Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow and Commuter

braindamage

So I've been reading the feedback on used fun commuters and tow rigs...but I kinda want both.

I drive 40miles each way on my daily commute so comfort, fun, reliability, and gas mileage matter to me. I also trailer my Lxi to my cottage 1/yr which is 400+ miles each way Right now we use the beat-up hemi Durango with 130k+ miles for that tow but it's age and mileage has me concerned that I'll be left on the side of the road.

My budget is mid-$20k but could go up to $30k for the right vehicle. I've been researching and the Jeep Grand Cherokee with Hemi or 5.7L seems like a good combination but it only gets 18-22mpg.

Any input from the 'crew on a good combo commuter-tow vehicle?

Not many vehicles that'll pull your boat will get more than 22mpg when commuting.

My Tahoe gets 21mpg after a serious suspension drop (18mpg before). Infiniti QX4 V6 gets around the same…and it's really small inside.

My Dad absolutely loves his new '14 Grand Cherokee BTW. My Mom, my son, and I all find the controls to be pretty touchy, but manageable once gotten used to.

Oh, and in before diesel.

Edited by jk13

I had an 05 Hemi Grand Cherokee. It did a very good job of towing my 5000 pound sterndrive - well enough that my wife pulled the boat a couple times through the mountains.

That said, I don't EVER remember seeing 22 MPG. Highways (75+MPH) were more like 17 MPG.

The new Grand Cherokee's are VERY nice, and the V6 would be more than adequate to pull the boat once per year. You could probably get one that is a few years old for less than $30k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right now we use the beat-up hemi Durango with 130k+ miles for that tow but it's age and mileage has me concerned that I'll be left on the side of the road.

:blush: I guess I'm the odd man out for using a Suburban with 185k as both my tow vehicle and DD? That's towing at least once a week from April to October. Of course, you did say "Durango".... :lol:

• Like 2

Why compromise for towing once a year? Get whatever you want for a daily driver and borrow or rent something for the one time a year you need to tow.

This,

There are a lot of fun cars that can be had for 20-30K on the used market. If you only tow once a year rent, beg,borrow or steal for the week. You can always keep the Durango and have a mechanic go over it before the trip to make sure it is ready. Most major breakdowns can be prevented with maintenance. Just be ready and willing to do without some of the electrical gadgets.

Why compromise for towing once a year? Get whatever you want for a daily driver and borrow or rent something for the one time a year you need to tow.

This is what I do and it saves a bunch in gas over the year. I tow twice per year. Once to put the boat in the water in the spring and once to pull it in the fall. Distance from ramp to the lake house is about 1 mile so owning a big tow vehicle for that is a waste. If you go the rental route, you should know that most rental companies don't rent trucks with hitches. However, Toyota has a rental program at many of their dealerships where you can rent a Tundra and they don't care if you tow with it. I can rent it for a day (24 hrs) for less than $70.

This is what I do and it saves a bunch in gas over the year. I tow twice per year. Once to put the boat in the water in the spring and once to pull it in the fall. Distance from ramp to the lake house is about 1 mile so owning a big tow vehicle for that is a waste. If you go the rental route, you should know that most rental companies don't rent trucks with hitches. However, Toyota has a rental program at many of their dealerships where you can rent a Tundra and they don't care if you tow with it. I can rent it for a day (24 hrs) for less than $70.

Wow! I wish Toyota Canada had rentals, that's a sweet deal I'd get rid of my Tacoma right now if that was available up here.

So I've been reading the feedback on used fun commuters and tow rigs...but I kinda want both.

I drive 40miles each way on my daily commute so comfort, fun, reliability, and gas mileage matter to me. I also trailer my Lxi to my cottage 1/yr which is 400+ miles each way Right now we use the beat-up hemi Durango with 130k+ miles for that tow but it's age and mileage has me concerned that I'll be left on the side of the road.

My budget is mid-$20k but could go up to $30k for the right vehicle. I've been researching and the Jeep Grand Cherokee with Hemi or 5.7L seems like a good combination but it only gets 18-22mpg.

Any input from the 'crew on a good combo commuter-tow vehicle?

there is really some good choices for you if you look well... I have a Sunsetter LX and pull it with my Jeep Liberty Diesel... The longest haul I take is 250 miles through the hill country of Texas. Commuting I average ~ 28 mpg. Pulling on trips I average ~ 20mpg. In town pulling (mostly what I do, 2 mile trip) I average ~ 16 mpg. Jeep also produced the Cherokee diesel in 2005 - 2007 (thank California for the short production on these vehicles). Also look at the Toureg, BMW, & Mercedes SUV diesels. They will all outperform your expectations.

BTW, my jeep has 140,000 miles on it now and it is still going strong.

I just bought a 2011 F150 Ecoboost, paid 25 for it. Rides and drives much better than my dad's 2012 ram 2500, of course. Have not towed with it yet though. I will be using it for a daily.

A used Ford Explorer (the latest generation, so 2011ish I think) may tick some of the boxes. My neighbor tows a Supra 20SSV behind his. Go with a 4x4 or AWD version though. It will break 20 MPG with minimal highway driving.

My 2012 Ford Exploder gets 22mpg average and tows my VLX just fine. It is front wheel drive, so it can slip a bit pulling out of the ramp, but I launched the boat 30+ times this summer and used it for every launch just fine!

My 2012 Ford Exploder gets 22mpg average and tows my VLX just fine. It is front wheel drive, so it can slip a bit pulling out of the ramp, but I launched the boat 30+ times this summer and used it for every launch just fine!

What engine? The standard 6? My wife is interested in one of these and always good to get an owners perspectives. Of course we want the sport with the EGO boost, but the almighty dollar is getting in the way.

Toyota highlander here. Wife commutes with it and I tow with it. Does great towing at about 13-16 mpg highway depending on wind (Low end was 30 mph head wind) driving 70 mph. Gets 24 mpg commuting. I have towed a few times 350+ miles. Planning on upgrading to electric brakes on trailer and adding brake controller to vehicle.

What engine? The standard 6? My wife is interested in one of these and always good to get an owners perspectives. Of course we want the sport with the EGO boost, but the almighty dollar is getting in the way.

The standard 6. When I tow, its closer to 14mpg though. The engine has more than enough power... just the FWD slipping when pulling out of the ramp. Keep in mind that if you only had FWD or Back wheel drive, it would probably slip the same. The boat trailer only puts like 500lbs or less on the tongue weight as far as I know.

National rents Suburbans and Tahoes - almost all of which have hitches. I have not read the fine print, so I can't say what it says regarding towing, but I have used the receiver for those cargo carriers to put a cooler in on a long trip.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you go for the current gen explorer get AWD or the "4x4" option. The neighbor I mentioned launches on a gravel ramp and FWD only would not cut it. He also has to shut off all the traction control features to allow a little more wheel slip, when everything was active the traction control system would reduce engine torque to control wheel slip and it wouldn't pull his boat out. With traction control of, it did as good as the F250 (2002 model with the 5.4L) he had before.