Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

REV 10's and G4

Wake23LSV

Yeah I know. It's just that the syn 4 is tapped out on an effective 2 ohm load but the 600.2 is on an effective 4 ohm load and still has some headroom.

I agree the 600.2 appears to be the better route for sure. I wasn't aware of them when I bought my first set, otherwise I probably would have went that route, not just for headroom, but also one less amp to mount from the sounds of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm talking about running TWO ks 600.2s to be clear.

If going that route I'd go 2 sd6 amps so I could get close to 550 per tower speaker and power some of my in boats too,

If going that route I'd go 2 sd6 amps so I could get close to 550 per tower speaker and power some of my in boats too,

Certainly the overkill gold standard. That costs like 2.5x as much tho.

Lol that 800/8 doc wants would be PERFECT

Two questions... 1) I have no idea what 800/8 means, but I guess I'll follow up with Doc. 2) what's with all the LOL's? You in a silly mood or something? Or just laughing at my stupid question? I don't get the joke.

No cuz I was telling doc NOT to get that amp but for rev8s it would be perfect. I'm referring to the JL Audio xd 800/8. In the doc Phil thread much discussed.

Ahhh... I see. Thanks for the model #

If you're referring to the 100 page Doc thread then that explains why I was clueless (I never open that one).

• 4 weeks later...

I can tell you for sure that 2 pairs of the REV-10s will not fit on a G4 tower without modification. Trust Me I've talked to PTM. The over lap by about .75". The three options are: 1. Use the spinner mount and turn the inboard speakers a few degrees towards the center of the boat. 2. Custom machine a bracket that offsets the speaker forward. 3. Custom machine a bracket that offsets the speaker inboard.

As far as the tower itself, it looks pretty ease to access wiring. You can take the inboard lower access panel off to gain access to the wire harness. You can take the upper outboard panel off to gain access and the top off the tower panel is removable. Just tighten all allen bolts to 30 FT LBS when reinstalling the access panels. I've seen this tower disassembled.

Edited by HB Boater

I can tell you for sure that 2 pairs of the REV-10s will not fit on a G4 tower without modification. Trust Me I've talked to PTM. The over lap by about .75". The three options are: 1. Use the spinner mount and turn the inboard speakers a few degrees towards the center of the boat. 2. Custom machine a bracket that offsets the speaker forward. 3. Custom machine a bracket that offsets the speaker inboard.

As far as the tower itself, it looks pretty ease to access wiring. You can take the inboard lower access panel off to gain access to the wire harness. You can take the upper outboard panel off to gain access and the top off the tower panel is removable. Just tighten all allen bolts to 30 FT LBS when reinstalling the access panels. I've seen this tower disassembled.

Awesome post, especially the part about the easy access to wiring. that's a nice plus!

Thanks, the build quality on this tower is insane. I'm new to Malibu, I switched over from a Mastercraft X-45. My boat is due here at the end of the month, and I've been dealing with Simon at Wetsounds. He's awesome. I'm putting 2 pairs of REV-10s on the G4 so they have been helping me with engineering questions. Things to be aware of: if you don't order tower speakers from Malibu on the G4, PTM is instructed to put strut packge one in (this has to do with how strong the dampening is on the tower fold down) If speakers are ordered strut package two is installed by PTM. The problem is if you don't order speakers and plan on installing them on your own (my case) you'll have the wrong strut package installed. Most sales reps are unaware of this because Malibu doen't pass that info along and it's not on the configuration page of the boat builds.

This is my case now, we're tring to rectify. I gave PTM my HID # and said it shipped with strut one option. My boat has not left the factory so I'm trying to have this fixed before it ships.

Stay tuned.

Thanks, the build quality on this tower is insane. I'm new to Malibu, I switched over from a Mastercraft X-45. My boat is due here at the end of the month, and I've been dealing with Simon at Wetsounds. He's awesome. I'm putting 2 pairs of REV-10s on the G4 so they have been helping me with engineering questions. Things to be aware of: if you don't order tower speakers from Malibu on the G4, PTM is instructed to put strut packge one in (this has to do with how strong the dampening is on the tower fold down) If speakers are ordered strut package two is installed by PTM. The problem is if you don't order speakers and plan on installing them on your own (my case) you'll have the wrong strut package installed. Most sales reps are unaware of this because Malibu doen't pass that info along and it's not on the configuration page of the boat builds.

This is my case now, we're tring to rectify. I gave PTM my HID # and said it shipped with strut one option. My boat has not left the factory so I'm trying to have this fixed before it ships.

Stay tuned.

