Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I LOVE PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE, SO MUCH!

Hello,

Have you ever been so infatuated and obsessed with your boat that you make work for yourself, and make excuses to "fix" and perform "preventative maintenance", when there may not be any reason at all? Hah...neither have I... But I have this friend...and he might have gotten a little carried away. Ok, it was me. I "fixed" my perfectly good rudder so well, that I might have caused a problem.

2 months ago while I was winterizing the 'bu, I noticed there were grease fittings on the rudder. The boat is 6 years old, and it doesn't look it the zerks had ever been touched. A light bulb goes off in my head, and the miniature grease monkey on my shoulder starts jumping with joy yelling 'One more thing we can "fix"!' Despite the steering wheel turning as smooth as butter, I accepted this unnecessary mission. I tried greasing them, and it was a no go. The fittings had rusted solid. I replaced the zerk fittings with ease, then pumped grease into the rudder.

I put 3 pumps of grease into the bottom, and 3 into the top. On the third pump into the upper grease fitting, grease came out the top of the rudder shaft. I had a sudden flashback to a bucrew.com topic about too much grease in the rudder box and how you can push out the seal. I searched this form and can not find my answer.

So my question for you. Did I wreck the seal/o-ring? Should I now replace the seal or is it normal for grease to come out of the top.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion bozboat. I'll try this.

Electricjohn, I'm afraid to ask. This is the first I've heard of a key with the rudder assembly. Is it inside the grease box?

Electricjohn, I'm afraid to ask. This is the first I've heard of a key with the rudder assembly. Is it inside the grease box?

Keyway is cut into the shaft and steering arm. I poked a piece of wire into the keyway to see if the key was missing, which it was.

All this talk about rudders I figured I better grease mine. The top one I put 1-1/2 pumps in (so as not to blow out the seal), but the bottom one wouldn't take any (I tried pretty hard) but did not want to force. What do you think the problem is? Could the fitting be clogged ? Are these typical zerk fittings that are threaded in and a small socket is all that's needed to change it?

Edited by iliketoski

All this talk about rudders I figured I better grease mine. The top one I put 1-1/2 pumps in (so as not to blow out the seal), but the bottom one wouldn't take any (I tried pretty hard) but did not want to force. What do you think the problem is? Could the fitting be clogged ? Are these typical zerk fittings that are threaded in and a small socket is all that's needed to change it?

I'd stick something into the zerk and make sure the ball bearing is plunging in and out, even your thumbnail may verify its movement. If the zerk is working, won't take any more grease, and your steering is fine then leave it alone. Don't let this forum trick you into thinking you need to do more.....

• Like 1

Um, a light bulb may have just gone on for me. This is gonna be a kinda long post.

I did the exact same thing.

My boat did not leak ONE drop of water. For 4 years, 6 months in the water each season nonstop, my boat did not leak ONE drop. Then one year, winterizing it, I thought, grease those fittings. Took a lot, came out the bottom.

Since, then, one season, I've had an extremely low amount of water leak in the boat. So slow, I cant find it. I'm wondering if this did it ?

Thanks for the idea,

Steve B.

This may be a stupid question but I always seem to get the grease tip stuck on zirc fittings then have loosen & wrestle it off. I once ruined a bearing buddy getting the grease gun off. What am I doing wrong? Am I putting it on wrong, seems to have push the grease tip on rather hard to get the zirc to open?

Edited by racer808

Um, a light bulb may have just gone on for me. This is gonna be a kinda long post.

I did the exact same thing.

My boat did not leak ONE drop of water. For 4 years, 6 months in the water each season nonstop, my boat did not leak ONE drop. Then one year, winterizing it, I thought, grease those fittings. Took a lot, came out the bottom.

Since, then, one season, I've had an extremely low amount of water leak in the boat. So slow, I cant find it. I'm wondering if this did it ?

Thanks for the idea,

Steve B.

Put water in the bilge while boat is on trailer and see if it leaks out at the rudder.

Edited by electricjohn
  • Like 1

The Zerks are simple to replace. All you need is a 5/16" socket. Here is what I bought as replacements and the old are included: http://i.imgur.com/ATiFaEC.jpg

In terms of the grease gun getting stuck, take the end nozzle apart and then put it back together. This seems to work for me.

Also, I took the zerks out and turned the wheel, and some grease came out of the bottom - thanks for the suggestion.

This may be a stupid question but I always seem to get the grease tip stuck on zirc fittings then have loosen & wrestle it off. I once ruined a bearing buddy getting the grease gun off. What am I doing wrong? Am I putting it on wrong, seems to have push the grease tip on rather hard to get the zirc to open?

Nice to know I'm not he person with this issue ;-)

The Zerks are simple to replace. All you need is a 5/16" socket. Here is what I bought as replacements and the old are included: http://i.imgur.com/ATiFaEC.jpg

In terms of the grease gun getting stuck, take the end nozzle apart and then put it back together. This seems to work for me.

Also, I took the zerks out and turned the wheel, and some grease came out of the bottom - thanks for the suggestion.

I used stainless nipples after pulling out mine which were totally corroded.

Edited by malibuparadise
  • 2 months later...

Do you guys reach in from under the rear seat/floor hatch or do you remove the gas tank to reach the top of the rudder/housing? I've replaced and greased the steering shift from the floor hatch but it's pretty tight reaching the rudder.

I have a 2000 sunsetter LXI

Thanks