Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow vehicle

pknappe

As an automotive teacher it is within my job description to stay current on technology. Pretty sure I need to own one of these 2015s......don't think my wife will buy that line of reasoning though.

do you have a Exhaust brake? when cold, i enable the EB and it seems to warm up faster.

I do, never thought of that but will try! I thought about getting a block heater but plugging and unplugging sounds like too much work lol.

Thanks for the update, Ya story of my life , Buying something and then the next year all the new stuff comes out, At least on my 2015 VLX I got in at the right time!!

I also forgot to mention that in model year 2016 there will be an update to My Ford Touch, as I understand it. The goal with the update is to eliminate some of the quirkyness of the system and provide a more "smartphone-like" interface. Hopefully it's better than the current generation....that's not to say that it sucks, but it could be improved upon.

I drove an Eco 2.7 and a 3.5.

Quite possibly the most luxurious truck I had ever been in. Very impressed and overwhelmed a bit.

The 3.5 was about the same as what I was used to power wise, I was shocked by the 2.7! That thing is a might mouse man. Holy crap! Was all I was thinking.

There was so much going on in the higher end truck that I felt a bit out of place and didn't know what to do at first. It's a major departure from most things Ford.....and I have been with Ford for many years. From the 360 view camera , to the 3/4 glass roof. It's the real deal

The steering was super precise and very isolated from road input, not numb feeling, just way more precise . It really gave it a high end luxury car feel. That was the one thing that really struck me that this is a different sort of truck. Power tailgate and new built in step configuration is wayyyy cool. There is just so many little things that would take me hours to go through.

The one thing that has puzzled me since the drive.....somehow the have managed to make the V6 engines sound like a throaty V8......or more so than the previous version. I have heard rumors that they are using sound wave cancellation through the interior speakers on the higher models to cancel the unwanted pulsation a of the V6 and give it a meaty rumble under accel....and that's the only time you really notice it ....when you flog on it a bit.

I have inquired with several engineers about this and can't get a straight answer yet. They deny that they are using to audio system to duplicate a more throaty sound. Guess I'll have to find out myself .

Nice to hear. I actually grabbed a '14 due to some hesitation on the new '15. You're right about that 2.7! I've not driven one, but it looks good on paper. I'm happy to hear the driving experience is in line.

Relative to the bold italics above, while they may deny it, my understanding is true. I don't have first hand knowledge, but I have been told that this is the case.

It took me a long time to wrap my head around buying a V6 pickup with turbos, and a 3.5 liter at that. I am happy now moving from a Denali 6.2 to the ecoboost, but I don't know if I can be convinced to go smaller and smaller.

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 2

My tow rig and DD is a Ram 2500 Diesel. I borrowed my buddies EcoBoost for the weekend.

Back to back with my truck it had plenty of power and get up and go. The only time I missed my Ram 2500 is in the corners I could feel the boat a lot more and it made me more tentative. Might even be a good thing as I usually take corners at full speed with my truck. My boat had a ton of tongue weight at the time and that would have been a big factor.

Now that its winter I hate waiting for the truck to warm up so the darn heater will work. And its about as fuel efficient as a Kuwaiti oil fire. Its still a torque monster and a buzz to drive, especially towing.

EB is the right answer, but I still like my 3/4 ton. Those Denali 1500 6.2's are pretty sexy too.

What year is your Dodge?

I had my high idle enabled on my truck for free by the dealer back in 2007. My neighbor bought a 2007 and had the dealer activate his, so I did a little research and took my truck in, took them 5 minutes. Once started, I enable the "cruise control" and then press "set", the rpms go up to 1100, you can increase the rpm's up to about 1500 by hitting "increase". This works great to heat up my motor (which usually takes forever) when it is really cold out. Also in the hot summers, I run it at high idle while running the A/C to keep my truck cold for the kids.

Check to see if you have this already enabled, or if it is an option for you (might be free, but might be a few bucks to have it enabled)

• Like 2

It took me a long time to wrap my head around buying a V6 pickup with turbos, and a 3.5 liter at that. I am happy now moving from a Denali 6.2 to the ecoboost, but I don't know if I can be convinced to go smaller and smaller.

Was this the Ecotec3 6.2L in the Denali? 460 lb/ft. of torque is very intriguing (especially if it is mated to the 8L90 8 speed transmission and fuel economy can be improved from previous years)!

Also wondering if anyone has had a direct comparison between the 6.2L Ecotec3 vs. 3.5L EB. Sounds like EB owners absolutely love their trucks for towing, just not sure I can make the jump to Ford.

