Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Chevy Avalanche Towing

hunter77ah

Anyone tow their 'bu with an Avalanche? I am looking at the 04 or earlier with the 5.3 and the 4.10 gears. Would be towing a vlx now, but looking for something that would tow an A24 or G23. My ladyfriend really likes the utility and styling of the Avy, but I am just looking for something that tows relatively well.

I know the 2500 is out there, but the 8.1 seems like overkill.

Thanks!

Caddy truck w/t the 6.2 (6.0) in the year range you are looking would be better I wouldn't want to try to tow a g23 without at least the 6.2. Had an 03 Avy, was good enough to tow the VLX but wouldn't want to tow much more than that with it.

Edited by jb 156

I used to tow 23 foot boat with a 06 Avalanche with 4.10 gears. It was lousy on any long steep grades. Would not hold second gear, would shift down to first, scream to 6k rpm, shift to second then shift back down to first. Would do this over and over unless I just left it in first. Tranny also ran very hot even with an external cooler.

In my experience, the 5.3 (I don't have experience with the new ecotec) is only good for small trailers and loads less than 5k. That is especially true when climbing a lot of hills. That said, if I were towing less than 10 miles to the lake, I wouldn't worry about it.

My 08 Silverado with the 5.3l seems to do fine. It will get crap gas mileage and burn through the front brakes quickly but if you aren't trailering long distances often then it will be fine.

Sent from my SPH-L710

No first hand experience, but I follow a few RV forums where lots of folks use a 5.3 to tow more weight than a boat. It won't pull like a diesel, but it will do the job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an 05 with the 5.3 & 4.10s. It has over 145k miles on it, many trips loaded & towing the Vride, twice to Shasta (+1200 miles), once to Hells Canyon (+900 miles) many to Banks Lake (around 200 miles). I get about 15 mpg mixed, 11 towing. Doesnt burn or leak anything. Trans is still goin. Its not the fastest towing up the steep mt passes, but does a descent job. The gears are very important with the 5.3.

20130524_195143-1_zps7152aba7.jpg

I love the open bed. Some summers the back is open for 2 or 3 months straight.

IMG_20140715_113442441_zpsxho17sa3.jpg

Anyone tow their 'bu with an Avalanche? I am looking at the 04 or earlier with the 5.3 and the 4.10 gears. Would be towing a vlx now, but looking for something that would tow an A24 or G23. My ladyfriend really likes the utility and styling of the Avy, but I am just looking for something that tows relatively well.

I know the 2500 is out there, but the 8.1 seems like overkill.

Thanks!

How far and how often are you towing?

I have an 05 with the 5.3 & 4.10s. It has over 145k miles on it, many trips loaded & towing the Vride, twice to Shasta (+1200 miles), once to Hells Canyon (+900 miles) many to Banks Lake (around 200 miles). I get about 15 mpg mixed, 11 towing. Doesnt burn or leak anything. Trans is still goin. Its not the fastest towing up the steep mt passes, but does a descent job. The gears are very important with the 5.3.20130524_195143-1_zps7152aba7.jpg

I love the open bed. Some summers the back is open for 2 or 3 months straight.IMG_20140715_113442441_zpsxho17sa3.jpg

Lol. Didn't even know my Avy could do that. Nice!

Still wouldn't let a stinky dog in my vehicle though. :)

I bet you'd let boots ride shotgun[emoji6]

I'm not a big dog person but I'd make an exception for boots.

Side note: wife just ripped on me for not knowing avalanche could do that. She knew. Yes I have some clueless moments.

• Like 1

I had a 5.3 and 4.10 gears in a crew cab pick-up. One of the few vehicles I lament getting rid of. Hauled through the mountains a couple of times a year no issues. Wouldn't win any races but was a great truck even around town as it had a bit extra pick-up off the line due to gears without a huge penalty at the pump.

Hhahahaha, geez Doc. That mid-gate is about 1/2 the reason I bought an Avalanche. Plus the fact that it is the largest locking trunk sold, I can get 2 fully assembled SkySkis, plus all the gear, locked up in the bed. And still have room for 6 normal sized adults in the cab.

Oh, and BTW, your allowed to bathe your dogs now days.

As someone who has owned an 05 Avalanche with 5.3 and 3.73 gears I would say it is fine for a VLX. The 4.10 would make it better but it still will not win any awards. It towed our VLX for years. Lots of downshifts on the interstate though. And we are fairly flat with a few rolling hills.

Also as someone who now has a G23 I would not want any part of towing it with that combo. The G23 dry is 5400 lbs dry. The tow limit for that model Avalanche is 7700 lbs. After you add in the trailer, fuel, and gear you will surely be on or over that. That isn't even counting people and gear in the truck.

I did love the Avalanche versatility though. My wife hated the looks. With the covered box, midgate, and side boxes it was great. If you are planning on loading up the bed with mulch and loads of dirt you will most likely clog the drainage system (must keep that clear to keep the bed dry). Otherwise it did everything I asked from a 1/2 ton.

You didn't know it could do that? I thought that was the only reason people paid a premium for those things over a short box crew cab.

• Like 1

Hhahahaha, geez Doc. That mid-gate is about 1/2 the reason I bought an Avalanche. Plus the fact that it is the largest locking trunk sold, I can get 2 fully assembled SkySkis, plus all the gear, locked up in the bed. And still have room for 6 normal sized adults in the cab.

Oh, and BTW, your allowed to bathe your dogs now days.

Largest locking trunk? You can get a locking trunk on any pickup made.

I tow a 21' Supra with a tandem axle trailer all summer, with a few 200 mile round-trips to NH thrown in with an '01 Suburban with the 5.3 and 3.73's. Like the others have said, it won't win any awards on speed but I'm happy with it. PO changed the trans fluid every 30k miles before I bought it, and I do the same. Still shifts like new with 180k on the odometer, towing at least once a week from April-October. Take care of it and the 5.3/4L60E is a good combo. The one thing I would change is to have a 5 or 6-speed trans, and/or the 4.10's. Sometimes it's just missing a little power after a shift, for instance low speed pulls up hills. I'd say the 4.10's will treat you better, and the Avy is probably a lighter truck than the 'Burb so it should be ok for how you are going to use it.

I can see you already have a number of replies, but figured i would add my .02

I have an 05 with 5.3 and 3.73. It tows fine for me around town. I have towed it to the lake in north AL (330mile each way) and it did fine. As others mentioned it did not like the steep grades and would downshift and hold high RPMs, but it made the trip with no issues.

I would also like to add, I LOVE MY AVY. everyday i drive it i think about how great a truck it is.

Is the best tow vehicle? No... Will you love it and will it get the job done? YES.

IMG_0339_zpscf6228df.jpg

You didn't know it could do that? I thought that was the only reason people paid a premium for those things over a short box crew cab.

My BIL was moving to Korea and sold it to me for peanuts.

I didn't really care other than it was a truck.

And Bill, your dogs still stink. Trust me. Most dog owners have become accustomed to the smell....however I can assure you that all canine beasts emit a foul order. Except maybe boots. His poo smells like lilies and roses.

Caddy truck w/t the 6.2 (6.0) in the year range you are looking would be better I wouldn't want to try to tow a g23 without at least the 6.2. Had an 03 Avy, was good enough to tow the VLX but wouldn't want to tow much more than that with it.

I tow my '14 mb tomcat with an 05 caddy (avalanche). it pulls well, gearing could be better (came with 3.42).

Edited by Kalamazoo