Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nissan Titan Diesel - perfect boat owner truck?

ibelonginprison

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/12/2016-nissan-titan-xd-detroit-official/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2016-nissan-titan-xd-official-pictures-and-specs/

2016 Nissan Titan. 5.0L Cummins, sequential twin turbos (a small one for low end power with less lag, and a larger one for more power up top)

310hp, 550 tq. 12K towing capacity, without being a 3/4 ton truck. Still in the "full size" arena.

So it's smaller than a 3/4 or a 1 ton truck, which makes driving it every day a much better option, but with the capabilities of towing pretty much anything that the normal guy has laying around.

Think of it like a Chevy Silverado with a smaller duramax, or an F150 with a V8 eco-boost. More gonads without the extra drama of owning a heavier duty truck. That's perfect for my needs. And since it's a Cummins, hopefully it will be bulletproof.

You think it's a good move? Think the automotive market will support it, and it will steal enough consumers from the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton camps? I mean, would any of you trade in your F150 on it? lol

Will be interesting to see how they price it, Nissan has a good opportunity to take a bite out of the full size truck market. It is on my list. They put a good Aisin transmission and optional electric locker behind it.

I would stay away from the Titan for at least 2 years after Gen II is released next year. From the introduction of the Titan in Nov. 2003 till the 2008 MY, the Titan was a plethora of problems. Luckily my 04 had good luck. The problems ranged from undersized brakes, mushy brake pedal, rear axle failures, A/C problems, $cracking exhaust manifolds$, rusting and leaking tailpipe melting wires, leaking axle, front diff, and rear diff seals, water leaks into cab, unfused trailer lighting circuits burning out computers, leaky tranny cooling lines, non working emergency brake, and radiators that crack at 5 years or 60000 miles, whichever comes first. By about 2010 they remedied most of these problems.

Oh, did I say I love the way my Titan rides.

I would stay away from the Titan for at least 2 years after Gen II is released next year. From the introduction of the Titan in Nov. 2003 till the 2008 MY, the Titan was a plethora of problems. Luckily my 04 had good luck. The problems ranged from undersized brakes, mushy brake pedal, rear axle failures, A/C problems, $cracking exhaust manifolds$, rusting and leaking tailpipe melting wires, leaking axle, front diff, and rear diff seals, water leaks into cab, unfused trailer lighting circuits burning out computers, leaky tranny cooling lines, non working emergency brake, and radiators that crack at 5 years or 60000 miles, whichever comes first. By about 2010 they remedied most of these problems.

Oh, did I say I love the way my Titan rides.

Read into it what you will but if you cruise the F150 or silverado or ram forums you'll see the same types of issues. Its a classic example of person that is experiencing the problem is also the one that yells the loudest.

That doesn't mean I would rush right out and buy the first one off the production line though :lol:

I do a lot of work for a lot of people and I still see the so called "most reliable" vehicles in for various reasons.

Some Saudi prince billionaire said that the days of $100 per barrel of oil are over thanks to "Drill Baby Drill" and flat global growth. Hopefully Ford will launch the 6.2 V8 ecoboost soon so I can have some fun and start another Ford thread...........

I wouldn't trade in my truck for it. The main reason being is you don't gain enough in cargo carrying capacity. It says over 2000 pounds but by the time you add people and camping gear and add up the tongue weight you'll be pushing it.

Plus the cost of the motor upgrade and the 80 cents more for diesel I'm not sure why you would buy one.

I wouldn't trade in my truck for it. The main reason being is you don't gain enough in cargo carrying capacity. It says over 2000 pounds but by the time you add people and camping gear and add up the tongue weight you'll be pushing it.

Plus the cost of the motor upgrade and the 80 cents more for diesel I'm not sure why you would buy one.

4 people, lots of gear and the boat and not really close to capacity on my current Titan. 2000 would be a slight improvement in my case. Even the times I have hauled lots of tools, pier pads, lumber and the boat to the lake it hasn't been that big of a deal.

But everyone has different needs right?

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Some Saudi prince billionaire said that the days of $100 per barrel of oil are over thanks to "Drill Baby Drill" and flat global growth. Hopefully Ford will launch the 6.2 V8 ecoboost soon so I can have some fun and start another Ford thread...........

Thats what they should have put in the Raptor eh?

4 people, lots of gear and the boat and not really close to capacity on my current Titan. 2000 would be a slight improvement in my case. Even the times I have hauled lots of tools, pier pads, lumber and the boat to the lake it hasn't been that big of a deal.

But everyone has different needs right?

What kind of truck do you have and what kind of boat?

A LSV is going to be very different than a Response.

Any your right my point was it's still a half ton.

My truck says it can pull 9800 pounds but my cargo weight is only 1400 pounds or so. Minus people, running boards, tools you carry to help your Ford friends that 1400 pounds goes down pretty quick.

What kind of truck do you have and what kind of boat?

A LSV is going to be very different than a Response.

Any your right my point was it's still a half ton.

My truck says it can pull 9800 pounds but my cargo weight is only 1400 pounds or so. Minus people, running boards, tools you carry to help your Ford friends that 1400 pounds goes down pretty quick.

2010 Titan. Like I say, I load that guy up and don't give a second thought. Whole family goes to the cabin for 2 week stints and I take tools lumber etc. Truck sags a little but not so much that it even concerns me for a second. Of course coolers/ boards etc go in the boat just because there isn't enough room. I will say, it is a fairly easy tow just gotta go over the coast range.

This was with a 21 vride. Not a heavy boat but not a response either.

But its like I say, everyones needs are different. If you need more then get a 3/4 ton. If everyone needed a 3/4 ton then half tons then they wouldn't bother making .

2010 Titan. Like I say, I load that guy up and don't give a second thought. Whole family goes to the cabin for 2 week stints and I take tools lumber etc. Truck sags a little but not so much that it even concerns me for a second. Of course coolers/ boards etc go in the boat just because there isn't enough room. I will say, it is a fairly easy tow just gotta go over the coast range.

But its like I say, everyones needs are different. If you need more then get a 3/4 ton. If everyone needed a 3/4 ton then half tons then they wouldn't bother making .

I agree with you 100% on everyone has different needs. Stop at a scale some day and see how much it weighs when your going camping. I bet you'll be surprised on the weight.

I've had a couple 1 tons and decided to change and go with a 1/2 Tundra.

And its like I say, its an easy tow. I do this maybe once a year. The other trips aren't usually loaded with lumber. And I anxiously await the day when the cabin repairs are done and I can just relax on the dock!

I am sure I am close or right at the payload limit even though there is a lot room left before I am on the bump stops. But the truck meets my needs and the new one would be an upgrade for sure.

In my neck of the woods my 1/2 ton does more work than most peoples 1 ton diesels. Most 1 ton diesels around here are used for going to soccer practice :lol:

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Towing with the Titan's cousin (QX56) my experience was exactly the same as yours.... with the vride. Once we were loaded heavy in the truck with the MB, limits were reached / exceeded. Our typical tow is very demanding though, with a climb from 1900' to over 7000' in 100* weather. No doubt if we were flat/low landers we'd still be driving the QX.

In my case we moved to the excursion, but I'd bet an ecoboost would've handled the increased load just fine too. We needed an SUV tho, which narrowed the selection to essentially two vehicles -- ex and 8.1 burb/yukon (denali/escalade with 6.2 were beyond the budget).