Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect wakeboat tow rig might be the 2016 Titan XD

UWSkier

The overall ratings didn't do up much, but that doesn't mean the individual components aren't better.

There is a reason this truck is 1000lbs heavier than the others.  Heavier frame, suspension, brakes and others.

Heavier is not better.  As @shawndoggy said, they are also using older technology which weighs more.  The truck has less power, less MPG, less gears in the transmission, lower axle weight ratings than then competition.  I haven't dug in to see what the difference in brake size is vs the competition, but I have yet to read a review where they show it as "best in class" in anything.

I'm not saying it isn't a good truck.  It might be.  But my opinion is when you are the newest to the market, and when you have been clearly lagging in that market, you need to make a big statement, come in with innovation, and have many features the competition doesn't, if you want to try to change and be competitive in the market.  They didn't do it.

My personal opinion, supported by the reviews I have read, say this is still the 4th best choice in the 1500 market.

I would agree it's ranked about there.

If it had better hp/tq numbers as I've been saying.... to compete with or beat the 3.5 Eco and 6.2L in heavy 8k+ towing... it'd be at the top for me.  It came in weak on power.

22 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

Not the case.

the Titan XD is no where the same truck... much heavier frame, suspension, brakes and steering. It's by far the sturdiest 1/2ton out there by a mile.

the issue they are having us folks wanted to see a bit more power out of the gas.... and a lot more power out of the diesel versions.

I was not talking about the XD in my post other than it's not selling. I edited my post a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2016 at 0:51 PM, shawndoggy said:

seems like steel body panels could be a big part of it?  Fords dropped up to 700lbs just switching to alu.  that doesn't necessarily translate to "heavy duty" does it?

Not sure if you're just being argumentative.

Titan has a much heavier frame, 1-ton rear end and 1-ton tranny.  Those absolutely help make it HD. It's almost 2,000lbs heavier over the other 1/2 tons.

9 minutes ago, nyryan2001 said:

Not sure if you're just being argumentative.

Titan has a much heavier frame, 1-ton rear end and 1-ton tranny.  Those absolutely help make it HD. It's almost 2,000lbs heavier over the other 1/2 tons.

I mean yeah, you can say that, but at 7100 lbs for a crew cab diesel titan, it weighs 350 lbs MORE than an F350 with 6.7.  I'm not sure I'm buying that more weight necessarily is an indication of towing capacity, because by that measure the XD would be a sturdier rig than an F350, which I don't think anyone would argue.

11 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

because by that measure the XD would be a sturdier rig than an F350, which I don't think anyone would argue.

Don't forget where you are posting now!!!!!!

• Like 3
On 1/1/2017 at 11:13 PM, shawndoggy said:

I mean yeah, you can say that, but at 7100 lbs for a crew cab diesel titan, it weighs 350 lbs MORE than an F350 with 6.7.  I'm not sure I'm buying that more weight necessarily is an indication of towing capacity, because by that measure the XD would be a sturdier rig than an F350, which I don't think anyone would argue.

It appears you are having a hard time with this and are arguing against something no one here is taking about.

no one says XD is more HD than a F350.

What the heavier components suggest... is that it's more capable than the other 1/2tons. 1/2tons Shawn, not 1 tons.  

Not to be an a$$ but this truck, after looking at the specs, looks like a big boat anchor. Unless it will run 200k miles without putting a penny in to it, why bother.

I think the "heavy duty" aspect is more marketing than anything else.  I've said it before and will say it again.  The axle ratings are lower than competitive 150/1500 trucks.  I am not sure what there is, other than the possibility of the Cummins engine, that is heavier duty than any other light duty truck.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

It appears you are having a hard time with this and are arguing against something no one here is taking about.

no one says XD is more HD than a F350.

What the heavier components suggest... is that it's more capable than the other 1/2tons. 1/2tons Shawn, not 1 tons.  

I think all Shawn is pointing out is that weight, in and of itself, is not a direct reflection of its capability.

33 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I think all Shawn is pointing out is that weight, in and of itself, is not a direct reflection of its capability.

Especially considering that it weighs *more* than a comparable F350!  How can ford do the "heavy duty" without as much "heavy"?

Consider whether its fuel economy (a chief complaint) might be better if it weighed half a ton less?

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 0:55 PM, RyanB said:

My personal opinion, supported by the reviews I have read, say this is still the 4th best choice in the 1500 market.

Out of curiosity then who do you put 5th out of Ram, Chev/GMC, Ford, Toyota, Nissan ?

Just now, oldjeep said:

Out of curiosity then who do you put 5th out of Ram, Chev/GMC, Ford, Toyota, Nissan ?

I would put RAM #1.

Ford is close behind.

GM is #3.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the above 3.

Big drop off from the traditional "Big 3" to the two Japanese trucks.

25 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

19 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I would put RAM #1.

Ford is close behind.

GM is #3.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the above 3.

Big drop off from the traditional "Big 3" to the two Japanese trucks.

so............... Toyota #5

17 minutes ago, Stevo said:

so............... Toyota #5

On 12/17/2016 at 11:55 AM, RyanB said:

That would leave Toyota as #5.  But I think it is interchangeable between Nissan and Toyota.

9 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Especially considering that it weighs *more* than a comparable F350!  How can ford do the "heavy duty" without as much "heavy"?

Consider whether its fuel economy (a chief complaint) might be better if it weighed half a ton less?

I know stupid right?

It might be California.

Their GCVW for a regular driver's liscense is lower than anywhere else.  The XD + its max tow/load capacity is right up against the legal California regular liscense limit.

a truck with the same hp/tq as a 1 ton truck ~9yrs ago.... 1 ton tranny.....1 ton rear end..... withhin a few GCVW lbs of requiring a CDL in Cali... "suggests" Nissan kept it under for its less than 3/4ton and 1ton classification for whatever reason.

and yes... it still appear underpowered.

50 minutes ago, nyryan2001 said:

I know stupid right?

It might be California.

Their GCVW for a regular driver's liscense is lower than anywhere else.  The XD + its max tow/load capacity is right up against the legal California regular liscense limit.

a truck with the same hp/tq as a 1 ton truck ~9yrs ago.... 1 ton tranny.....1 ton rear end..... withhin a few GCVW lbs of requiring a CDL in Cali... "suggests" Nissan kept it under for its less than 3/4ton and 1ton classification for whatever reason.

What are you using as your info source for "1 ton tranny, 1 ton rear end"?

The tranny is not the same Aisin that goes into the RAM.  And the rear axle has a lighter weight capacity than many 150/1500.  It does not come anywhere near a 250/2500 rating.

58 minutes ago, nyryan2001 said:

I know stupid right?

It might be California.

What are you using as your info source for "1 ton tranny, 1 ton rear end"?

The tranny is not the same Aisin that goes into the RAM.  And the rear axle has a lighter weight capacity than many 150/1500.  It does not come anywhere near a 250/2500 rating.

And here are the  rules for California.  It has the same 26,001 GVWR that I think every state has.  The the Nissan isn't anywhere close to that.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/42c566ef-31ac-4df2-a8ed-480619084886/comlhdbk.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Honest question.  Am I missing something?