Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Chevy Avalanche Towing

hunter77ah

The Avalanche is a Suburban. It just has the rear clipped off. And if I'm not mistaken it is actually slightly heavier than the Suburban due to some additional bracing required when removing that portion of the roof.

The Avalanche is a Suburban. It just has the rear clipped off. And if I'm not mistaken it is actually slightly heavier than the Suburban due to some additional bracing required when removing that portion of the roof.

Do you mean Tahoe?

And Bill, your dogs still stink. Trust me. Most dog owners have become accustomed to the smell....however I can assure you that all canine beasts emit a foul order. Except maybe boots. His poo smells like lilies and roses.

You have obviously not met my wife. Those dogs are living cleaner than most kids. I'm sure they do stink to you. But no one else has ever mentioned it.

Besides the fact that the Av has a bed that is separate from the trucks interior. Not like a real truck bed obviously, but its very easy to keep the dogs off the seats or close off the bed from the cab.

No he means suburban.

Welp...I stand corrected. I did some research and you guys are right. Guess the wheelbase just looks longer on the Suburban.

Why didnt the suburban ever get the cat eye front end that was avalible from 04-07?

Why didnt the suburban ever get the cat eye front end that was avalible from 04-07?

Yea, not sure why, but the Tahoe and Suburban share the same front end. Then the Avalanche and Silverado share one. Plus some Avs got the cladding, which has a different front end.

20131224_144843_zpssmmiepzq.jpg

I've had my '02 for 9 years, has 160k on the clock.

- '02 - '06 brakes are garbage. After my brake lines rotted out (known issue), I upgraded to SS lines, SS flex lines, slotted/cross drilled rotors, EBC Yellow Stuff pads, all new calipers and upgraded to the 13" '07+ brakes. Also converted from vacuum to Hydroboost assist.

- Fuel pump died @ 75k, alternator around that time and cats failed around 100k. Wheel bearings both died, but are pretty cheap to replace (each lasted into the 150kish range). Z71 Bilstein shocks died in the front when I got her, but rears are still good. Had a few other minor things go, nothing worth noting as it was cheap/easy stuff to fix.

- Motor is stock, did plugs/wires @ 100k. Tranny I did a big cooler on her right after purchase and have never touched it otherwise.

Towing...ehh, its okay. I've towed over 7000lbs of combined tow weight/gear/passengers, running 3.73's, through the Kentucky/Tennessee hills. She would get warm and downshifted to 2nd sometimes, but got the job done. I have HP Tuners and have adjusted my towing shift points, as the stock towing points are garbage. Unless you are towing long distances frequently, the Avalanche will get the job done but there are better options (including the 2500) out there. If towing long distances often, get an Escalade EXT of the same year...won't be much more than a loaded Avalanche of similar age/mileage/condition.

- '02 - '06 brakes are garbage. After my brake lines rotted out (known issue), I upgraded to SS lines, SS flex lines, slotted/cross drilled rotors, EBC Yellow Stuff pads, all new calipers and upgraded to the 13" '07+ brakes. Also converted from vacuum to Hydroboost assist.

Interesting. I have never had any problems with my brakes. I've replaced the pads once so far. I suspect I'll have to replace rotors soon, only because of the mileage. No clue if their within spec or not. But they don't even shudder at all yet (like when they've heated up & warped).

Largest locking trunk? You can get a locking trunk on any pickup made.

Yea, I had a fiberglass tonneau on a Dodge Dakota. It locked OK. But removing it was a 2 man job. And storing it was a PITA because I didn't have a garage. I've seen the rollup ones but don't have good experiences with them. The Av tonneau is tough as nails, comes off in 3 pieces that are easily manageable by myself in a minute or two, and stores in the bed.

I've had a couple of issues with the Av in the 6 yrs I've owned it. The servo that is the 4WD/2WD actuator failed early on. Their about $300 replaced.

The servos on the gas gauge & oil pressure gauge have recently failed (it's the gauge itself as the DIC still measures the gas level fine). Apparently this is common & the entire cluster rebuilt is less than $150. And for $175 I can have all the servos replaced, the light bulbs upgraded to LEDs, and a trans temp gauge installed.

And the service air bags light recently came on. I've read where it's a connector in the system, either under the front seats or behind the front bumper. Supposedly a $200-$300 job by any shop with the right kind of computer reader.

Interesting. I have never had any problems with my brakes. I've replaced the pads once so far. I suspect I'll have to replace rotors soon, only because of the mileage. No clue if their within spec or not. But they don't even shudder at all yet (like when they've heated up & warped).

Yea, I had a fiberglass tonneau on a Dodge Dakota. It locked OK. But removing it was a 2 man job. And storing it was a PITA because I didn't have a garage. I've seen the rollup ones but don't have good experiences with them. The Av tonneau is tough as nails, comes off in 3 pieces that are easily manageable by myself in a minute or two, and stores in the bed.

