Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect wakeboat tow rig might be the 2016 Titan XD

UWSkier

So, strangely enough, Nissan is targeting a 'tweener' market between the half and 3/4 ton pickup segments with this new Titan model. Supposedly there's a true half tonner coming later this year, but this is the 5.0 Cummins Titan XD. Seems like the perfect rig to tow a big heavy wakeboat with a bit more confidence than you get from a half ton, but without needing to ride around in an overbuilt, rough-riding 3/4 ton all the time.

Not sure about this 'tweener' strategy, but Dodge did sell a TON of Dakotas...

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2016-nissan-titan-xd/#image-1

I like it except for the front. That mug is ugly...

As long as you and everyone you know is a midget then those mini crewcabs are fine. For our family we couldn't even get away with a Dodge quad cab (4 door with the smaller back seat). Honestly 1/2 tons are so heavy now that I feel confident towing anything with them. I've had 1 tons that weighs less than my current 1/2 ton pickup.

So, strangely enough, Nissan is targeting a 'tweener' market between the half and 3/4 ton pickup segments with this new Titan model. Supposedly there's a true half tonner coming later this year, but this is the 5.0 Cummins Titan XD. Seems like the perfect rig to tow a big heavy wakeboat with a bit more confidence than you get from a half ton, but without needing to ride around in an overbuilt, rough-riding 3/4 ton all the time.

Between that and the new 150 I really wish I was truck shopping this year. My current Titan only has 45K on it and it has been flawless. Went to the dealer once because the Nav quite working. It would be a huge waste of money for me to change trucks now.

I agree, my Titan has much more room then the Dodge quad, (why we didn't consider Dodge at the time). Not sure what the new one looks like.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Between that and the new 150 I really wish I was truck shopping this year. My current Titan only has 45K on it and it has been flawless. Went to the dealer once because the Nav quite working. It would be a huge waste of money for me to change trucks now.

I agree, my Titan has much more room then the Dodge quad, (why we didn't consider Dodge at the time). Not sure what the new one looks like.

That is why Dodge has a 1500 Crew - although it wouldn't have existed if you were shopping before 09. It'll be interesting to see the new trucks this year, haven't been to the auto show since 2009. Not in the market but someone bought my oldest son and I auto show tickets for an xmas gift exchange. Our vehicle test is that you have to be able to fit folks who are 6ft or taller in every seat. At 6ft 1 my 18 year old is one of the shorter guys in his group, even most of their girlfriends are 5ft 10 +

Edited by oldjeep

That is why Dodge has a 1500 Crew - although it wouldn't have existed if you were shopping before 09. It'll be interesting to see the new trucks this year, haven't been to the auto show since 2009. Not in the market but someone bought my oldest son and I auto show tickets for an xmas gift exchange. Our vehicle test is that you have to be able to fit folks who are 6ft or taller in every seat. At 6ft 1 my 18 year old is one of the shorter guys in his group, even most of their girlfriends are 5ft 10 +

:lol: That would be my test as well. All I remember is that when we were shopping the Dodge had the smallest back seating in the market. Pretty sure that was the crew cab. The Nissan and Chev were about the same and the Ford was the biggest. Thats just what I remember.

I was in the market in 2009 and came home with a 2010 Titan. Ford had released the 2009 f150 and with a brand new model they wanted a premium. That sent me back to the market and I came home with a Titan because I liked the engine/ transmission package better than what ford was offering at the time. The Titan was 6 years old and they were willing to deal.

Its paid for now and only has 45K.......I think I will be holding on to it for awhile.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

FYI, I've got a 2013 2500 HD Silverado. Its one of the smoothest-riding, silent trucks I've been in. The biggest ride-difference between it and my previous Tundra is that you can feel the weight a bit more and I think the turn radius was a little tighter on the Tundra. The 3/4 tons have come a long, long way in this department.

I like the looks of the XD linked above.

I would agree with the less harsh ride of the newer trucks. My parents had a '12 3500 GMC, crew cab, LB, and dually. I didn't think it rode that bad. Then again, it was a few minutes between when the front wheel would hit a hole and then the back.

I love diesels, and Cummins. That said, with fuel prices where they are, I really don't think a diesel makes sense. In my part of the country, diesel is $1.00 more per gallon than gas. So, even if you have 25% better fuel economy, it won't make up for the delta in the cost of fuel.

Who knows what fuel prices will look like in a few years, but if I were looking for a 1500 truck right now, I would go gasser.

Oh, and RAM changed to a true crew cab in 2009 for the 1500 and 2010 for the 2500/3500 trucks. Before that, you needed a mega cab to have a real full size cab - and that is way bigger than anything else available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I love diesels, and Cummins. That said, with fuel prices where they are, I really don't think a diesel makes sense. In my part of the country, diesel is $1.00 more per gallon than gas. So, even if you have 25% better fuel economy, it won't make up for the delta in the cost of fuel.

Who knows what fuel prices will look like in a few years, but if I were looking for a 1500 truck right now, I would go gasser.

Oh, and RAM changed to a true crew cab in 2009 for the 1500 and 2010 for the 2500/3500 trucks. Before that, you needed a mega cab to have a real full size cab - and that is way bigger than anything else available.

The primary reason to buy a diesel tow vehicle is when it is a better engine for the application. Like when you want a stock truck with 765 foot-pounds of torque and one that makes its HP early in the power band.

The primary reason to buy a diesel tow vehicle is when it is a better engine for the application. Like when you want a stock truck with 765 foot-pounds of torque and one that makes its HP early in the power band.

Agree in principal, but I don't think that happens much in practice. Purchases are as much emotional as logical.

And as far as towing, I"m not convinced that a 310/560 engine will be a better tow vehicle than any of the top engine/competing 1500's. That is 50 HP short of the all powerful EcoBoost, and around 100 HP short of a Hemi. And it certainly isn't better than the 2500's.

Agree in principal, but I don't think that happens much in practice. Purchases are as much emotional as logical.

And as far as towing, I"m not convinced that a 310/560 engine will be a better tow vehicle than any of the top engine/competing 1500's. That is 50 HP short of the all powerful EcoBoost, and around 100 HP short of a Hemi. And it certainly isn't better than the 2500's.

My basic point is diesel's aren't generally cheaper too own, at least as far as tow vehicles go. So only get one if it is better for your application. There's a big up-charge for the engine and, like you pointed out, the fuel is more expensive. And I'd agree I'd probably take a Tundra and its 400HP/400 foot pounds of torque over that smaller diesel. But I would not take a Tundra over my Duramax for towing my 10-11k pound travel trailer. Not a chance.

My basic point is diesel's aren't generally cheaper too own, at least as far as tow vehicles go. So only get one if it is better for your application. There's a big up-charge for the engine and, like you pointed out, the fuel is more expensive. And I'd agree I'd probably take a Tundra and its 400HP/400 foot pounds of torque over that smaller diesel. But I would not take a Tundra over my Duramax for towing my 10-11k pound travel trailer. Not a chance.

You might want to take a close look at the diesel Tundras coming out in 2016. Supposed to be very impressive performance and mileage wise....