and clamps. Replacement will be a little more difficult, but it is not a advanced carpentry project. Sourcing the wood will be the most difficult part, but use the internet, and its do-able. Once repaired, sand it all down with 60 grit on a belt sander, and finish with teak oil. Wood oils are readily available most everywhere, or you can use baby oil or tranny fluid in a pinch. Never use varnish, polyurethane, or tung oil.

I really like the teak platforms. You should save it if you can. I'm a little sad the new boats are going to fiberglass platforms.

Teak online:

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/marine-teak-lumber-7/8-inch-thick?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=13770-42404&gclid=CMSrhcGVvsMCFQeBaQodB5sAXw

Edited by brazosvet

couldn't you just replace that stern most piece of teak?

The rest of it seems restore-able with some hard work.

Clearly the original owner of the boat didn't follow the guidance of the teak owning TMC members. Ehhh...just slap some fiberglass on it

Truly sad to see what was done, now it is time for you to save the teak. A teak platform is beautiful and adds class when taken care of, it really is not thay much work to maintain a good appearance. Saving yours will take somr real effort, but will be worth it in the end. Get the fiberglass off and then try to figure out why someone would do that. Some have found good results with a full disassembly cleaning/sanding then reassembly. keep us posted on how it is going. some of us really love the teak look.

http://www.starbrite.com/category/teak-care-copy

Edited by REW

I've had several teak swimsteps & if you actually keep the boat on the lake, in a boat slip, and use the boat weighted so it spends a lot of time underwater, then their a nightmare to keep up. I was going thru this several years ago & tried to sell my teak swimstep here so I could upgrade to a fiberglass one & no one wanted it in over a year.

So in the end this is what I did. I had the teak swimstep sprayed with Linex bedliner. The reason was because that particular product has several options for the grit. They can do a hard sandy texture, but I thought it would suck to be climbing around on in board shorts or a bikini. They have a soft rubber texture, or they will do no texture at all, which turns out like a smooth orange peel look. Then I stuck a surf board deck bad type material down on it. I've probably done 20 of these swimsteps by now & everyone really likes them. Here is my own current one. It's like 5 yrs old now & still looks great.

20130609_124003_zps900a9dc9.jpg

Heres one I did years ago that is similar to yours. The owner loved it. He sold the boat 3 or 4 yrs afterwards & it was still doin great.

traxxampslot_zps0ea13b20.jpg

Never varnish teak. Sand it down to smooth dare wood and only use teak oil.

I totally agree...except not too smooth. 60 grit wet sanding is plenty and still provides grip. This particular deck looks like it might not be worth the effort based on the picture, but who knows. Removing fiberglass that might be structural (for some reason) could make it worse. With all the time and effort to rebuild this one the OP might find a brand new one without the slots a better fit.

• Like 1

I totally agree...except not too smooth. 60 grit wet sanding is plenty and still provides grip. This particular deck looks like it might not be worth the effort based on the picture, but who knows. Removing fiberglass that might be structural (for some reason) could make it worse. With all the time and effort to rebuild this one the OP might find a brand new one without the slots a better fit.

Or even more grit.

A couple years ago we were at Banks lake with a bunch of foil riders. One of the guys had a nice LSV, like a 2004 or 5. He'd read on here how all you have to do is sand it & oil it. While we all had the boats in the slips, talking & unloading gear, his wife stepped on his swimstep (maybe a 1' drop down from the dock), slipped & fell down between the boat & the dock, knocking herself silly all the way down. :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I've been interested in trying Teak Guard but haven't found any. Doesn't really bother me as oiling every few weeks is my zen time and brings the deck back to new. From what I've read - teak oil is just linseed oil.

My deck looked similar to yours when I bought the boat as a previous owner had varnished the timber. Sanding it back was fairly easy and brings amazing results.

Awsome guys thanks for the help. I guess there are a few options for me, once I get it all pulled apart, sanded and cleaned the answer will be clear. I have looked into a teak supplier reasonably close to me so if I need to replace the outside board that will be easy enough.

The more I read and look into it the more I want to stay Original, The Boat is a classic (well to me anyway) In saying that I think something like Bill's last photo would look pretty smart with the matching Aqua Blue and Yellow speck.

I am on a 2 week on and 2 week off roster, so the choirs build up for when I get home. I will just have to see how the oiling every break goes. If I find myself getting lazy I think I will look into the teak guard or similar for the same look but less maintenance.

I will post some photo's of the progress as it happens.

Thanks again

That last board looks to me like someone tried to extend it for some reason. I agree with Brazosvet's suggestion to peel the fiberglass off and check it to see what's going on. One piece of teak to replace that will not be too expensive if that's what you need to do.

• 7 months later...

Hi I finally got the platform off, it was a journey getting the clear and glass off but the heat gun and paint scraper were the go. there is no real problems with it just need to get allot of coats of oil into it now.

post-23533-0-48004200-1441804000_thumb.j

post-23533-0-58846100-1441804015_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hi guys

Finished the deck. I am happy with it, if anything it might be a little dark, I got 3 coats of Feast Watson outdoor furniture oil for Teak. (any feedback on this product would be good) Teak oil is not so common out here. there was a 1 to 2 week lead time. I am a little impatient and wanted to put the boat in for a quick board before I head back out to work. It will be interesting to see how long this product lasts, hopefully it does not damage the teak permanently.

Thanks for all the feedback and advise it was much appreciated.

next projects are a rudder rebuild, steering cable change out , and fit perfect pass.

post-23533-0-67691000-1441967749_thumb.j

post-23533-0-53115000-1441967763_thumb.j

• Like 3