I've had a couple of issues with the Av in the 6 yrs I've owned it. The servo that is the 4WD/2WD actuator failed early on. Their about $300 replaced.

The servos on the gas gauge & oil pressure gauge have recently failed (it's the gauge itself as the DIC still measures the gas level fine). Apparently this is common & the entire cluster rebuilt is less than $150. And for $175 I can have all the servos replaced, the light bulbs upgraded to LEDs, and a trans temp gauge installed.

And the service air bags light recently came on. I've read where it's a connector in the system, either under the front seats or behind the front bumper. Supposedly a $200-$300 job by any shop with the right kind of computer reader.

my cluster (speedo & oil pressure) is failing. Where do u get them rebuilt?

my cluster (speedo & oil pressure) is failing. Where do u get them rebuilt?

Google it. There are a dozen different companies doing it on Ebay & Amazon. It's a common problem on all the GM trucks so every forum under the sun has guys looking into it or have already done it.

I am about to go with this guy: http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/gm_cluster_repair.asp

Plenty of 3 panel locking covers for pickups. Mine is a bakflip

Yea, my buddy has one on a Silverado..... which is why I won't own one. I hope yours is better than his. And that your not dealing with their customer service. It's a few years old now so maybe things have improved.

Oh, and I also have owned a 93 Bronco & an 89 4'Runner. I just like the removable cab idea.... a lot. Would love to build an early 70s Chevy Blazer, 2WD.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. I'll let you guys know what I decide. It would mainly be for a 20 min tow to the river on the weekend and possibly a trip to cumberland once every year.

Nice article, I am still unsure what the lm7 is...

LM7 is just the engine code for a regular 5.3L

LM7

The Vortec 5300 LM7 (VIN code 8th digit "T") was introduced in 1999, and can be considered the "garden variety" version of the Generation III 5.3 liter V8's. The 1999 LM7 engine produced 270 hp (201 kW) and 315 lb·ft (427 N·m), 2000-2003 engines made 285 hp (213 kW) and 325 lb·ft (441 N·m). The 2004-2007 engines made 295 hp (220 kW) and 335 lb·ft (454 N·m), it has a cast iron block and aluminum heads.

Edited by oldjeep

And Bill, your dogs still stink. Trust me. Most dog owners have become accustomed to the smell....however I can assure you that all canine beasts emit a foul order. Except maybe boots. His poo smells like lilies and roses.

My dog River (Vizsla) is good on the smell front . . . .

Dogs 101 Visla: http://youtu.be/zEn4WXXhKmQ

• Like 1

Up through '04, the brake lines rust out. There were talks of a class action suit but nothing ever happened. Front brakes are also a joke. G80 rear got 13" brakes (Z71/Z66 trucks), non G80 got 12.8" rears. Fronts are 12" across the board. The 13" rears on the G80 are the reason the Z71/Z66 have 17" wheels as the 16" wheels won't clear it. Front brakes suck on these trucks; I murdered a couple sets of rotors as a result. 13" front are a really easy upgrade; buy rotors/pads/calipers for an '07+ truck, bolt right on, done.

Transfer case motor, at least on my '02, was about $40 used on eBay and an easy swap out. I had an issue I was troubleshooting and swapped it (wasn't the issue)...I actually need to sell the one I bought. Issue ended up being frying the transfer case control module behind the dash due to a failed ground wire I didn't take care of when I should have. TCCM was I think around $30 on eBay and an easy repair.

I know alot of you guys are DIYers and those dashes are very easy to fix. There are servos for each gauge that are very cheap to buy (6 for like $15-20), it takes less then an hour to do. You need to pull the gauge cluster out which takes like 5 minutes and a 7mm socket, then pull the cluster apart which is pretty self explanatory and just clipped together, the needles just pull off the servos, the servo are just soldered into place, plug it back in the truck without putting it all back together and check needle alinement. It really is easy and may save someone a few days sending it out.

• Like 1

LM7 is just the engine code for a regular 5.3LLM7The Vortec 5300 LM7 (VIN code 8th digit "T") was introduced in 1999, and can be considered the "garden variety" version of the Generation III 5.3 liter V8's. The 1999 LM7 engine produced 270 hp (201 kW) and 315 lb·ft (427 N·m), 2000-2003 engines made 285 hp (213 kW) and 325 lb·ft (441 N·m). The 2004-2007 engines made 295 hp (220 kW) and 335 lb·ft (454 N·m), it has a cast iron block and aluminum heads.

There's also an LM4 and L33 5.3l

The lm7 is generally the easiest to pick up cheap, and still responds really well to mods.

I've considered a 5.3 swap with a turbo on it for my G. But the costs for the swaps are still astronomical. Had several friends do LS swaps... costs are usually 15-20k by the time you're done, depending on what motor you go with. :/