Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow vehicle

pknappe

So looking for a new tow vehicle to tow my VLX. Really leaning towards a Ford F-150 Crew cab with the Ecoboost engine. Anyone have any experience towing with this rig?

You won't be disappointed with an F150 Ecoboost. While a diesel may be the gold standard, the ecoboost has the low end torque not available in any other gasser. Don't buy the ecoboost for gas mileage which is okay, buy it because it will tow effortlessly and quietly.

i have towed with a buddies, it definitely doesn't tow like my cummins, but it is a very capable tow rig for a vlx. i wouldn't tow much more with it, but it won't have a problem towing that size of a boat. Nice trucks

Love my 13' FX4 F150 with Ecoboost. I came from a 2006 F250 Diesel and do not regret the decision for a second. I have 35" tires and average 16mpg with combo of city/highway. I get around 11 towing w/ 3.73 gears. My brother has same truck without lift and gets around 18 city/highway.

I agree with what others have said about the F150 ecoboost. The only thing I'll add is that if you're going to get one for towing that boat that you get one equipped with the Max Tow Package. This is an added benefit to the F150 ecoboost. My '14 does have a tow package, but not the Max Tow Package. My '11 had the Max Tow Package and there was a notable difference in pulling power. As Boz said, don't buy it for the MPG as it is a bit of a myth. I will also say that with the 3:73, you can expect worse MPG than you'll get with the 3:55 or 3:31 that's available in the F150. At least the '14 and older. I'm not sure what's available on the '15 in terms of a rear end. I also have no real world experience with the 2.7L ecoboost and towing but the HP and Torque numbers are impressive for that size of an engine.

I agree with what others have said about the F150 ecoboost. The only thing I'll add is that if you're going to get one for towing that boat that you get one equipped with the Max Tow Package. This is an added benefit to the F150 ecoboost. My '14 does have a tow package, but not the Max Tow Package. My '11 had the Max Tow Package and there was a notable difference in pulling power. As Boz said, don't buy it for the MPG as it is a bit of a myth. I will also say that with the 3:73, you can expect worse MPG than you'll get with the 3:55 or 3:31 that's available in the F150. At least the '14 and older. I'm not sure what's available on the '15 in terms of a rear end. I also have no real world experience with the 2.7L ecoboost and towing but the HP and Torque numbers are impressive for that size of an engine.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the max tow package is just upgraded cooling, trailer brakes and wiring. Did your 11 have different gearing possibly?

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the max tow package is just upgraded cooling, trailer brakes and wiring. Did your 11 have different gearing possibly?

Bigger mirrors and a 3.73 rear end

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 2

Honestly, I think the suspension tuning is different as well. You are correct on the upgraded cooling. The transmission cooler is larger on the max tow package IIRC. As for the trailer brakes, my '14 that lacks the max tow package still has integrated trailer brake controls. Otherwise, it's as Bozboat suggested with larger mirrors that can slide in and out as well as the 3.73 rear end. That alone makes a big difference over the more typical 3.55.

Honestly, I think the suspension tuning is different as well. You are correct on the upgraded cooling. The transmission cooler is larger on the max tow package IIRC. As for the trailer brakes, my '14 that lacks the max tow package still has integrated trailer brake controls. Otherwise, it's as Bozboat suggested with larger mirrors that can slide in and out as well as the 3.73 rear end. That alone makes a big difference over the more typical 3.55.

my post was more in response to the mentioned perception of more pulling power, which would be from different rear end gearing not specifically the tow package.

If you are not going diesel you are not going to get anything better. It out tows the Chrysler Eco diesel.

BINGO..........

I'd buy EcoBoost for tow rig if I was to get a gasser. For me it's diesel forever and I doubt I'll ever go back from my duramax power and torque.

• Like 3

I really dont understand all the crazyness over the EcoBoost. My friend has a brand new Dodge EcoDiesel and he gets 28mpg highway and its got tons more towing power than the Ford.

In addition, the new Diesel Tundra comes out in 2016 and they are talking comparable numbers to Dodge for their diesel and between 22-24 mpg for their 5.7 liter gas engine and I can tell you that I have considerably less problems with my 3rd Tundra than my buddy with his EcoBoost

I'm right on the border between the new aluminum F150 Eco and just getting a F250 6.7 Diesel. They will be about the same price for 4x4, crew cab, tow package otherwise medium options. My tow is 8800lbs, so leaning slightly towards the diesel.

From the Ford web site it states that the max tow package has an upgraded front stabilizer bar and upgraded rear bumper, and it goes from the standard 3.31 rear end to a 3.51 locking rear end. It looks like the regular tow package also has a transmission cooler. Doesn't say if the max package has a bigger one.

Also trying to figure out if I wait for the 2015 with the aluminum body that shaves off 700 lbs, or go for a deal on a 2014. The 2.7 l Ecoboost is pretty amazing for how small it is.

What do you guys think about the durability of a turbo engine? I mainly drive it back and forth to work about 20 miles a day, so I only put on mileage on trips. Maybe 12,000 miles per year.

I was also considering the Ram diesel. Just a little scared about buying a Fiat diesel. Anyone run that engine for any miles?

Was also considering a Silverado but Consumer Reports gave it a very bad reliability rating.

I don't fallow reports on all the cars and trucks but I have not seen anything on turbo failures. I have a friend who is now going on 100,000 miles on his ECO now and only one problem. He had a coil on plug go bad just recently. His truck is his work truck and does do a fair amount of towing. Some at the top end of capacity.

The price of gas is also changing things again.

I have had other turbo vehicles and never had a problem with any turbo. Just bought a new 2.0 Eco in a MKC Love it! One of my old friends had a turbo mustang 290,000 miles when he sold it. Now I don't think the boost was as much as it is in todays vehicles. Just remember Turbo is nothing new. they have been on many vehicles for many many years.

I really dont understand all the crazyness over the EcoBoost. My friend has a brand new Dodge EcoDiesel and he gets 28mpg highway and its got tons more towing power than the Ford.

In addition, the new Diesel Tundra comes out in 2016 and they are talking comparable numbers to Dodge for their diesel and between 22-24 mpg for their 5.7 liter gas engine and I can tell you that I have considerably less problems with my 3rd Tundra than my buddy with his EcoBoost

They are both rated at 420 lb ft of torque. Explain tons more towing power please.
  • Like 2

Seriously, what the hell is in the gas and diesel fuel in Idaho??? The old 5.7 SBC can plane up 10,000 pounds with the 1235 prop at 7000 ft elevation in 10 seconds and the much less powerful (on paper) eco diesel can eat up an eco boost towing. :lol:

• Like 3