Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

bits and pieces to make your install cleaner

shawndoggy

Waterproof Heat Shrink:

lots of great uses for this stuff. Like when your RCAs need to STAY connected. Or keeping the mic locked in to a WS420.

$_57.JPG

Harbor Freight also has "marine grade" as they call it heat shrink. It is better than their standard heat shrink and has the "goo" on the inside to make the connection waterproof and oil proof.

doubleusb_zps99336f7d.jpg

I actually had one of these in my boat this year. I will be interested to here your feed back on it. Mine isn't so great. It made it a total of two months before becoming a paperweight. No signs of failure anywhere; just stopped working.

I actually had one of these in my boat this year. I will be interested to here your feed back on it. Mine isn't so great. It made it a total of two months before becoming a paperweight. No signs of failure anywhere; just stopped working.

LOL I did buy two just in case....

How about tools?

Crimpers

We talked crimpers to death a couple weeks ago, but I'll still give a shout for the channelock 909s:

909_500x500-425.png

^^^ there are lots of decent knockoffs of these too that I'm sure are fine. It's more about this "style" of crimper than the brand.

Heat Gun:

So I'm embarrased to say that for years I tried shrinking heat shrink with a butane torch. It can be done, but it's very difficult to get it all melted/shrunk without burning the heat shrink a little bit somewhere. There are still lots of good uses for a butane torch, but I don't think that heat shrink is one.

So I finally cracked a couple of years ago when doing a ballast install and bought a harbor freight heat gun. works great! definitely a must have for melting heat shrink tubing and heat shrink butt splices and ring terminals. Great for ballast install too! Anyone who has one of these will tell you, you will burn yourself on it. Or they are lying. LOL I burn myself like three times a season on this thing it seems.

heatgun_zps654abedf.jpg

Not only the right tools, but quality tools are essential in my book. Channel Lock are a great quality tool for this and most other plier-type needs. Never ceases to amaze me how often my friends have top borrow my SK, Channel Lock, Milaukee, etc. tools becasue their often used knock-offs broke.

Very good topic here Shawn. I'm doing my install in a couple months, and several of these will be helpful.

Edited by DIE2SURF

Not only the right tools, but quality tools are essential in my book. Channel Lock are a great quality tool for this and most other plier-type needs. Never ceases to amaze me how often my friends have top borrow my SK, Channel Lock, Milaukee, etc. tools becasue their often used knock-offs broke.

Very good topic here Shawn. I'm doing my install in a couple months, and several of these will be helpful.

Hey now, I'll put my B&D Firestorms up against your Milwaukee and Dewalts any day.

Hey now, I'll put my B&D Firestorms up against your Milwaukee and Dewalts any day.

B&D bought Dewalt several years ago, and the quality is the same now. Milwaukee still makes real tools.

Nice work, Shawn.

Check All Electronics (www.allcorp.com) for surplus gadgets and whatnot, including the relay sockets. Not my fault if you end up buying a bunch of surplus stuff....

I am going to encourage ratcheting crimpers..They are a great great choice for ensuring an even crimp

Electrical Tape

Instead of using standard electrical wire to tie together harnesses and secure wires, use a good quality fabric style Hockey or athletic tape like this :

http://www.amazon.com/Jaybird-And-Mais-Hockey-Tape/dp/B000QBS3I4

Your car electrical harness use this stuff believe it or not, inside and out of the chassis. Its extremely water resistant, very very strong and sticks really well.

When I did all my electrical work, I used it every 2-3 feet to tie wires together and at the end of every wire run and wire protector. Keeps everything in check!!!

The other bad news about those (tried one myself as well) is that they don't isolate electrical noise on the 12V side from the 5V side. If you've got your phone charging (plugged into this baby) and your playing tunes while the boat is running there's a good chance you'll get alternator whine or other electrical noise into the input stream on your phone that plays through your system. Unplug the phone from the USB and all is quiet again. I've since ditched these and am using a fully isolated 12V to 5V power supply to isolate the boat noise from my USB power.

One thing, my boat uses the older style ignition with a distributor so you guys running the newer boats that with all solid state ignitions might be fine since your boat's electrical system will be MUCH quieter than mine.

The other bad news about those (tried one myself as well) is that they don't isolate electrical noise on the 12V side from the 5V side. If you've got your phone charging (plugged into this baby) and your playing tunes while the boat is running there's a good chance you'll get alternator whine or other electrical noise into the input stream on your phone that plays through your system. Unplug the phone from the USB and all is quiet again. I've since ditched these and am using a fully isolated 12V to 5V power supply to isolate the boat noise from my USB power.

One thing, my boat uses the older style ignition with a distributor so you guys running the newer boats that with all solid state ignitions might be fine since your boat's electrical system will be MUCH quieter than mine.

Any impact running via bluetooth (A2DP)?

How did you isolate your power supply?