Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Choice Made: f150 it is, but.....

WakingMeHappy

Sounds like you're not dead set on that exact truck, so offer your price and walk away if they're not flexible. It's just business. Too many people blink first in negotiations and leave $1,000s on the table that way - make the same offer in a few weeks since it will still be there.

• Like 2

Are they available for a 2012 Platinum?

No. You will have to find some '13 and up style HID assemblies and some jumper harnesses to make them work, but they will bolt right in and function with the correct harnesses.

39k is high for a 45k mile rig. I sold my 2012 platinum , lifted, wheels , every option with 12k miles for 43k. That was in June I believe.

For 39k it makes sense it is still on the lot. What is the out the door price for a new one?

46K for a brand new 2014 F150 Platimum with the ecoboost before you even start negotiating. I'd think that 39K is a little high for a used 2012

http://www.metropolitanford.com/new/Ford/2014-Ford-F-150-b239f9530a0a00643fb65fd66f7105fa.htm

• Like 1

Around here in Texas, used trucks sell for ridiculous money. I bought my 2012 FX4 new for thousands less than a one year old similar used truck. The thing is that for $39k you should buy a new 2015 with 45k fewer miles for $47-48k. Even if you finance the extra money your better off with new tires, new brakes, new car smell and warranty. If it was a car, the used 2012 with 45k on the clock would be half price of new. That just doesn't hold true on trucks. It's crazy how used trucks hold value.

Edited by Bozboat

Around here in Texas, used trucks sell for ridiculous money. I bought my 2012 FX4 new for thousands less than a one year old similar used truck. The thing is that for $39k you should buy a new 2015 with 45k fewer miles for $47-48k. Even if you finance the extra money your better off with new tires, new brakes, new car smell and warranty. If it was a car, the used 2012 with 45k on the clock would be half price of new. That just doesn't hold true on trucks. It's crazy how used trucks hold value.

Same around here and I can never figure it out. I negotiated my new Ram down to 28K cash out the door in 09 and you couldn't buy a used one for that. Besides there are still a ton of new 2014's on the lots and the 2015s are coming in - dealers want to move the older models.

Edited by oldjeep

KBB is not the best barometer of pricing. They are typically high for our area. Craigslist listing prices and length of time the add has been up give a way more realistic view of actual market values.

One more thought, there are people that will line up to pay $39k for a 3 year old truck with 45k miles and finance it at 12 percent and roll in credit life and gap insurance. Your dealer may have someone like this in mind for the platinum and can't afford to sell you that used truck at your price.

I like to buy used but only if I get a used price. More than a few times "I have been told that I can get you a in a new one for less than we are going to sell the used one". It may be a function of low interest rates and factory incentives, but I will never understand why a two year old truck with 45k miles on it will go for anywhere close to the original sales price

(In 2012 the platinum should have sold for $42-45k with a sticker of $49k)

Edited by Bozboat

I like to buy used but only if I get a used price. More than a few times "I have been told that I can get you a in a new one for less than we are going to sell the used one". It may be a function of low interest rates and factory incentives, but I will never understand why a two year old truck with 45k miles on it will go for anywhere close to the original sales price

(In 2012 the platinum should have sold for $42-45k with a sticker of $49k)

The original window sticker was 52k. Couldn't tell you what the actual sale price was though.

Does it cost the dealer to certify the certified pre owned car or truck? Somewhere along the line I got the idea that the dealer has to pay Ford or whoever $1,500 or more to get the used truck certified?

I looked at a Escape almost a year ago for my son. Someone hit him in his older Escape more damage then the truck was worth. Anyway all the U.S reports on the vehicle ( Car facts ) showed clean. Checked the vehicle was also bought at auction. More digging it came from Canada and had an accident report in Canada with significant damage. Found him a mint Escape a little old lady had owned and garage kept low miles and grate price. :clap:

The original window sticker was 52k. Couldn't tell you what the actual sale price was though.

When I was shopping for a truck the Ford rebates typically knocked around 10k off msrp. That would put original sale price in the 42k range give or take a few thousand...

Does it cost the dealer to certify the certified pre owned car or truck? Somewhere along the line I got the idea that the dealer has to pay Ford or whoever $1,500 or more to get the used truck certified?

This truck is Ford Certified and it will cost me $500. To me it's worth the $500 for the warranty.

I looked at a Escape almost a year ago for my son. Someone hit him in his older Escape more damage then the truck was worth. Anyway all the U.S reports on the vehicle ( Car facts ) showed clean. Checked the vehicle was also bought at auction. More digging it came from Canada and had an accident report in Canada with significant damage. Found him a mint Escape a little old lady had owned and garage kept low miles and grate price. :clap:

Carfax shows the original purchase in Nov 2011 in Memphis. The dealer I'm talking to bought it at auction in Memphis. I'm assuming it's a local truck but I can't say for sure.

So these mirrors that may or may not fold; are they towing mirrors? I bought F250 mirrors for my F150 so I could tow a camper without needing the stupid mirror extensions. I had to move one wire in the connector so I could pick up use of the turn signals on the mirrors. My old ones didn't have them.

I'd take manual folding towing mirrors over automatic car mirrors any day.

So these mirrors that may or may not fold; are they towing mirrors? I bought F250 mirrors for my F150 so I could tow a camper without needing the stupid mirror extensions. I had to move one wire in the connector so I could pick up use of the turn signals on the mirrors. My old ones didn't have them.

Looks like you can retrofit them. $600+ per mirror, I thought the $300 2010 towing mirrors I put on my 09 Ram were expensive. I guess if you park in a garage it would be worth it, can't remember the last time I folded my passenger mirror in, only fold the drivers mirror in to get closer to the bank machine.

Edited by oldjeep

The extended towing mirrors are nice but if they don't fold at the push of a button I don't want them. I know I'm being picking but I just can't spend this much money only to look at it later and say, "I wish I didn't do that". I would much rather look at it in two years and say I wouldn't change a thing.

The extended towing mirrors are nice but if they don't fold at the push of a button I don't want them. I know I'm being picking but I just can't spend this much money only to look at it later and say, "I wish I didn't do that". I would much rather look at it in two years and say I wouldn't change a thing.

I'd just make sure you're not saying - jeeze these little mirrors don't work worth a crap when towing, but it sure is neat that they fold themselves in. Looks like you can have both options, but visibility while towing is important.

NEWS FLASH: My wife and I talked it over again. Her view is for me to buy whatever I want and thinks I should start looking at the 2014's. What a wife! It's another reason why we have lovingly been married for 34+ years.

Powerfold tow mirrors were not available until 2013 so you'll have to look for a 13 or newer if that's a feature that's important.

You can add them to a 12 if it had power fold regular mirrors, but a set of Powerfold, heated , signal, to mirrors are not cheap. About 800-900 bucks a piece at the dealer.

Powerfold tow mirrors were not available until 2013 so you'll have to look for a 13 or newer if that's a feature that's important.

You can add them to a 12 if it had power fold regular mirrors, but a set of Powerfold, heated , signal, to mirrors are not cheap. About 800-900 bucks a piece at the dealer.

I'm assuming that the $800-$900 each is kind of like the price tag on the Dodge mirrors - varies by about 50% depending on where you buy them from. Love my local dealer but I don't buy expensive Mopar parts from them because they charge list.