Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best tower speaker upgrade

Yuey

I have a 2014 vlx with a single pair of Titan alpha 2 speakers on the tower. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but with the system cranked behind the boat you can hardly hear them.

Is it set wrong? Or other people experience the same ?

Should I add another pair of Titan alpha 2 ?

Or should I get rid of the set I have and upgrade them with something else?

If so what should I get?

I new at this and appreciate the input.

What you have is likely under powered, as well as tuned very conservatively. Retuning would help. It would take a ton of additional amp wattage, in order to make a real difference. Adding a 2nd pair would be an easier way to increase the output, but, if you are looking for a wake range projection setup, those traditional coax are going to be lacking, no matter the number or wattage feeding them. You may need to invest in an HLCD and new amp.

• Like 1

Reality is you need a pair of Exile XM9's or Wet Sounds Rev-10's to project sound to a wake boarder. These are both awesome options but will cost about a $1,000 per pair.

• Like 2

Yuey,

You likely have several shortcomings that are keeping you from getting adequate amplitude at wake range.

A traditional 6X9 is an automotive speaker that was intended to be heard within a 5 foot proximity. One pair won't get it done.

A second pair of the same will give you enough radiating surface area to make a difference. And at that point you will likely need a power upgrade. With both upgrades you should certainly hear sound at wake range but not with a great deal of intelligibility. For surfing doubling up on your existing speakers with a power upgrade should be more than enough.

If the goal is truly sound at wake range with a bit of authority then you really need to go with an HLCD (horn loaded compression driver) and more powerful amplification. An HLCD design is borrowed from pro sound where a few speakers have to fill a large auditorium similar to the open field and long distance behind the boat.

To get the most with the fewest speakers and the most for your budget, I would recommend passing over the 8-inch HLCDs like the Exile XM9 and Wetsounds Rev8 and going with a single pair of Wetsounds Rev10s driven by an honest 400 watts to each speaker.

In reality a pair of HLCD's such as Exile XM9's and or Rev 10's would be a huge upgrade to what you currently have, Powered with a sufficient amp you would definitely hear it back to the rider, XM9's are a little less expensive, Both are a great choice, I have heard a single pair of both on a few buddy's boats and they sounded similar, and had a great clear sound even 80 feet back, I dont think you could go wrong either way, If you have the budget go WS if you want to save some cash do Exile,

Edited by Wakesetter67

Levi,

Yes, Wetsounds does have a 6X9" HLCD available that will retrofit into an Alpha II pod. It's certainly a good option for some. But here is the concern. If the objective is to get articulate sound at wake range you would likely need two pair of 6X9s. And a smallish HLCD will be dominated by the treble. Not to mention a significant upgrade in amplifier power is also needed. A big investment in any case.

After the cost of two pair of raw 6X9" HLCD drivers plus another pair of Alpha II pods, you could be into a pair of Wetsounds Rev10s. A 6X9 has more surface area than a 6.5" but less than an 8". One pair of 10-inch Wetsounds Rev10s has more surface area than two pair of 6X9s, and 45% more surface area than the next leading competitor. There is just no replacement for surface area. Plus, the Rev10 has far more pod displacement which to a great degree governs the depth of the midbass reach. I just see more value in one pair of the largest, with the deepest response, and the warmest tonal balance.

Of course, let us not forget the Exile XM9's will also produce comparable sound to a Rev 10 when properly powered. Both of these speakers are at the high end of the market. We know David is WS advocate, which is fine, but give the OP some other comparable choices.. Which btw, are much more reasonably priced compared to a Rev 10. You won't pay extra for swivel clamps, speaker covers and have a superior mounting system to easily remove and adjust the speaker. They even throw in a couple Exile fender balls!

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2

Of course, let us not forget the Exile XM9's will also produce comparable sound to a Rev 10 when properly powered. Both of these speakers are at the high end of the market. We know David is WS advocate, which is fine, but give the OP some other comparable choices.. Which btw, are much more reasonably priced compared to a Rev 10. You won't pay extra for swivel clamps, speaker covers and have a superior mounting system to easily remove and adjust the speaker. They even throw in a couple Exile fender balls!

