Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Choice Made: f150 it is, but.....

WakingMeHappy

Good info on the AWD. The Platinum does have AWD. I'll know about the Lariat tomorrow evening. I ask the dealer to have the both trucks parked side-by-side so I can walk and compare.

FWIW, we have a 2013 Lariat. It's been great overall, including the Ecoboost (again, great for the grunt, but not the mileage). Leather is holding up very well, and we have kids climbing in every corner of it on a daily basis. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will serve you well. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the 3.55 vs. 3.73 rear end. We have the 3.55's and it tows our VLX easily. I've towed my buddy's 247 with it as well. A 3/4 ton frame would be nicer with that boat, but I never needed more power/rear end ratio than what my EB and 3.55's provided.

Honestly, you've received really good information so far. I would stick with the newer models, primarily due to the better head lamps. Otherwise you can't loose. For sure get the extended Ford warranty with the EB. The nominal cost implications are well worth it, IMO.

Honestly, you've received really good information so far. I would stick with the newer models, primarily due to the better head lamps. Otherwise you can't loose. For sure get the extended Ford warranty with the EB. The nominal cost implications are well worth it, IMO.

I agree. This is all very helpful. When you say newer models do you mean 13 or 14? I'm looking at a 12.

I agree. This is all very helpful. When you say newer models do you mean 13 or 14? I'm looking at a 12.

The 2012 will be awesome. It has the bigger gas tank over the 2011.

Re: the headlamps, they are dim. Not bad, just not as awesome as it should be.

I am working on a $65 hid upgrade that should make a world of difference. I will post up details when available, whether it works or whether it was too good to be true.

Edited by Bozboat

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

This is the ONLY correct way to do a HID upgrade.

Putting HID bulbs in a stock housing reflector made for a Halogen is a disaster. Light scatter and poor patterns, blinds all oncoming traffic and is illegal to boot in all 50 states.

If your gonna do a HID system make sure it's a projector retrofit . The cutoff line of a projector is there for a reason.

There is also a ton of 13' and up factory HID retro info on the web too. The assemblies bolt right in and just need a jumper harness for the headlight connectors. Spendy though and you can get better performance from the aftermarket retrofits. Look to spend about a grand for the factory lights/upgrade or 3-400 on a retro fit kit and a Saturday afternoon.

• Like 2

Putting HID bulbs in a stock housing reflector made for a Halogen is a disaster. Light scatter and poor patterns, blinds all oncoming traffic and is illegal to boot in all 50 states.

If your gonna do a HID system make sure it's a projector retrofit . The cutoff line of a projector is there for a reason.

There is also a ton of 13' and up factory HID retro info on the web too. The assemblies bolt right in and just need a jumper harness for the headlight connectors. Spendy though and you can get better performance from the aftermarket retrofits. Look to spend about a grand for the factory lights/upgrade or 3-400 on a retro fit kit and a Saturday afternoon.

Thank you, one of my pet peeves is people who install hids without correct projection lamps that throw light everywhere and wonder why people flash high beams at them...
  • Like 2

Thank you, one of my pet peeves is people who install hids without correct projection lamps that throw light everywhere and wonder why people flash high beams at them...

Same. So irritating.

I have a 2012 FX2 with the super highway gears of 3.15..... Towing my 2010 A22 it does well. I put it in D then bump down on the manual shift button and that locks out 6th gear. Then I put it in and out of tow/haul mode depending on the terrain.

The final drive ratio is nearly the same as a 3.73 truck in 6th gear. But while not towing, it gets better cruising and highway mpg. WIN-WIN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had no idea. There are no boundaries to the things one can learn here. I will look at doing this upgrade correctly. No short cuts around here.

I think the HID headlamps were available only in the higher trim levels in '12 IIRC. '13 they were available in higher trim levels and in '14 they were available on the XLT IIRC. Either way, it's a great rig.

'13 was the first year for the factory HID's. Only available on higher trim levels. Lariat, FX4, King Ranch, Raptor, Platinum and Limited.

Are they available for a 2012 Platinum?

We looked at the Lariat tonight and said no before we even drove it. It's a sweet truck for sure but the door mirrors are manual retract. If I'm going to spend this kind of I want to push a button a d watch my mirrors fold.

We looked at the Lariat tonight and said no before we even drove it. It's a sweet truck for sure but the door mirrors are manual retract. If I'm going to spend this kind of I want to push a button a d watch my mirrors fold.

. Weird, ours are power fold. I guess that wasn't standard on the Lariat. We use that feature a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So no on KR and no on Lariet, did you pull trigger on the platinum?

Wasn't aware that was an option on any pickup truck. Guess that is why some of them cost so much now.

I didn't make an offer on the Platinum......yet.

I learned the dealer bought this truck at auction and it's been on their lot for 8+ months. I'll assume it was a repo which would explain why something so nice would be at an auction. But why would it not have sold after all this time. Their sticker price is 39k which is in line with NADA and KBB. The condition is almost flawless. Carfax is clean, but I understand that's only as good as the reported data.

I just can't help but wonder why it has sat on their lot for so long. And how motivated this makes them to sell. They have only dropped the price by 1k. I guess it wouldn't hurt to come back with 34k. I know they will come back with something else but I can easily walk away and look elsewhere. While I really like this truck I know ultimately there are thousands more just like it and I'm willing to travel.