Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Dash - Bluetooth Sound Quality

pkh

I heard another boat at the dealer yesterday that had this same issue sound issue, it fades in and out. I believe its just the RF Bluetooth dongle that connects to the RFX6000 is garage.

LUCKILY: Malibu has a fix that involves using the dash itself, Medallion Viper II, for the bluetooth audio. The dash already has Bluetooth support but requires a dealer installed firmware upgrade to activate.

I got to see how it works on another boat and hope to get my boat upgraded next week. I kind of get the feeling seeing the new Bluetooth interface that this is the way Malibu intended it to work and the RF box was just temporary.

I heard another boat at the dealer yesterday that had this same issue sound issue, it fades in and out. I believe its just the RF Bluetooth dongle that connects to the RFX6000 is garage.

LUCKILY: Malibu has a fix that involves using the dash itself, Medallion Viper II, for the bluetooth audio. The dash already has Bluetooth support but requires a dealer installed firmware upgrade to activate.

I got to see how it works on another boat and hope to get my boat upgraded next week. I kind of get the feeling seeing the new Bluetooth interface that this is the way Malibu intended it to work and the RF box was just temporary.

Were either one of the boats with the "issue" or the "fix" a metallic black 22 VLX? :)

Edited by Cory

Haha no we saw the issue in one of the LSVs, I am sure you will get the fix but probably good to double check with Gerry before you pick your boat up.

BTW, sick color scheme! Can't wait to see it in the sun!

• 3 weeks later...

Some bad news discovered today - When using the Viper II source for Bluetooth, the next / prev track and play / pause on the sport joystick do not work. :(

So basically if you do anything outside of plug in an iPod to the glovebox area the stereo controls are useless for anything besides volume, and IMO its actually a pretty crappy volume knob because it adds a beeping noise as its changing volume and has a built in delay unlike a true analog knob like on any EQ.

Malibu has succeeded in making a really looking dash that does not actually function. Sweet.

(actually the phone holder admittedly works great)

Edited by pkh

Some bad news discovered today - When using the Viper II source for Bluetooth, the next / prev track and play / pause on the sport joystick do not work. :(

So basically if you do anything outside of plug in an iPod to the dash area the stereo controls are useless for anything besides volume, and IMO its actually a pretty crappy volume knob because it adds a beeping noise as its changing volume and has a built in delay unlike a true analog knob like on any EQ.

Malibu has succeeded in making a really looking dash that does not actually function. Sweet.

Have you received the updated BT module for the viper II that David mentioned?

Yes this is with the new screen and updated firmware to support BT in Viper II.

If the problem is with the Viper 2 module, can't we just use the RF module, or is there also a problem with that. (My '15 LSV isn't here yet, but was built in January, so probably also shares this BT 'issue'.)

Have you located the Viper 2 module, and is it an easy job to swap the new one in?

My understanding from these forums is that the RF module allow the use of the Joystick, but doesn't display track info on the Dashboard. Is that right?

Whereas the Viper 2 does display the info on the dash, but the Joystick track controls don't work. Is that also right?

Thanks

Well now I'm sooooo thrilled I paid out the nose for factory audio this year. I did that specifically for the big knob (which sucks as a volume control) and the intwgration with the screen. What a scam! Should have just gone stereo delete again.

Yes I think every round of failed troubleshooting and disappointment in the features I get closer to just doing straight ZLD.

I've decided I'm going to reserve judgement until I get my situation completely installed and I run it through its paces.

In your case, I'm confident AWS and Samson will get it straightened out.

• 4 weeks later...

I reported in another thread that I did experience fading in and out of the BT signal. I took my boat in last week and was surprised to find out my dealer installed an updated RF BT module, I was expecting to be trying the Viper BT. When they contacted Malibu about the volume fading they advised them about the RF update. I played at the dealer and several times since, no issues with SQ and all remote functions still work. It showed up on my phone as a different device and connected automatically. I even walked a 50' radius around the boat without a blip, so far it looks very promising!

I reported in another thread that I did experience fading in and out of the BT signal. I took my boat in last week and was surprised to find out my dealer installed an updated RF BT module, I was expecting to be trying the Viper BT. When they contacted Malibu about the volume fading they advised them about the RF update. I played at the dealer and several times since, no issues with SQ and all remote functions still work. It showed up on my phone as a different device and connected automatically. I even walked a 50' radius around the boat without a blip, so far it looks very promising!

Interesting! What was the name of the device when pairing? Still RFX-6000 or whatever?

As far as I know there is only one type of dongle but maybe they had a bad batch or really did upgrade them. Or maybe they have a new source? Did you try the stereo controls?

RFXBT_1_m.png

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/rfxbt

Yes, It shows up as RFX6000-SX but as a different source and I deleted the old one. My service Mgr said it was the same module but confirmed it had a different number; I would check, but it and the black box is mountd behind my amp rack. All he functions of the stereo controls do work as they should.

Yeah mine was built in November... I think Cory's is a little newer. I know I have heard this issue on at least one other boat from our dealer, not sure on the build date.

WTF is with Malibu having known warranty issues and not replacing automatically?

I will probably stick with my AudioEngine source as I know its super solid, but maybe I will try to get a new dongle so I have it handy if i ever decide to revert to factory HU. Either way, thanks for the heads up!

I have a RFX5000 with BT. It digest seem like I can change tracks on the head unit or the transom remote when my iPhone 6 is connected via BT. Do I need to change the BT dongle or get a WS420?

I have a RFX5000 with BT. It digest seem like I can change tracks on the head unit or the transom remote when my iPhone 6 is connected via BT. Do I need to change the BT dongle or get a WS420?

With the RF dongle you should be able to change tracks.

I've only got my stereo about half installed, and haven't been on the water yet, but in testing my inboats the viper bt sounds great. Had the dongle in my 14 and its sound quality definitely lacked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viper II with iPhone works the best in our 2015. It shows exactly what's playing on screen two and interacts with the transom control and screen two so you can leave your phone wherever. I found a lot of issues when connected to the Bluetooth setting including the speakers blaring incoming calls regardless of the volume setting on the boat or the phone. Sound quality and all functionality has been perfect under this setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Viper II source sounded great until I turned the motor on :(

I'm surprised its working with the transom remote? I assumed since the Sport Dash controls didn't work then the transom wouldn't either, but I can't remember if I tested.

I'm still rockin this bad boy:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54069-audioengine-b1-for-bluetooth-source/