I doubt this will be an issue personally. I have one pair of 10's and I have to pull the tower down after it's unlatched. Unless It will wear in quickly, I think it will be just fine with the strut 1 pack.

Stay tuned.

Good luck getting the factory to fix this for you. Look at my signature... I put aftermarket tower speakers on every Malibu you see there. Each time I ordered the heavy duty G3 tower shocks, and each time Malibu ignored me. So my dealer had to swap them out on all three boats.

Malibu doesn't like to do things out of process. I've tried to order other custom changes, and they typically won't do it. Only once was I successful and it was gel coat related.

This year my boat is coming with G4 tower and 4 factory Rev 8's. I figure once properly powered they'll be fine. But it's something I'm nervous about. I haven't had great luck with WS in the past.

Edited by IXFE

Good luck getting the factory to fix this for you. Look at my signature... I put aftermarket tower speakers on every Malibu you see there. Each time I ordered the heavy duty G3 tower shocks, and each time Malibu ignored me. So my dealer had to swap them out on all three boats.

Malibu doesn't like to do things out of process. I've tried to order other custom changes, and they typically won't do it. Only once was I successful and it was gel coat related.

This year my boat is coming with G4 tower and 4 factory Rev 8's. I figure once properly powered they'll be fine. But it's something I'm nervous about. I haven't had great luck with WS in the past.

Did the dealer charge you for the change, or did they comp it?

Another thing PTM confirmed with the G4 tower are the speakers are wired in a series. So a 2 ohm set up. Lame. The wire runs look easy as long as the hole is large enough in the hull to add two (4) additional set of speaker wires. They use 14 gauge to wire the speakers stock.

Did the dealer charge you for the change, or did they comp it?

They cover it, or maybe they bill Malibu. I don't know and I don't care. That's the kind of dealer I have. They don't nickel and dime me over petty details like that. They just make me happy and manage the details behind the scenes without bothering me.

Another thing PTM confirmed with the G4 tower are the speakers are wired in a series. So a 2 ohm set up. Lame. The wire runs look easy as long as the hole is large enough in the hull to add two (4) additional set of speaker wires. They use 14 gauge to wire the speakers stock.

If the load is 2 ohms, then two speakers are in parallel--not series. No way the wetsound speakers are 1 ohm loads. Series loads you add (x+y) and parallel loads you do this 1/((1/x)+(1/y)).

They are wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load, not series. Since all the OEM options are 4 ohm speakers on a 2 chnl amp, that is the correct and appropriate configuration. 14ga is also sufficient for the OEM amp option.

They are wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load, not series. Since all the OEM options are 4 ohm speakers on a 2 chnl amp, that is the correct and appropriate configuration. 14ga is also sufficient for the OEM amp option.

So if I have four tower speakers on a G4 (factory Rev 8's) and I want to swap out the RF amp for TWO new amps (i.e. bi-amp the tower), how would you wire it? Would I have to run more wire or completely rewire the tower? Or will factory wire suffuce? Please explain.

So IXFE are you saying you'd want to run each pair of speakers off of its own amp (for illustration, say, a left amp and a right amp)?

Then you'd want to run the speakers in series, presumably bridged to a two channel amp. If you have two four channel amps that you plan to bridge to two channels and then run power to the tower this won't work (i.e. you cannot take four channel amp down to a single +/- speaker wire).

Here's the image I did for fman when he had this question....

bridgedtowers_zps0ab4b5e0.png

So if I have four tower speakers on a G4 (factory Rev 8's) and I want to swap out the RF amp for TWO new amps (i.e. bi-amp the tower), how would you wire it? Would I have to run more wire or completely rewire the tower? Or will factory wire suffuce? Please explain.

Ok, here is what is still unknown. I do not know exactly how the wiring is physically run in the G4, so lets use how its run in a G3. In the G3, there is a single run for each "side" of the tower, to the amp. At the speaker pods, this is all you need for a single pair of speakers. To add a 2nd, the factory just splices in a parallel jumper from pod A to pod B on each side.

To drive 4 pods each with their own amp channel (i.e. 2 amps), you would have to have a 2-conductor for each pod, so that would mean pulling 2 additional 2 conductors or 4 new ones if the OEM wiring was not up to par with the amps new wattage.

Now, if the G4 is wired for 2 pair of speaker each having their own dedicated 2-con, then you only have to make sure the gauge is up to par for the new amp wattage. Just note, that some pre-wired towers ive seen with 4 -2-cons, dont run all the way to the amps. The are spliced together at the deck and only a 2-con for each side makes its way to the amp.