Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Wheel Change

jshaff

I would love an Isotta Zulag, but i am not really looking to spend >$200 on a wheel. Has anyone ever heard of or have any opinions of Grant? They have a good looking wheel for a reasonable price.

I believe below wheel will fit in replacement of the stock Malibu one but i just wanted to check.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Grant/470/457-1/10002/-1

post-23500-0-29127000-1421089235_thumb.j

Any feedback would be great!

Yup, the above one is actually the Marine Version the of the 457. I have not ever replaced a wheel before and I want to get the opinion of someone who might understand the measurements a bit better as to whether or not this would be a straight swap for the stock one.

Which steering wheel do you currently have.

Does it use a 6 bolt hub adapter to the keyed steering helm?

If it uses a 6 bolt adapter then it will work. Earlier wheels used a nardini 6 bolt pattern, but yours should have the more common one that grant/issotta use

Which steering wheel do you currently have.

Does it use a 6 bolt hub adapter to the keyed steering helm?

If it uses a 6 bolt adapter then it will work. Earlier wheels used a nardini 6 bolt pattern, but yours should have the more common one that grant/issotta use

The boats a 2006 I believe its the 6 bolt adapter but ill toss a picture in and hopefully someone can confirm.

post-23500-0-71933600-1421091259_thumb.j

The boats a 2006 I believe its the 6 bolt adapter but ill toss a picture in and hopefully someone can confirm.

attachicon.gifwheel.jpg

If that is your steering wheel - it might not be the right adapter, looks like a Nardini wheel to me. Measure center to center on 2 bolts that are straight across from each other.

2.75" = Almost everyone

2.875 = Nardi

Edited by oldjeep

Ok, my boat is stored elsewhere right now what are the dimensions of a standard 6 bolt vs a nardini. If it is the nardini what are my options for getting a more standard adapter on there?

Ok, my boat is stored elsewhere right now what are the dimensions of a standard 6 bolt vs a nardini. If it is the nardini what are my options for getting a more standard adapter on there?

2.75 - almost everyone

2.875 - Nardi

You can buy thin pattern adapters on ebay for $20, or just replace the whole adapter hub.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/StreetRays-Originals-Steering-Wheel-Hub-Adapter-Spacer-1-2-inch-BLACK-/400789158197?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d50e53935&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Boat-Steering-Wheel-Hub-Adapter-Keyed-for-MOMO-NARDI-NRG-SPARCO-OMP-/121107607130?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item1c32936e5a&vxp=mtr

Skier...Sure. they use a taper and woodruff key to hold the wheel on. Pop the cover off, undo the nut, give it a good hard tug and shake and she should pop right off. If she's stubborn might need to use a puller.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI the Isotta wheels on Livorski are $611.00 plus shipping. YIKES!

If you buy the Livorsi stuff from one of their distributors it is cheaper

The Gussi's are a much better deal.

$258 for the current Malibu wheel.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-16808-13-12-predator-steering-wheel.aspx

You can also get some of the Issotas for around $380

http://www.cpperformance.com/c-791-steering-wheels.aspx

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I am currently tackling the same project. I currently have a dino wheel on my euro f3 that is a 2.875 bolt pattern. I am installing an isotta wheel with a 2.750 pattern but am finding it hard to find a thin 6 bolt adapter. I checked out the one on ebay that oldjeep supplied a link for but I believe that one adapts from 2.750 to a 2.875 pattern. Ive tried to contact the ebay seller multiple times and no response. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I am currently tackling the same project. I currently have a dino wheel on my euro f3 that is a 2.875 bolt pattern. I am installing an isotta wheel with a 2.750 pattern but am finding it hard to find a thin 6 bolt adapter. I checked out the one on ebay that oldjeep supplied a link for but I believe that one adapts from 2.750 to a 2.875 pattern. Ive tried to contact the ebay seller multiple times and no response. Anyone have any other suggestions?

The adapter I posted adapts either way - pay attention to the picture where you see countersunk holes in both diameter patterns

http://www.ebay.com/itm/StreetRays-Originals-Steering-Wheel-Hub-Adapter-Spacer-1-2-inch-BLACK-/400789158197?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d50e53935&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

So i finally got around to attempting to swap the wheels, i decided to go with the adapter that oldjeep recommended. Only problem i ran into is the screws had corroded i managed to get 5 of the six out. However i stripped the 6th one pretty badly and was unable to remove it with an easy out. Does anyone have a recommendation for removing this stripped screw?

So its the allen head that is stripped?

PB Blaster will help break up the corrosion. Just be sure to keep it off the carpet & vinyl.

And slot the screw head with a disc cutter on a Dremel tool. Then use a slotted screwdriver.