Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

engine missing

Does anyone know anything about a 99' Malibu Response LX? We have been out on our boat several times when after about 4.5 - 5 hours running, it will start to "miss". When idling or going slow it will be fine. This only happens when going fast. I have already changed the coil, wires, & spark plugs.

I can't help with your issue but when I first read the title I thought I was going to hear about somebody uncovering their boat, dropping it in the water, and then when it wouldn't start they opened the engine compartment and someone had stolen the engine Crazy.gif

I can't help with your issue but when I first read the title I thought I was going to hear about somebody uncovering their boat, dropping it in the water, and then when it wouldn't start they opened the engine compartment and someone had stolen the engine Crazy.gif

You are right! It does sound like that... I do have my engine, but it is "missing".

Ha, that is exactly what I thought. Sorry, I'm not much help.

During the first 4 hrs. the boat runs fine no matter what the engine speed? Do you notice anything else about the boat when it's missing? Like, is the engine temp. the same?

I would have replaced the cap and rotor when I was swapping the coil and wires just for insurance.

During the first 4 hrs. the boat runs fine no matter what the engine speed? Do you notice anything else about the boat when it's missing? Like, is the engine temp. the same?

I would have replaced the cap and rotor when I was swapping the coil and wires just for insurance.

The engine temp. stays the same as well as everything else. Do you think that it might be the fuel filter???????

I doubt it's the fuel filter. You'd have problems all day.

Hmmmmm. Well I guess I need to take it into the shop. I will check out what you suggested earlier before I take it in. Thanks for the info. - let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Is it fuel injected? Maybe it's a carb problem.

Does it have points and condensor? Replace them with a Pertronix pick-up conversion.

Have you replaced the water seperator/fuel filter if it has one? Just a guess.

Are you in an unusually hot climate? If so do you have motor box insulation? Could high temp fuel cause missing in a F.I. engine?

I think fuel pumps have intermittant problems. Maybe try a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure while the problem is happening.

Next guess

Vapor lock?

Where would a vapor lock be?

Uhhh,

If the vapor is locked, you'll need to un-lock it and then add a bottle of anti-vapor lock.

Pete, that's helpful but not complete. To find the vapor lock you need to trace the fuel line from the pump to the engine. Mid-way you will find a padlock which your ignition key should open--if not, break out the bolt cutters. Once unlocked it will be obvious as to where to put the bottle of anti-vapor lock. You can get a bottle of this at any automotive store.

Is it fuel injected? Maybe it's a carb problem.

Does it have points and condensor? Replace them with a Pertronix pick-up conversion.

Have you replaced the water seperator/fuel filter if it has one? Just a guess.

Are you in an unusually hot climate? If so do you have motor box insulation? Could high temp fuel cause missing in a F.I. engine?

I think fuel pumps have intermittant problems. Maybe try a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure while the problem is happening.

Next guess

Ditto on the fuel pump if you have a carburated engine.

Seriously,

The question about hitting the rev limiter is a good one. Is the boat only missing at WOT?

IT STARTS AT AROUND 15 MPH AND HIGHER. It comes and goes. There is no pattern - other than it always starts at around 4 1/2 - 5 hrs. after running the boat.

Since it starts after 4-5 hours of running, and only when you're going 15 MPH or better, could it be possible that your fuel pickup line is not laying properly in the tank?

If I recall correctly, there should be a "sump" in the bottom of the tank where the end of the pickup should be, and if it's not there, you could be starving if for gas occasionlly.

Also, if you have some crap floating around on top of the gas, maybe the pickup could be getting into that after burning a few hours of fuel.

See if your fuel pump "squeals" when it happens...if so, you are starving it for fuel...maybe the screen on the end of your pickup is getting clogged....

The fuel level would be one thing that would change consistently with time...

Edited by rts

Perhaps a contaminant in your gas (water?) I think water floats on gas, so it would only happen when the gas level got to that point. I'm not sure, but the same thing used to happen in a truck I had, and the problemo was water in the gas.

Where are you located, Nicholas?

Sounds like me and you need to go for a 4 hr. run in your boat w/my fuel pressure gauge and other diagnostic tools.