Ok, then lets talk about the Rev-8, which is the same size as the XM-9 but with a larger voice coil compression driver last i heard. And no, an 8" will not produce comparable sound as a 10", regardless of power. This holds true for subs, traditional coaxials and HLCDs. This is not about who sounds better, blah blah blah, but simple physics. Larger speaker is more efficient, has more more output and deeper mid-bass extension. Where is the comparable sound?

Sorry to the mods, I know this will likely open up the usual can o worms, but facts a re facts and relevant info is relevant info.

Dont take this as a direct recommendation, but here is another 8" HLCD to toss in with the 8" rev-8 and 8" xm-9. Skylon vector 8. Bazooka also makes an 8" HLCD. Cant leave out the Rosswell Neptune 8. Im pretty sure if one was to lay a ruler across all of these, there would be some variance among all of these 8" speakers.

Edited by MLA

I am not going to get into a debate on what speaker is better, which is where you are taking this. One speaker is 10" wide, the other is 10 5/8". The OP just needs to be aware there are other comparable sound options available to him that will be far superior to what he currently has in his boat and one will cost significantly less money. Running these speakers side by side tuned properly could the average Joe notice a difference? I dunno, I had WS Pro 80's in my first boat, then went with REV 10's in my '13 and honestly this "mid bass" upgrade everyone raves about I really could not say it was crazy different. Both of these speakers were powered by the same amps, maybe my 43 year old ears are worn out... WS imo nickel and dimes you with everything, $125 speaker covers, $300 for swivel clamps, etc... it just adds up. Throw two pair on the tower now your talking $600 for swivel clamps and $250 in covers alone.

I am running two pair of XM9's with my VLX on order, I am really looking forward to seeing how they perform in comparison to my one pair of REV 10s I ran last year. I need a full season to make a fair comparison. Talking with people who run Exile, have yet to run into anyone who regrets there purchase or is complaining about lack of sound and build quality. I can say this, just looking at the Exile speakers, quick mounts, etc... they appear to be a high end speaker, even down to being able to rotate the grilles on the speaker.

Just my .02....

I am not going to get into a debate on what speaker is better, which is where you are taking this.

How am i taking it there? You asked for more options for the OP and ive listed some that would be comparable in size. Change a few words, and your statement above could easily read that a 5.7L has just as much HP as a 6.2L.

Running these speakers side by side tuned properly could the average Joe notice a difference? I dunno

Yes. There is a distinct difference between an 8 and 10 driver. Same as between a 6.5" and 8". Has nothing to do with brand. If there wasnt a difference, than why did exile drop the 6.5" in favor of an 8"? Why did Rockford start offering an 8" in-boat? Size matters.

even down to being able to rotate the grilles on the speaker

Wet Sounds grills are easy to index, even with the optional LED ring.

Here are a few reasons why I personally recommend the Wetsounds Rev10....

The only dimension that matters relating to radiating surface area is the diameter from the peak of the outer surround center to the peak of the opposite surround center. Enclosures, frames, baskets, rims, etc. do not mean anything. Converted to surface area the Rev10 has 45% more surface area over the largest 8" or 9" tower speaker. That's good for 1.5 dB more output, or the equivalent to more than a 50% increase in amplifier output. Or, you could look at it differently. The speaker does not need to travel as far to produce the same output.

The Rev10 uses an epoxy fiberglass composite midbass cone. This cone is radically more rigid than any speaker I have inspected other than the HollowPoint. When driven harder to longer excursions this cone has significantly less break-up than a standard poly cone. I have seen and heard this difference in action.

The Rev10 has a larger midbass voice coil which directly equates to more power handling and more thermal dissipation.

The Rev10 has a reinforcement ring around the pod interior perimeter which structurally strengthens the pod. This is especially important when side-mounted to a vertical tower surface. It also aids the pod rigidity which is important to the midbass production.

The Rev10 has a fully developed tweeter horn with the proper flare. The horn is independent of the grill, doesn't use the grill to finish the flare, and the horn flare is one piece versus having an interruption half way down the horn.

The Rev10 pod displacement is twice the volume of any 8" or 9" tower speaker. It is a wider and much deeper (front to rear). The Rev10 has deeper midbass reach. Not a midbass spike, but more midbass depth.

The Rev10 swivel collars use connectors that uniquely make 360 degree contact. Yet, they still allow quick disconnect and the swivel ability.

Yes, with Wetsounds you do pay a little more and you pay extra for accessories. But the quality and performance of the base product is such that I believe the value is there.

