Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Choice Made: f150 it is, but.....

WakingMeHappy

I made up my mind to get a 2012 or 2013 f150 fully loaded with as many bells and whistles that I can get. But now a dilemma.

My plan was a Lariat but I also found a King Ranch and a Platinum. All 3 are 2012 at about the same price. Miles are: Lariat 31k, King Ranch 22k and the Platinum 45k. All 3 have the 6 cycle Eco boost.

I'm going to the dealer today to look at all 3 but this is going to be a tough choice. For you f150 owners, how do I choose?

Edited by WakingMeHappy

I am not a F150 owner but it I was selecting between 3, then the first thing I would look at would be rear end ratios. At minimum a 3.55 and I would prefer the 3.73. I saw a few when looking that had highway/gass saver gears (3.33? or something like that).

I have a Platinum. I like the power running boards. The other thing different on the Platinum is that it has the fold down arm rest for the back seat. Minor detail, but the FX4 we looked at didn't have that feature.

Platinum has better leather than the lariat, king ranch is well........ Ranchy. I have never been a fan of the KR trucks.

The leather looks bad after a few years...and that damn gold trim ! It screams grandpa's truck. Just need a JC Whitney catalog full of stick on junk to compete the look.

I like Lariat or Platinum in your case, but the prudent thing about the KR and lariat is they are still under base warranty and you can get any little nit picky issues covered under base warranty. The Platinum is just under power train warranty at 45k.

The comment about the gear ratio is valid. If any of them have the larger extendable tow mirrors, that's a good indicator that is has the max tow package and should have 3.73's.... But that depends on original wheel/tire package. Just like stated, you want 3:55 or greater, and actually the 3:55's equipped trucks are the quickest ones. Either one will tow well. One other thing to look for is tank size. You really want the 37 gallon tank.....or I would.

Edited by Bawshogg

Lol. I am one.

Lmao....that just hit home. ..lol

Like Bawshogg mentioned. You really do want the trailer towering package with the Platinum.

Towing the boat is seamless, don't even know she's there.

Edited by Dare2goBare

My buddy's 13 king ranch leather is peeling like a cheap leather jacket. My father-in law just got a 15 king ranch, we'll see how it holds up. I would get a platinum, they seem to be the better choice.

Edited by MLBurns

Ford has a factory extended warranty available thru 100k miles, if I was going to buy the platinum I would look into that, it could get pricey to have the ambient cup holder lighting worked on. As said above the power running boards are nice mainly because the extend lower and out further when deployed than the fix boards, making it easier to exit the truck. The warranty left on the king ranch would be hard to pass up. Cowboy Up!

I have the 3.73 rear end and would rather have the 3.55.

Edited by Bozboat

Of your 3 choices I prefer the King Ranch Trucks. Too many of the fords come with the gaudy space alien chrome package that makes them look like some 16 year old kid raided autozone.

Hahahaha. I know thats right!!! I had an 03 f350 king ranch. I loved it. The newer king ranch leather I believe should wear better than the older stuff.

King Ranch is out. Interior is real ruff for age and miles.

Platinum is in the running for sure. Nice truck and even with 45k miles they have it as a Ford Certified vehicle so it has a good warranty. (And the wife likes it).

I'll get to see the Lariat Monday evening.

• Like 2

I have a 2012 fx4. I would highly recommend going with the 2013 for the newer dash and projecter headlights. The sync in my 2012 is terrible. And I can barley see at night with the normal headlights. Just my 2 cents.

I have a 2012 fx4. I would highly recommend going with the 2013 for the newer dash and projecter headlights. The sync in my 2012 is terrible. And I can barley see at night with the normal headlights. Just my 2 cents.

Oh man.. wish I would have known that, I guess I can only barely see in my 2009 then.. and here I thought the lights were pretty great. Silly me.

But seriously, if lights are bad it does make a huge difference. My wife's 08 Mazda 3 overruns the lowbeams at 60mph.. pretty scetchy

Edited by ajeep4u

I've got a 13 platinum. It's been great. Look at prices from Wade ford near atlanta. Their trucks are very reasonably priced. I got mine from them in march of last year. I paid like 45k. It was the sales managers demo w 3k miles on it.

King Ranch is out. Interior is real ruff for age and miles.

Platinum is in the running for sure. Nice truck and even with 45k miles they have it as a Ford Certified vehicle so it has a good warranty. (And the wife likes it).

I'll get to see the Lariat Monday evening.

One other difference, the platinum has 2, 4A, 4H, 4L

My FX4 does not have the 4A, just the 4H

4A would be nice on pavement, like driving in rain on pavement.

• Like 2

^^ I do not know the strengths and failure rates of the various transfer cases Ford uses but I agree with the sentiment of Boz's statement. This time of year going from my subdivision's snowy streets to wet pavement to dry pavement every day to and from work I really wish I had 4A or even full time awd. Have 4A in my wife's Infiniti and it's nice not having to deal with choosing to shift it or the put up with the jerky tight turns in a dry parking lot.

Still might grab an awd case from a Denali to put in my 96 Tahoe even knowing the issues with them...

• Like 1

:plus1: If you are not using 4X4 for heavy duty work all wheel drive is the best for daily driving. Both of my daily drivers are AWD. Many years ago I had an experience got cut off and ended up sideways looking at a utility poll. Going over a curb I was able to mash the gas and get the front around and miss everything. Would never made it without the front wheels pulling.

AWD does cost about 1 mpg in fuel in most of todays smaller vehicles. Don't know how much in a truck.