Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow and Commuter

braindamage

:blush: I guess I'm the odd man out for using a Suburban with 185k as both my tow vehicle and DD? That's towing at least once a week from April to October. Of course, you did say "Durango".... :lol:

That was me too. An 03 Suburban with 178k and drove it daily. Put it for sale on Facebook and sold it the next day. Now I'm loving my 13 Platinum.

My all time favorite for both is a Tahoe. I've put 250,000 miles on ours and it still runs great. Mileage is as good as most cross overs and it tows like any well built 1/2 ton. Gonna upgrade to a newer one soon, but Im telling you those 5.3 vortecs are GMs very best.

So I've been reading the feedback on used fun commuters and tow rigs...but I kinda want both.

I drive 40miles each way on my daily commute so comfort, fun, reliability, and gas mileage matter to me. I also trailer my Lxi to my cottage 1/yr which is 400+ miles each way Right now we use the beat-up hemi Durango with 130k+ miles for that tow but it's age and mileage has me concerned that I'll be left on the side of the road.

My budget is mid-$20k but could go up to $30k for the right vehicle. I've been researching and the Jeep Grand Cherokee with Hemi or 5.7L seems like a good combination but it only gets 18-22mpg.

Any input from the 'crew on a good combo commuter-tow vehicle?

I once bought a '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L thinking it would be the perfect dual purpose rig (daily driver + tow vehicle). What I learned is that it's not great at either.

Daily Driver: just cuz it has a v8 doesn't mean its fun to drive. It was like driving a sewing machine... Soooo quiet, so boring. Not what I'd put in the fun category. On the plus side the interior and technology were great... In many ways better than the Ford and Chevy I have now. But you can forget about getting 18-22 with that rig. You won't sniff that. Pure highway driving got me 18ish if I babied it and didn't exceed 60 (stay in the slow lane with the beaters and the geriatrics). Any sort of mixes driving dropped it down to 15ish. And if you go read the forums, the 6cyl. is not much better.

Tow Rig: Decent tow rig, but I would only use it around town. Even then, I could really feel the boat moving the Jeep around. Its just not as heavy nor does it have the wheelbase of a 1/2 ton truck or SUV. Again, it can get the job done, but not ideal in my book. But I was towing a VLX which is a bit heavier than a ski boat obviously.

I sold the Jeep after 1 year and replaced it for a real fun commuter car...

EDECAC87-B481-4716-820B-28DF444871F9-546

7066786403_1cd248f7e4_zps74eb7464.jpg

Edited by IXFE

Thanks for the info as the Grand Cherokee as a solution was my plan A prior to the input from the 'crew. I am abandoning that plan and will be looking for a DD.

What did you end up buying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an 04 Tahoe that towed like a champ. Not the worst mileage and comfortable, reliable. And you can pick one up for a song. If I didn't need a truck bed I'd be driving it still.

The new 8 speed that they put in the Grand Cherokee makes it a different beast. I agree that you still won't get 22 with the V8, but the MPG is improved. I rented the V6 with the 8 speed in California recently. Drove from LA to Santa Barbara and back, and it got 24 MPG hand calculated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had an 04 Tahoe that towed like a champ. Not the worst mileage and comfortable, reliable. And you can pick one up for a song. If I didn't need a truck bed I'd be driving it still.

This. You can grab a Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon all day around here for 5k in great condition and use it as your tow rig. Then spend the real # on your DD car.

This. You can grab a Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon all day around here for 5k in great condition and use it as your tow rig. Then spend the real # on your DD car.

Yea but then he has spent 5k plus insurance, registration, maintenance, etc on a vehicle that will be used once or twice a year. Makes way more financial sense to borrow, rent, steal a tow vehicle for the two trips a year.

Yea but then he has spent 5k plus insurance, registration, maintenance, etc on a vehicle that will be used once or twice a year. Makes way more financial sense to borrow, rent, steal a tow vehicle for the two trips a year.

I have teenagers so an extra vehicle is good. I also subscribe to the theory of "inertia wins" when in an accident so I don't mind my kid's vehicle being my tow vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk