Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Yet another F150 thread.....

saidainc

How many people have F150s  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What vehicle do you tow with?

• Ford 150 (or plan to)
    • Another better choice

Thats the one I want....you do understand I am married....and my wife is full of rage....everything is a process for me

I do know this. And by the way, all women that I know are full of rage. No chance that your Yota is going to handle towing your new G21 so man up!

Your daughter is in the middle rear seat I suppose. Bottom line is we need a tow vehicle. The Tahoe's with the different tranny is hard to come by. The Suburban is too big, IMO. F150 or Tahoe ...is where I'm at right now.

Nope, she is behind the driver seat. We use the latch system with her car seats. I have the ram 2500 crew cab which has plenty of room to have my seat where I want it with a car seat behind me. If I was going to own a gas truck, it would be a tundra crew max.

Afun, get the 150. I went Tahoe, also to appease the wife and regret it. It's OK (2012, Z71, loaded) but Ford has its quality and class way more in order than GM (which may not still be true after the 2015 update).

I have the standard engine (5.3?) With the tow package tranny and it still doesn't pull all that well. You can see 70 but it takes a LONG time to get there. I also need to install a tranny cooler, the factory one can't handle the 100+ days out here in the desert.

I paid that SOB off too fast though. I'm stuck with it till the boat payments are gone I think. But every time I see a new 150 running around I get p'd off. Don't make the same mistake!

Afun, get the 150. I went Tahoe, also to appease the wife and regret it. It's OK (2012, Z71, loaded) but Ford has its quality and class way more in order than GM (which may not still be true after the 2015 update).

I have the standard engine (5.3?) With the tow package tranny and it still doesn't pull all that well. You can see 70 but it takes a LONG time to get there. I also need to install a tranny cooler, the factory one can't handle the 100+ days out here in the desert.

I paid that SOB off too fast though. I'm stuck with it till the boat payments are gone I think. But every time I see a new 150 running around I get p'd off. Don't make the same mistake!

^^^^ I agree 100% with everything. Like I said before, its a process that has turned into a battle which will hopefully yield good results.

I played the tahoe search game for years, trying to find one with the right tranny. The Yukon denali has the right tranny and a 6.2L. Same room as the tahoe. Love that decision. Couldn't be happier with mine.

Love the way the F150 eco pulls, thats the greatest part of it, a gasser that pulls like a diesel. The turbos allow it to have the torque at lower rpms, so much nicer than a normally aspirated gasser when towing. Pull is constant no up shift down shift up shift and definiely no high revving needed. Thats the same towing a 23' boat and a a 28' sled trailer with 4 sleds.

Those have grown on me a lot after the facelift, but like the Titan, they don't come close to the fuel economy of the domestics. That's the biggest thing Nissan and Toyota need to work on moving forward IMO.

Towing my 6Klb boat to Norris and back I get 11mpg with all of the hills, on flat land I get around 12mpg, and I don't drive nearly as slow as I should. That's pretty much the same as every other gasser that tows decently.

With 381 HP and 401 FT-LB of torque naturally aspirated, I’m not expecting Prius-like MPG out of the Tundra 5.7L (rated at 13/17 in the Crewmax).

I’m not surprised that the Ford 5.0L at 360HP and 380 FT-LB of torque is rated at 1-2 MPG better city/highway (14/19 in the F150 Supercrew).

So when comparing V8 options the Tundra does burn a couple more mpg while not towing, but the difference is so minor that I'd rather have the Toyota quality and reliability vs a few more mpg. Not sold on the Ecoboost yet with the issues they have had but at least Ford is trying something new. We should have a Cummins diesel Tundra in a couple years which will be an interesting option!

Edited by Brett B

I love toyota! I just think the Tundra lacks a bit of styling and the interior is a bit dated. I'm sure its a great truck. I guess its just a matter of preference. I'm having a hard time getting rid of my FJ

Have you checked out the '14? While it's not as nice as a Lexus I don't think it's dated at all for a truck. I liked it better than the '14 F150 interior, but like you said it's a matter of preference.

2014-toyota-tundra-dash.jpg

Edited by Brett B

Have you checked out the '14? While it's not as nice as a Lexus I don't think it's dated at all. I liked it better than the '14 F150 interior, but like you said it's a matter of preference.

2014-toyota-tundra-dash.jpg

My brother had a 2012, and the leather just didn't feel very soft. Felt more like a vinyl school bus seat. To each their own though.

And this reliability thing.......Where is the data that shows a Tundra is any more reliable than a similarly equipped domestic? Just because is says Toyota does not mean the quality is better. Ever since they moved manufacturing from Japan to the US, I would bet that the (Defective Parts Per Million) metric has gone the wrong way. Everyone has a buddy who had a bad experience with brand X and everyone knows someone who swears by brand Y like there is no competition. There are plenty of people that have put one million miles on a Ford or Chevy with basic service so the service/reliability potential is there for any brand. The reason you hear more stories about a domestic brand having problems is because they sell so many more units than Toyota. Total sales for Tundra in 2014 are what, 100,000 units? Where as the combined domestic number is over 1,100,000 units, with the F150 claiming 450,000 of that number.

