Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rockford-Fosgate, Polk Audio, JL Audio, Exile Audio - And so the install begins

nemalibu

Head Unit - Rockford Fosgate RFX5000 black box

Remote - Rockford Fosgate MR5BB

Bluetooth Dongle - Rockford Fosgate

Equalizer/LineDriver - Exile Audio ZLD MKII

Amp for cabin speakers and sub - Rockford Fosgate M600-5

Amp for tower speakers - Rockford Fosgate M400-4D

4 Cabin speakers - Polk Audio MM651UM

Subwoofer - JL Audio M10W5

2 Tower Speakers - Exile Audio SXT9Q

XScorpion Distribution Blocks - Fused and Non Fused

Various extension cables and ANL fuses

Still need to build a custom box for the subwoofer

First I am installing 4 cabin speakers.

I made a template with two concentric rings - one is the outside dimension of the speaker, and the other is the required hole size. I first covered the area with painters tape and then placed the template where I want the speaker to go.

8dee2f32a347a22025f155d60f4eb6ed.jpg

Then I remove the outer ring and mark where the hole needs to go.

8aed3c93383022ec6b755054b71be042.jpg

Then since I don't have a hole saw that big I use a MultiMax knockoff to cut out the hole.

2be59a75adcdc4aabafb3eb033725917.jpg

Then I clean up the hole, install new crimp on push on connectors, and mount the speaker.

cbaf265335d64fa7849e61ed0b0818d0.jpg

Sorry the pictures are not that great. More to come.

I'm now working on the amp board, which in my case also holds the reversible pump for my front bag.

Edited by nemalibu
  • Like 1

Now working the amp board.

Removed the amp board. Turned it over and flipped over the amps etc to work layout options.

0467e859c6d908c27b1de35cc748d2da.jpg

The board is too floppy so I decided to stiffen it with a piece of 3/4" Al angle stock.

acdac9564ae177fd583bb527b18e35f7.jpg

Mounting the pump on studs so that I can easily remove it to replace the impeller when needed.

8be895c4d2157aaa5d60698513d92e4d.jpg

Now I have it all mounted.

d578dc9a4899af9c80728eb40b88ddf2.jpg

Next steps are probably to mount and wire the tower speakers.

Edited by nemalibu

I'm not sure I'd want that ballast pump on my amp board???? :crazy:

Agreed. That is asking for bad things to happen. Those pumps can and eventually will leak. There's plenty of room in that compartment to move the pump elsewhere. I'd have to see a thread titled my pump leaked and killed all my amps. Or worse yet shorted out and started a fire.

Just had mounted it there when I had no stereo and want to avoid having to remount and rerun the hoses and electrical.

Also I like that I can thru bolt the pump instead of hanging it off stainless steel wood screws.

Edited by nemalibu

Good point. I was thinking that those are sunk into two wood rails instead of into 3/8 plastic sheet. I may be kidding myself but I was thinking that the screws in the thin plastic sheet are a bit weak for that load. I don't have enough experience to know for sure.

The weight of the amp rack "should" be transfered laterally onto a ledge/notch along the length of the bottom of the rack... With the screws only there to hold it in place.... IE the weight of the rack shouldn't be in the screws if its In place correctly.

A brief word about the Rockford-Fosgate M400-4D. In 2 channel mode with outputs bridged, every input goes to every output - a loss of stereo imaging and a mudding of the sound. Once I tested this and then tested it in 4 channel mode with outputs bridged and y connections so that the right channel is going to both rear inputs and the left channel is going to both front channels inputs, everything now runs great and sounds much better.

Glad I did this bench test before doing the install and getting stuck doing debug and re-wiring in the boat.

I think I am going to be able to build a box for the sub and fit it without having to move the kick panel. It is going to be a funny looking box. I made some templates and now I plan to get this drawn up in SolidWorks and make prints for the panels from there. I am thinking that I will join the panels with glued finger joints.

The kick panel fits so nicely now and sort of slots into the side of the walk through. I really would rather not change it. Have to see how complex the box will wind up being.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished installing - the amp board, the ZLD MKII, the RFX remote, the tower speakers, and the wiring.

Everything but the sub is in and it sounds great. Can't wait to get the sub box built and installed.

Here are some install pictures.

6c7d70c08c0e53ddec2a36e6aba76474.jpg

77e796e03a252313ac439072d2ed86c7.jpg

eca5703857f3fb31ae60b0e934c89a3b.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great, what made you go with the ZLD over the WS420? I'm going to get one of those at some point, just cant decide which one.

Mostly they had a one day 1/2 price sale.

Just completed the mock up for the sub woofer box. Tomorrow I test fit it and then if all is ok, I need a design for the finger joints I plan to use and then cut the wood.

0ac17d69746a573decc14a2e3301273a.jpg

f534fc7bf4ec251bb6a21419ddb6d75d.jpg

Funny box still did not quite fit. Now have an updated design

a6a1a1b8a53dd1697e79fa34398c25fb.jpg

As you can see I plan to used finger joints pretty much everywhere.

I am first cutting one out of cardboard to make really sure it fits before I commit to the real wood.

a0f555132d481a7633d95449f98668e3.jpg

Probably test fit it tomorrow.

• Like 1

I mean no offence, but you are way over complicating the assembly. With square cut joints, some wood glue and a few screws, that box wont be coming apart and will be way easier to seal those seams.

• Like 4

Funny box still did not quite fit. Now have an updated design

a6a1a1b8a53dd1697e79fa34398c25fb.jpg

I am first cutting one out of cardboard to make really sure it fits before I commit to the real wood.

a0f555132d481a7633d95449f98668e3.jpg

Probably test fit it tomorrow.

A3CB0B12-F224-4B0B-ACB6-8E502603990D_zpsNope, this was just made 2 days ago. 1.2 cu.ft. for my Exile 12" in my 2012 VLX with heater.