Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cayenne as a tow vehicle?

RyanB

With my old boat, a 21' sterndrive, I towed tandem behind my fifthweel. With my new 23LSV I am concerned about both the additional weight (1000 pounds) and length (around 3' overall), and think that I may need to get a second tow vehicle to tow the boat to the lake.

I would likely only use this to tow the boat 4 - 5 times per year, around 200 miles one-way, on mostly flat interstate. On our long trips to Lake Powell I would use my 3500 CTD.

If I go this direction, the vehicle that this SUV would replace is my 2007 Porsche Cayman S. I would want to stay in the same ball park price range (think $30k), so that would be a 2007 - 2009 Cayenne with around 50,000 miles on the clock.

So, does anyone have first hand experience with the Cayenne?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a photo of the tandem setup for those interested.

Probably have 20,000 + trouble free miles this way. Just a little concerned I am pushing my luck.

image_zps54bbe990.jpg

I have a 2006 Cayenne. Bought it in 2009 with 43k miles. It now has 120k miles. Runs like a champ.

I have been towing with my Cayenne since 2009. I towed my first boat, a 2000 LXI. Then I got a 2007 VTX in 2013. The Cayenne towed these boats great. I too thought about getting a bigger boat like a 24LSV. I know it's under the tow rating, but I would get a real truck to tow the bigger boats. If you were just towing 25-50 miles to the lake, I would say it would be fine. For longer trips, you will be pushing its limits.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_1367_zps63a9b4cf.jpg

Edited by Clutch-n-Throttle

Sorry. 08 - 09 Cayenne. My Cayman is an 07. Would rather have the updates that started in 08.

I already have 1 truck. I don't want 2, which is why I am thinking SUV.

I towed our VLX with our 08 V10 Touareg. Towed it better than my 05 Avalanche. The larger brakes, air suspension, and computer system actually kept it much more stable than you would expect. The only difference is the hitch on the unibody frame took some getting used to. It is much louder than the body and frame in a traditional truck. If the hitch shifts any in the receiver it is fairly loud in the cab.

If the Cayenne has the air suspension it will do fine. I'm not sure which engines are available in that year range but I would go with something over the base for sure.

If you can find one, a VW Touareg V10 would be the best if you wanted to stick to a med sized SUV

I was thinking a diesel Touareg or X5 would be high on the list if I was looking for a SUV to tow with.

I was thinking a diesel Touareg or X5 would be high on the list if I was looking for a SUV to tow with.

As much as I wish the X5 (or for me the X6) was a tow vehicle, I would replace my Yukon Denali in a heart beat, I don't think it would make a good one. For me, it lacks the buffer I would want in towing capacity and I question the transmission. I hope they address this with the upcoming X7.

Only issue I've had with my V10 TDI is TOO MUCH POWER!

Most of the Touareg issues were in 04 years. Electrical problems. They were addressed. Not sure on the anything past 09, I have not kept up.

But if you do break something on the V10 it most likely requires dropping the engine. That engine bay is full with it in there.

Only looking at the cayenne or are you open to other options?

I need to get out and drive a few vehicles. Also considering a Grand Cherokee or Q7.

I know they are similar vehicles, but I am not in love with the Tourag.

Would love the TDI, but have only found one where I would like to be price range wise (it is in a Q7), and has more than twice the mileage of anything that is gas powered.

If going with Cayenne, I would get at least the S which is the V8.

As much as I wish the X5 (or for me the X6) was a tow vehicle, I would replace my Yukon Denali in a heart beat, I don't think it would make a good one. For me, it lacks the buffer I would want in towing capacity and I question the transmission. I hope they address this with the upcoming X7.

I have a 2010 X6M - for me it's the perfect combination of daily driver and tow vehicle. 555hp (408kW), 680nm torque, self levelling suspension etc - tows the VTX perfectly. So it should - has a 7716 pound (3500kg) towing capacity (ie more than a standard X5 or X6 due to the larger brakes, beefier suspension and more power etc). Should be more than adequate for a 23'er. It's lots of fun to drive too - especially as it does 0-100kph (62 mph) in 4.7 seconds ;). In fact the only problem I have with it is what to do when it comes update - the new ones are $205,000 Aussie dollars :(

I have a 2010 X6M - for me it's the perfect combination of daily driver and tow vehicle. 555hp (408kW), 680nm torque, self levelling suspension etc - tows the VTX perfectly. So it should - has a 7716 pound (3500kg) towing capacity (ie more than a standard X5 or X6 due to the larger brakes, beefier suspension and more power etc). Should be more than adequate for a 23'er. It's lots of fun to drive too - especially as it does 0-100kph (62 mph) in 4.7 seconds ;). In fact the only problem I have with it is what to do when it comes update - the new ones are $205,000 Aussie dollars :(

I'm going to have to look into that. I did not know the M-version had more towing capacity. Very intriguing . . . .

Since you are looking at 1st Generation Cayenne's anyway, have you considered going a couple years older and getting a Turbo instead for similar money? You get a lot more power plus a few extra goodies with the Turbo.

I'm more concerned about mileage than I am year with cars. I would like to stay at or below 50,000 miles. Going older than 06 and the mileage comes up.

Also, I believe that the 08 was the first year of the update to the Cayenne. Is that not correct?

And if I go much above $30,000, I am getting into the territory where I could buy a new Grand Cherokee Limited with the V8. I have always been a fan of the GC. Of course for just a few thousand more, I could get the GC with an EcoDiesel, which would be great. And then, for a few thousand more, I could end up with a........

I've never been very good at staying within a budget.......

Edited by RyanB

I'm more concerned about mileage than I am year with cars. I would like to stay at or below 50,000 miles. Going older than 06 and the mileage comes up.

Also, I believe that the 08 was the first year of the update to the Cayenne. Is that not correct?

And if I go much above $30,000, I am getting into the territory where I could buy a new Grand Cherokee Limited with the V8.

I think with the turbo, you will find a few more that were not daily driven, so finding a lower mileage one that's older would be easier than with other models in the lineup.

'11 was the first year of the 2nd generation Cayenne (the 958). 2008 is just when they did the facelift to the first generation, where it is also referred to as a 957 instead of a 955.

Thanks for the links. For now, I would like to stay a little closer to home for a purchase, and would really like to find a dealer that would trade my 2007 Cayman S. I think it will be next to impossible to sell that on my own, especially this time of year.