Toyota is a great brand and they did exactly what they set out to do 50 years ago. Be the biggest auto producer in the world and set price. And that's my problem with the Tundra; they cost on average around 10K more (after rebates / haggling) to purchase (in these parts) over a domestic model which no doubt offer many more options and features over the Toyota.

• Like 2

Doesn't look that similar to me. (2015 F150)

2015-ford-f-150-cockpit.jpg

Still like the new Dodge the best - nicer than my 09. Especially like the guages

2015-ram-1500-laramie-longhorn-crew-cab-

Was referring to 2014 model. Like the Dodge interior except for that stupid goat stamped all over.

And this reliability thing.......Where is the data that shows a Tundra is any more reliable than a similarly equipped domestic? Just because is says Toyota does not mean the quality is better. Ever since they moved manufacturing from Japan to the US, I would bet that the (Defective Parts Per Million) metric has gone the wrong way. Everyone has a buddy who had a bad experience with brand X and everyone knows someone who swears by brand Y like there is no competition. There are plenty of people that have put one million miles on a Ford or Chevy with basic service so the service/reliability potential is there for any brand. The reason you hear more stories about a domestic brand having problems is because they sell so many more units than Toyota. Total sales for Tundra in 2014 are what, 100,000 units? Where as the combined domestic number is over 1,100,000 units, with the F150 claiming 450,000 of that number.

Toyota is a great brand and they did exactly what they set out to do 50 years ago. Be the biggest auto producer in the world and set price. And that's my problem with the Tundra; they cost on average around 10K more (after rebates / haggling) to purchase (in these parts) over a domestic model which no doubt offer many more options and features over the Toyota.

But hey - at least they beat out Nissan in some of the latest rankings ;)

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Full-Size-Pickup-Trucks/

And 100K was pretty close for the Toyota, but the F150 is closer to 680K for 2014

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/12/best-selling-pickup-trucks-november-2014.html

Edited by oldjeep

Doesn't look that similar to me. (2015 F150)

Maybe you should try actually comparing the same model years? I clearly stated that I was comparing the 2014 models, and last time I checked the 2015 interior didn't exactly exist in 2014 when I made my comparisons and purchase decision. Of course a newly redesigned 2015 interior is going to look different than one that did not just get a refresh.

Here is the 2014 Ford F150:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-a6P9W8Ufi2Q/URPYcQuVUxI/AAAAAAALlbs/O_5UGeR5gwE/s1600-h/Ford-F-150-Interior%25255B3%25255D.jpg

I think Ford makes a great truck, it was my number 2 choice and I am sure I would have been very happy with it as well. I can see now that I have kicked the domestic truck hornets nest simply by sharing another positive Tundra experience. ;)

Edited by Brett B

Maybe you should try actually comparing the same model years? I clearly stated that I was comparing the 2014 models, and last time I checked the 2015 interior didn't exactly exist in 2014 when I made my comparisons and purchase decision. Of course a newly redesigned 2015 interior is going to look different than one that did not just get a refresh.

Ah, hard to keep track in a thread this long. Yup 2014 F150 just as ugly as the 2014 Tundra - maybe uglier if you got the wood grain dash.

Some folks seem to like the Tundras and definitely pay a lot for them. Haven't ever really seen a comparison where they were ranked very high among their less expensive and more common competition, but at least they are #1 among the 2 import brands ;)

2014 Ram 3500 longbed dually CTD, Aisin tranny. WAY OVERKILL for a 'BU, even my 24 MXZ disappears behind it. However the boss wants a 5th wheel. (To make long trips to the lake). If/when i acquire said 5th wheel, the 3500 is the right truck for that job. Hopefully can pick one up later this spring.

My wife is actually contemplating getting a truck to pull the boat while i pull said 5th wheel. I am actually trying to keep her in her Jeep. (Grand Cherokee diesel) It pulls the boat o.k., not great but gets it done. I think she would hate a truck as a daily driver. She refuses to drive mine, but mine is a BEAST, and a B!TCH to park. Although she did like my '12 1500.

Edited by DarkSide

But hey - at least they beat out Nissan in some of the latest rankings ;)

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Full-Size-Pickup-Trucks/

And 100K was pretty close for the Toyota, but the F150 is closer to 680K for 2014

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/12/best-selling-pickup-trucks-november-2014.html

F150 sales are not 680K. I believe that your number includes Superduty as well.

Here is the 2014 Ford F150:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-a6P9W8Ufi2Q/URPYcQuVUxI/AAAAAAALlbs/O_5UGeR5gwE/s1600-h/Ford-F-150-Interior%25255B3%25255D.jpg

I think Ford makes a great truck, it was my number 2 choice and I am sure I would have been very happy with it as well. I can see now that I have kicked the domestic truck hornets nest simply by sharing another positive Tundra experience. ;)

Nah, no hate here. I am a fan of the Tundra and in my opinion it is basically a domestic brand at this point. Designed, engineered and built in the US.. I am just not a fan of the price or dealer experience.