I consider the above attributes to be objective and measurable. The subjective side is that I personally prefer the sound quality of the Wetsounds Rev10, particularly when listening near field.

Are there other products that bring value to the table at a lower cost? Absolutely! I just have my reasons for liking the Wetsounds.

Oh boy... To the OP just make sure and explore ALL your options :-)

Well Fman out of any who post about this subject, You have the most credibility, You have had them both and can honestly make a fair and unbiased opinion, I have heard a few WS Rev 10's and they sound really good, But I have never had a pair installed on my boat, I agree with you there is not as much of a sound difference as some want to portray, You will never change there mind they have their own opinion and that's fine, If I would not have heard about Exile's stuff I would have really looked into WS I still feel the 2 best options out there, Unfortunately we are all guilty of Fan boy opinions and when I see a wrong and people I care about unfairly treated I will speak, Or Type, So to the OP you cant go wrong either way, But if you want to save some cash and still want some awesome speakers try the Exile!

Maybe I've missed it but do Exile do a HLDC that will retro fit a Titan Alpha II ? Sorta keen to find the middle ground upgrade ....

Not that i've seen, but Wet Sounds does offer a 6 x 9 HLCD that will fit the Titan II pod.

I think the best advice for anyone is to listen to all of your options (preferably blind, for reasons that should be obvious from this thread) and let your ears decide.

Many speakers are loud enough to get sound to the end of the wakeboard rope. Few are tolerable in the boat and fewer actually still sound good in the boat at that volume.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2

Im in the same boat..LOL

Sell my titans and do a full WS upgrade as I have done on my previous boats ( all 3 having WS) ( 3some, Double up and quad REV10's) with the REV 10's sounding the best overall and by far the loudest out of the 3 WS systems I have had, or keep my titans and do the 6x9 WS upgrade and then upgrade the amp, the last being the most cost effective but will I always be left to wonder? or will the WS 6X9's be enough for quality surfing?

All we do now is Surf, I agree with the OP.. I can hardly hear the stock stuff. does anyone have real life exp with the WS 6X9's and a bigger amp?

On a rating of 1 to 10 I would rate my rev 10's a 10 the double up a 8 and the 3some a 5 as it was just to high, like a loud speaker.. again all we do is surf..... The stock stuff I would a rate it a 3 out of the box, almost useless and even retuned as I have done, maybe only a 4 overall. But, I do love the factory look.

If anyone is considering selling a set of the factory Titan 6x9's, I'd be interested in a set if the price was right (cheap). I am far from an audiofile and don't really care to hear while riding behind the boat but I would like to be able to hear some music while swimming when anchored in cove somewhere. Plus I think they look good and will help a little with resale value. Hopefully the waterfall will flow this way.

I am interested in selling the 6x9 hlcd alpha II from my 24 MXZ. If the price is right, not willing to give them away. What do y'all think a fair price would be. Absolutely perfect condition, i kept speaker sox on them even at the lake most trips.

I will say the factory gain settings are terrible, take an hour or so and adjust them, makes a HUGE difference! Yes you void your warranty, but its worth it. The malibu settings has the gains around 25~30% turn them up to 60~70 and start ballancing it and it is night and day different.

Still not the same as a full wet sounds our exile system. But significantly better.

Edited by DarkSide

Im in the same boat..LOL

Sell my titans and do a full WS upgrade as I have done on my previous boats ( all 3 having WS) ( 3some, Double up and quad REV10's) with the REV 10's sounding the best overall and by far the loudest out of the 3 WS systems I have had, or keep my titans and do the 6x9 WS upgrade and then upgrade the amp, the last being the most cost effective but will I always be left to wonder? or will the WS 6X9's be enough for quality surfing?

All we do now is Surf, I agree with the OP.. I can hardly hear the stock stuff. does anyone have real life exp with the WS 6X9's and a bigger amp?

On a rating of 1 to 10 I would rate my rev 10's a 10 the double up a 8 and the 3some a 5 as it was just to high, like a loud speaker.. again all we do is surf..... The stock stuff I would a rate it a 3 out of the box, almost useless and even retuned as I have done, maybe only a 4 overall. But, I do love the factory look.

Save 1/2 your money and do FAE, if all you do is surf.
  • Like 1