Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Dash - Bluetooth Sound Quality

pkh

Can anyone vouch for the quality of the bluetooth audio in the new 2015's with RFX6000-SX w/ RFXBT dongle?

It sounded funky to me so I compared with a line-in and think I can confirm it doesn't sound good. I am using an iPhone 6.

It sounds compressed and distorted. The more complex the music the worse it gets. I compared to a direct line in.

Am I crazy?

The 2015 does use the Rockford BT over the medallion unit into the AUX, that was offered in previous years. I can say for sure, the sound quality and signal strength is heads above! The AUX in 6000 is even far better then the 5000 and older series. No i phones here, but we used 3 android phones and a tablet, and all sounded excellent.

It appears by the manual you can turn on the Medallion/Viper II BT for use of the perfect pull app, so it may also stream music??? I agree with MLA on the RF 6000 BT, the limited use I've had with an iPhone 6 is excellent SQ and connectivity.

Hmmm, maybe they knocked the connection loose on the module when doing stereo work or something... I'd really love for it to work as the new Dash is not as slick without Bluetooth, since all the other line-in connections are in the glove box. Its too bad they don't support USB from a phone using the USB port directly below the phone holder.

Edited by pkh

Hmmm, maybe they knocked the connection loose on the module when doing stereo work or something... I'd really love for it to work as the new Dash is not as slick without Bluetooth, since all the other line-in connections are in the glove box. Its too bad they don't support USB from a phone using the USB port directly below the phone holder.

So, that USB port is ONLY for charging???

I think I bought a car stereo 4 years ago that could take USB in from IPhone for less than 200 bucks. Not sure why this would be so hard to do. Maybe they are just counting on BT streaming which would be nice but sounds like a** at least in my tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I bought a car stereo 4 years ago that could take USB in from IPhone for less than 200 bucks. Not sure why this would be so hard to do. Maybe they are just counting on BT streaming which would be nice but sounds like a** at least in my tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy I sure hope your experience with the new BT streaming is an anomaly.

As you probably know I was on the fence about the factory stereo. Before placing my order I went to AWS to really test the stereo integration, particularly the BT streaming. My experience was that it was super easy to connect to, even switching among multiple phones on board (unlike the previous BT experience). The sound quality was pretty good too considering it had factory sub and only had one pair of Rev 8's on the 500w RF amp.

Now I'm nervous...

So, that USB port is ONLY for charging???

No... it's actually there for service techs to load software updates. The fact that it has power is pure upside. It was never meant for music, although I agree with Phil... it should be.

And why not lightning connection in dash. 30 pin is sooooo 2012. [emoji12]

As you probably know I was on the fence about the factory stereo. Before placing my order I went to AWS to really test the stereo integration, particularly the BT streaming. My experience was that it was super easy to connect to, even switching among multiple phones on board (unlike the previous BT experience). The sound quality was pretty good too considering it had factory sub and only had one pair of Rev 8's on the 500w RF amp.

Now I'm nervous...

it's a $50 fix with a dongle into your eq if you don't like the factory BT solution.

it's a $50 fix with a dongle into your eq if you don't like the factory BT solution.

What EQ? I'm not planning to run one this year.

Besides, I think your missing my point. I don't want to have to buy some add on BT receiver. That's the whole point of my test I did... out-of-the-box stereo controls and connectivity integration is the goal.

And I did in fact buy the BT dingle of choice last year from Crutchfield. It was DOA. Very frustrating experience.

Why is BT in boats so far behind the times? I can stream music effortlessly from my living through my truck in the garage. Why can't we do it in boats that are at most 24' long?

More HU's should offer BT

More EQ's should offer BT

wires and plugs are so 2009...

• Like 2

What EQ? I'm not planning to run one this year.

Besides, I think your missing my point. I don't want to have to buy some add on BT receiver. That's the whole point of my test I did... out-of-the-box stereo controls and connectivity integration is the goal.

And I did in fact buy the BT dingle of choice last year from Crutchfield. It was DOA. Very frustrating experience.

That's not the dongle I'd recommend anyway.... ;)

Oh no EQ.... forgot about that. interested to see how you like that with the new dash.

Is sound quality the same between a hard wired connection and blue tooth?

I had Bluetooth on my 13, frustration for me was switching devices. It just got to be a little bit of a headache because everyone had there own play list they want to hear. And occasionally a device would not sync up which was always the person wanting to ride. Just seems so much easier to plug in and be done with it.

• Like 2

I had Bluetooth on my 13, frustration for me was switching devices. It just got to be a little bit of a headache because everyone had there own play list they want to hear. And occasionally a device would not sync up which was always the person wanting to ride. Just seems so much easier to plug in and be done with it.

Ordered BT on our Axis and never even used it. Honestly, don't even know if it works. Always went straight to plugging my phone on because of charging and sound quality. I had BT streaming in my '14 GMC Sierra and there was a noticeable difference between hardwired and BT.

Edited by BlknYlwT22

With a good BT dongle I can't tell a SQ difference (but I've had a few bad ones which are terrible).

If you switch between devices a lot then yes I agree, hard wired might be better. For us if it's not on my phone it's not getting played.

Why is BT in boats so far behind the times? I can stream music effortlessly from my living through my truck in the garage. Why can't we do it in boats that are at most 24' long?

More HU's should offer BT

More EQ's should offer BT

wires and plugs are so 2009...

Are they really?

Alpine offered a BT until they got out of the head-unit biz.

Sony

Fusion

Clarion

Rockford

JVC

Kenwood

Polk

Am im forgetting any marine head-unit manufacturers? Their range and sound quality varies like anything else, but there are some solid integrated and external BT head-units out there.

Wet Sounds offers an external universal marine BT that has excellent range and sound quality.

The Wet Sounds WS420BT EQ has integrated Blue Tooth

The first thing I noticed was how good the BT was and that was with the base in-boat factory system.

Pkh are you sure your BT connection was to the RF unit, my phone found it as RFX6000-SX.

Yeah it comes up as RFX6000. I did A / B test with a line-in, with the line-in everything sounded fine.

The sound issue with the Bluetooth was weird, it sounded like it kept getting softer and then louder. I also feel like it sounded compressed.

I had a 2013 with the Medallion Bluetooth and never had any issue. If its still an option to use it i might try that. I am not opposed to plugging directly in just wanted to keep the next / prev track functionality of the stereo controls on the dash and on the transom. I verified with dealer today he has heard the issue on other boats and is going to follow up with Malibu.

Now I'm nervous...

I'm hoping its only me and / or an easy to fix issue. The pairing process with the new BT was easy and my connection seems strong but I just have this funky experience with the volume fading in and out. Its subtle and I was starting to think it was just me but it sounds like it has happened before in other boats. Not sure if its a source issue with iPhone or something that happens only in certain circumstances.

At first I thought it was the auto volume controls since the GPS speed control was confused while I was inside testing, so I disabled auto volume. Still heard it... I also didn't hear any issues when using line-in in the glove box or directly into back of EQ.

If I can't solve it I may either use an AirPlay Enabler (I happen to have one sitting here) or make myself a direct line-in cable that is right below cell phone holder. Just didn't think with my 2 year old newer boat I would be going backwards, 2013 BT system was hard to connect to but had great sound quality IMO.