Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GMC Arcadia

WeekdayBoater

I know there has been a number of discussions about tow vehicles, but I need one more. Does anyone have any experience towing a Response with an Arcadia with a tow package ?

Thanks

John

ahopkins22LSV

I can't directly answer your question but we tow our TXi with a 2010 grand Cherokee with the v6. It does quite well and have gone to northern mi a few times with it. It probably wouldn't do well in mountains but the hills of northern mi it does just fine. The Acadia is bigger and has more towing capacity than our jeep so I would think it will do just fine. I have thought about looking at them for myself actually. It's a very nice suv too.

We have a 2012 Acadia. We used to tow our 2003 Sunscape 23 with it before I got my truck about 2 years ago. The boat with trailer weighed about 5200. The Acadia did fine. It won't kill it in the hills. It's a V6. The temp gauge would move a little with high heat and hills. It should do fine with a response.

Was just discussing an Acadia Denali with my wife yesterday. 5200 capacity should be no problem. Boat and trailer dry is ~3650 in my case, which should be very close to yours. Just verify the package on the actual one you are looking at, some are only rated for 2000 lbs.

Our next car is likely going to be a Traverse, wife drove and loved it as a loaner. Is there any real difference between the Acadia and the Traverse other than cosmetic?

We have a 07 outlook which is identical to the Acadia. We only tow a around town because our ramp is so close, but in that limited experience it does fine. We have a 01 vlx. The outlook has been a pretty good vehicle for us. It was the first year of the model so we had some recalls to deal with but no major issues out of warranty. It's still my wife's daily driver.

If you think you will be short on power take a look at the Explorer with the Eco 6 . Its slightly detuned from the f-150 but not much. I also pull my LXI with an Explorer but not the Eco and it does just fine but I also do not pull through hills and long distance. My Explorer is AWD. I have also pulled a 23' enclosed snowmobile trailer for two hour runs. I was shocked at how well it did. With smaller vehicles you do want good trailer brakes and my not want to be passing everyone on the express way.

The thing I was amazed about with the snowmobile trailer is we had a very heavy cross wind and it was a very stable, no whit knuckle. I will also say I usually pull the sleds with an Expedition as I like a large vehicle for snow and ice on roads.

I know there has been a number of discussions about tow vehicles, but I need one more. Does anyone have any experience towing a Response with an Arcadia with a tow package ?

Thanks

John

Have you driven one? I am a sales manager at a Chevy Buick GMC dealer. If you need any help or have any questions feel free to give me a shout.

My good friend just bought the Buick version. Very nice car, but the 3.6 seems to like to rev a bunch for power.

Exact reason I asked if he had driven one. I personally, could never drive one simply for that reason.

My Wife has a 2010, she likes it, it seems to be a pretty nice car. No serious issues yet. They do have a weird tire size so you are limited on tires you can get. They are pretty pricey. We do not use it for towing, so I can't say how that performs. But for the price of these now I think there are much nicer options in the same price category.

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

Father in-law tows his 04 Response LXI behind a GMC Envoy, which is the predecessor to the Acadia. With the trailer empty it can really bounce the truck around but towing with the boat on seems to work just fine, and he typically has 1000lb worth of junk in the boat when we are heading out for the big family week at the lake.

Edited by oldjeep

My Wife has a 2010, she likes it, it seems to be a pretty nice car. No serious issues yet. They do have a weird tire size so you are limited on tires you can get. They are pretty pricey. We do not use it for towing, so I can't say how that performs. But for the price of these now I think there are much nicer options in the same price category.

Have you noticed the lack of power at low RPM? Having to get into the gas and get some engine speed up if it's full of people or gear?

The other option for us is a Flex, likely an EB, which I know will get the power down. But pricey...and less tow capacity at 4500, which is right on our loaded weight I would estimate.

Have you noticed the lack of power at low RPM? Having to get into the gas and get some engine speed up if it's full of people or gear?

The other option for us is a Flex, likely an EB, which I know will get the power down. But pricey...and less tow capacity at 4500, which is right on our loaded weight I would estimate.

Another one to look at would be a Kia Sorento AWD V6. 5000lb towing and a nicer vehicle for the money than anything else in its class.

I have used my Dad's to tow my 11' VTX in the NY Fingerlakes area (very hilly). Not a ton of power compared to a full size pickup but it is possible.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have not driven one yet, but like the looks and size. Guess I'll be taking a test drive of the Arcadia, Traverse and the Durango 6 to get a real good comparison. Can't get myself to think seriously about a KIA.

Thanks again

A friend of mine works at the Chevrolet dealer had me talk to their lead mechanic about the Traverse and Acadia. The mechanic told me to stay clear of the Traverse and Acadia due to timing chain issues and the front wheel drive system wasn't that stout. I would hope by now GM fixed the timing chain issues?? I personally would never pull with a front wheel drive vehicle, especially at higher elevations where I live. Even the AWD systems are still very front wheel biased. Just my thoughts.

Weekday, as referenced in an earlier post about the trannys getting hot while towing... Be advised that GM sets their thermostats to run at 210. PV= nRT. So that 15deg T higher temp gives GM a 3-5% hp/tq over other like brands, however allows them to run hotter faster all things being equal. If you are running mid summer up hill at elevation, you will be at a disadvantage. Know that. Short tows a few times a summer you'd be fine. Just understand what you are getting into. Not the most stout tow vehicle.

The Eco Explorer would be my next best vote.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have not driven one yet, but like the looks and size. Guess I'll be taking a test drive of the Arcadia, Traverse and the Durango 6 to get a real good comparison. Can't get myself to think seriously about a KIA.

Thanks again

But you would look at a Chevy ;) The Durango would be a great choice, but is a whole other size class than you have been looking at.

But you would look at a Chevy ;) The Durango would be a great choice, but is a whole other size class than you have been looking at.

Acadia, explorer, durango, as far as I can tell are all three row, similar interior size, competitors. Throw the highlander in there as well. Explorer and Durango have more powerful engine options tho.

I don't follow that. PV=nRT is for gases. How does that relate to transmissions?

GM engines and trannys operate at 210 vs 190s in others. so the ambient temps in both the engine and tranny are higher as a result. Higher T gives you more P in the cylinder, which gives a little more P for hp/tq, slightly better fuel economy all things being equal vs a 190deg engine. bottom line is they run a hotter tune and they are more prone to overheat as a result of it.

I owned a GM Trailblazer, it ran at 210 and it liked to overheat. Take it to a dealership and they'd say its operating within spec.

Just do a quick Google search " GMC Acadia overheat" or on any of the GM SUVs. Its not till you get into larger GM trucks or larger SUVs, they spec larger radiators and tranny coolers from tow packages that they get past this and its not an issue. moreso affects midsize GM SUVs. I am sure now 25 guys will come on here butthurt how greats theirs tow that I said this, OP should go Google and research for himself. Good perhaps for a coupe short tows, robust towing, even in the 4-5klb range, no IMO.

My opinion, its a GM SUV related problem thats not seen like with Fords, Jeep and Toyota midsize SUVs. Ford 3.5L Eco Explorer, Jeep GC 5.7L, or others would trump IMO.

Acadia, explorer, durango, as far as I can tell are all three row, similar interior size, competitors. Throw the highlander in there as well. Explorer and Durango have more powerful engine options tho.

Durango is built more like a truck, as is evidenced by the Hemi that you can get in it and the 7400lb towing capacity.