Was this the Ecotec3 6.2L in the Denali? 460 lb/ft. of torque is very intriguing (especially if it is mated to the 8L90 8 speed transmission and fuel economy can be improved from previous years)!

Also wondering if anyone has had a direct comparison between the 6.2L Ecotec3 vs. 3.5L EB. Sounds like EB owners absolutely love their trucks for towing, just not sure I can make the jump to Ford.

I had a 2007 Denali XL and a 2007 Sierra Denali crew cab, both had a 6.2 of some variation each with AWD. EB runs rings around them.

• Like 3

All tests show the 3.5 EB performs almost identical to the Ford and Chevy 6.2s... In both performance and with the same miserable low MPGs while towing. Might actually get slightly better In both with the EB given max TQ comes at lower RPMs than the 6.2s.

However, you get way better MPGs while not towing with the EB.

The 3.5 EB will spank every other V8 out there, 6.0s, 5.7s, 5.6, 5.3s, 5.0s etc.

All tests show the 3.5 EB performs almost identical to the Ford and Chevy 6.2s... In both performance and with the same miserable low MPGs while towing. Might actually get slightly better In both with the EB given max TQ comes at lower RPMs than the 6.2s.

However, you get way better MPGs while not towing with the EB.

The 3.5 EB will spank every other V8 out there, 6.0s, 5.7s, 5.6, 5.3s, 5.0s etc.

Spank every other V8 out there? That certainly isn't what I have read. When MotorTrend compared the EB vs Hemi with their last two long term testers, the trucks were very comparable in all ways - with the Hemi averaging about 1 MPG more over the year.

Not saying that the EB isn't a good engine, but it is NOT in a class by itself, rather equal to the Hemi and 6.2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do, never thought of that but will try! I thought about getting a block heater but plugging and unplugging sounds like too much work lol.

Yeah the cummins come with The heater. Once you get the cord you can route it some the outlet comes out near the bumper. Very easy to plug and unplug. Keeps your block at around 100 degrees.

I could be wrong, but I heard a quote "every time you start a diesel below 32 degrees, it's equal to 5k worth of wear in the engine."

No idea if that is true, maybe LBJ can chime in.

Um.....it's dang near half the size and two cylinder short. It kinda is its own beast at this point in the game, It's never good to say that my litte 6 cylinder keeps up with your big V8 .......is it now?

As previously stated , if you live in a hilly environment and frequently have to pull hills or need all out passing power when towing the EB takes the win. BOOST makes her shine at elevation and there's not a N/A V8 that can say that currently.

From a tow rig standpoint , the EB wins . Guess you'd just have to drive one to understand.

Well stated. Honestly, I don't need the EB where I am and with what little towing I do. But, I'd rather drive it than the 5.0 all day. It's much more fun, especially with the traction control disabled, and the only drawback I find is that it doesn't sound like a V8. Though it sounds different, the sound of twin turbos spooling up isn't all that bad.

Edited by inlandlaker

Um.....it's dang near half the size and two cylinder short. It kinda is its own beast at this point in the game, It's never good to say that my litte 6 cylinder keeps up with your big V8 .......is it now?

As previously stated , if you live in a hilly environment and frequently have to pull hills or need all out passing power when towing the EB takes the win. BOOST makes her shine at elevation and there's not a N/A V8 that can say that currently.

From a tow rig standpoint , the EB wins . Guess you'd just have to drive one to understand.

It isn't about cylinders, it is about engine output. If it was about cylinders, wouldn't that make the 6 cylinder Cummins a far superior engine to the Duramax and PS just based on that fact? (It's not)

And I have driven one, and while it is a very good engine, as I stated, it is NOT far and away better than the other options out there. Ford came up with a very good engine, something that tows well and does not require the revs of a NA V8. If that is what is important to you, buy it.

The big problem I have with the EB is that despite Ford's claims, it is not a step forward in regard to MPG.

Again, not saying it isn't a good engine, but it runs and tows the same (speed, MPG, etc) as the competitive engines from Ford & RAM.

Short story. It tows better than a N/A V8, especially in the hills....where you need it most.

Just ask anyone who has had both......or read the thread.

Plenty of love besides what I'm saying.

You can "read" lots of things now days, sometimes practical experience trumps what you read....in this case especially.

Cummins...6.7l.......PSD.....6.7l...... DMAX....6.6l. Wierd.

Edited by Bawshogg
  • Like 1

Shorter story. All tests show it is basically equal to a NA V8 - even in the hills.

Call me crazy, but I will go with empirical evidence over anecdotal stories. Not hating, just calling it like it is - which is not revolutionary.