Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

engine missing

Yea, you're right! I am in Houston. I have an appointment at the dealer, since I have had about 600 good suggestions about what this might be. I really don't want to send it over there, but at this point it could be a needle in a haystack! It could be minor, or not (I really don't want to think about anything other than minor........ you know what I mean) Are you close to Houston?

Sorry,

Click the link in my signature.

The guys at the dealer are gonna have a hard time duplicating a condition that only happens after driving the boat for 4+ hrs.

Sorry,

Click the link in my signature.

The guys at the dealer are gonna have a hard time duplicating a condition that only happens after driving the boat for 4+ hrs.

You are right.... I am going to check out a few things, then I will go from there. I just don't want my boat to be in storage all summer long due to the fact that I don't know what is wrong with it. I also don't want to get screwed at the dealer. Do you know anyone reliable in Houston?

If you've never changed the fuel filter, I would do that first. It is back on top of the fuel tank I believe. Cost a couple of dollars at auto parts store. My '98 Monsoon did the same thing last year--about 300 hrs on the original fuel filter. At least the newer boats have the filter where it can be seen, but it's hidden on the older ones.

If you've never changed the fuel filter, I would do that first. It is back on top of the fuel tank I believe. Cost a couple of dollars at auto parts store. My '98 Monsoon did the same thing last year--about 300 hrs on the original fuel filter. At least the newer boats have the filter where it can be seen, but it's hidden on the older ones.

actually the some of the "newer" ones have both, one mounted at the engine, one at the tank (at least my '00 RLX does).

Edited by jgouveia3

Changing the fuel filters (both of them) especially at the start of the season is a good idea. It's also very cheap. Before you take it to the shop and pay $$$ replace the filters anyway.

And while you're at it, eliminate the silly in-line filter at the tank. Only the one with the barbs. Go to a hardware store and put in a double barb'd ended brass hose repairer. There's no need for two fuel filters to potentially be clogged. Just run with the one mounted to the engine. I've been doing this for years. Saves me a couple of bucks and one less thing to try to diagnose.

BTW, I don't know anyone in TX that does repairs.

Edited by Pistol Pete

OK, I've heard everything now.... If your engine is missing (as in engine function), some indication of this can be observed by looking at the spark plugs. Generally, because of the nature that we use them, they should be a dry looking brown to black. Under a load with ballast causes the engine to require more fuel, thus the darker color. An engine with a computer will probably have a lighter color brown because of the dynamic control it has on the ignition and fuel systems. The key to this observation is to identify the different one. This gives you some direction to look (i.e. injector, ignition, plugs, etc).

Since it sounds like it is above low RPM and after running it for a period of time, it may be heat related to an electronic component. Heat has a huge impact on them. I test many components for electronic lifetime at temp in many products people use.

Wires are also affected by heat. As mentioned, fuel supply (electric fuel pump?).

You could try a compression test to see if the cylinders are fairly even.

These are some of the things your dealer will go through to trouble shoot your problem.

Good Luck!

I had the same problem a while back and all the dealer did was change both fuel filters and the problem went away.

It happened a couple of years later and this time I replaced both fuel filters and it fixed it again.

Sound simple but I would try this first.

Ok everybody... It WAS the fuel filters. Thanks everyone for all of your input! I am new to this website, and it is wonderful. Malibu owners really DO stick together... Biggrin.gif .......................................