Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 and Newer MB GL450 -Towing?

G-Mack

Going to test drive a 2015 GL450 tomorrow. Looking for some feedback on towing performance. We do tow in the mountains a couple of times a year.

Leaning towards the gas engine vs. diesel..... most of the use is city driving in the winter.... Also gas is $0.80/liter vs. $1.18 for winter diesel whii makes a big difference of approx. $200/month on our fuel bill.

Thanks in advance.

We are towing with an escalade now and the wheelbases are about the same. The extran wheelbase of a sub would be nice but the garage won't allow it.

Is it just not what they like or is it scary?

My wife does a good job towing with the escalde but I agree there is some some tail wagging the dog going on. We head over the rockies every year with me pulling a 41 ft fifth wheel with a dually and she is following with the boat. The dually with whole lot of pin weight is easier to drive than the escalade IMHO

winter cramps the plan..... want to order now ready for spring.... I can always make the deal contingent on a test drive at delivery.... They can't keep GLs on the lot here so not much risk for the dealer.

We are towing with an escalade now and the wheelbases are about the same. The extran wheelbase of a sub would be nice but the garage won't allow it.

Is it just not what they like or is it scary?

My wife does a good job towing with the escalde but I agree there is some some tail wagging the dog going on. We head over the rockies every year with me pulling a 41 ft fifth wheel with a dually and she is following with the boat. The dually with whole lot of pin weight is easier to drive than the escalade IMHO

Escalade is body-on-frame and solid rear axle. GL is unibody and multi-link rear setup. Different animals for towing.

Had a friend that towed a 23' I/O with an ML550. He loved it, said it did better than the Suburban that replaced it. I would think auto level would be a much needed accessory on a GL for towing.

I'm fairly confident the gx is sequoia-based.

Don't know about the newer ones, but the GX470 was based on the 4 runner platform

Lexus introduced their first true midsize SUV for 2003. It was based of the same platform as the Toyota 4Runner in the US and Toyota Prado 120 in the overseas market. The body styling of the GX and Prado are very similar in many aspects, with rear barn door and higher roof line. There are a number of differences like the front bumper, headlights, etc.

that went a little sideways today........ went and looked at a Q7 also and it is very nice... rated at 6600 lbs with the diesel... the gas motor is pretty weak but it is the last year of the current body style and there is a screaming deal on the 15s...MSRP for the Vorsprung edition is $ 65,000 same feature level as the MB and $25,000 less (minus the air suspension).

can buy alot of expensive winter diesel for that.

Anyone with experience towing with a Q7 TDI.

I am assuming you drove the TDI? Just asking because I looked at one about a month ago. I REALLY wanted to like it because of the MPG, but man the one I drove was a dog.

Have you looked at the Cayenne? Same platform as the Q7, higher towing capacity, and much more fun to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The TDI was a nice drive although on icy roads so no wringing it out.

I was motivated by price..... if i go to cayenne dollars... i'd probably jump back into the MB. Porsche a la carte pricing makes them pricey quickly. I admit i will do a bit more research on the cayenne.

My advice would be to make sure that you drive the TDI on regular roads before making a decision.

I am admittedly a car guy, and I had sold myself on the Q7 TDI based on cost (looking a few years old) features and MPG. It me, it just felt anemic. Honestly felt slower than my beater 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.0.

If you are willing to look used, you would have LOT of choices for a Cayenne at that $65k price point. And when I say used, I mean late model, low mileage, probably CPO. Maybe not a GTS, but certainly a S. At least that is what I have seen.

that went a little sideways today........ went and looked at a Q7 also and it is very nice... rated at 6600 lbs with the diesel... the gas motor is pretty weak but it is the last year of the current body style and there is a screaming deal on the 15s...MSRP for the Vorsprung edition is $ 65,000 same feature level as the MB and $25,000 less (minus the air suspension).

can buy alot of expensive winter diesel for that.

Anyone with experience towing with a Q7 TDI.

I am assuming you drove the TDI? Just asking because I looked at one about a month ago. I REALLY wanted to like it because of the MPG, but man the one I drove was a dog.

Have you looked at the Cayenne? Same platform as the Q7, higher towing capacity, and much more fun to drive.

I have a Touareg V8 gas, I'm really happy with it for towing and not towing. Its the VW Cayanne twin. I didn't have the extra for TDI, but if I did, I would have sprung for it when they offered the 5.0 diesel, but the gas motor has plenty of umph. It has a pretty short wheel base, but its a heavy vehicle, it doesn't wag as much as my Tahoe used to. It might be in my head, but the air ride really seems to help as well. My next move will probably be to a Q7 because I have been very happy with the Touareg, but would like a little more room and the 3rd row. The Quattro on the Q7 system seems to have a lower weight limit than the Cayanne/Touareg AWD system.

I have a Touareg V8 gas, I'm really happy with it for towing and not towing. Its the VW Cayanne twin. I didn't have the extra for TDI, but if I did, I would have sprung for it when they offered the 5.0 diesel, but the gas motor has plenty of umph. It has a pretty short wheel base, but its a heavy vehicle, it doesn't wag as much as my Tahoe used to. It might be in my head, but the air ride really seems to help as well. My next move will probably be to a Q7 because I have been very happy with the Touareg, but would like a little more room and the 3rd row. The Quattro on the Q7 system seems to have a lower weight limit than the Cayanne/Touareg AWD system.

They will be releasing the new Q7 very soon, which is built on a different platform. It's going to be less beefy and more car-like. Not sure what that will mean for the towing.