Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

REV 10's and G4

Wake23LSV

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got a clear day to tow my boat home. I decided to have my dealer make the sub box, mount the amps, and mount my 10's. Super happy with all. The sub box is better than I would've done by far, with them using 3/4" "plastic" (not sure what it is exactly) for the build. Regarding the fit of two 10's, I took one of the the 10's off the swivel mount and put it next to the other one. It fit, but both speakers would need to be rotated slightly to accommodate the fit so as not to touch. I would think if they did, one could put a thin piece of rubber tape between if necessary. I would rotate the outer one out a bit and the inner one in a tad to keep them clear of each other. 1 10 and 1 8 on either side would be a perfect fit for sure. As stated before the mounts for the 8's and 10's are the same so no issues there. The wiring is in parallel according to my installer at the dealer, so that would become an issue with bi amping for sure. I LOVE the look with just one set of 10's and head clearance is not an issue for me at all and I'm 6'-1". The inner mounts are over the seats and even standing from sitting I clear the speaker with no worry of hitting on the way up. I absolutely love this tower! Here are some crappy pics for some reference.

post-18191-0-24724500-1421423002_thumb.j

post-18191-0-11357500-1421423068_thumb.j

• Like 2

There is no way to mount speakers vertically on the side of the G4?

I'll need to look, but if so wiring would need to be established. Maybe where the optional rear lights go might me an option...

I wonder how hard it would be to rewire that tower, becasue 2 sets of rev10s in parallel isn't going to be any better than one set alone. I know the G3 tower is a PITA, but doable.

That two pair of paralleled rev10s won't sound good? I ran my old boat that way for two years. Sounded fine. Rewired it last year (a major PITA) so each can had its own run to the amps, and it really sounded no different. Certainly nothing any of my crew noticed anyhow.

I don't have any 8's at my disposal, but I'm guessing the roughly 1" difference gives it plenty of room... The two 10's will mount with the outer set straight, it just pushed the inner 10 in at an angle and touched slightly. I don't want to be the reason you spend some money only to find it doesn't work to your liking, but if it makes you feel better, I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money myself if that's the direction I was going. I am confident in my own discovery that they would fit. If you knew a good cnc guy, I would think you could very easily make a forward to bow offset bracket, then 10's would fit no problem. I moved the inner 10 forward to bow about 1" and that seemed to be the solution. I don't know if that would affect tower down fitment, but from what I saw yesterday with tower down, it shouldn't.

Seems to me like it wouldn't matter if the correct power was applied??

Right amp to run the ohms and watts you need. Not sure I'd run rev10s in parallel, much better to run each speaker at 4ohms and 400+ watts

That two pair of paralleled rev10s won't sound good? I ran my old boat that way for two years. Sounded fine. Rewired it last year (a major PITA) so each can had its own run to the amps, and it really sounded no different. Certainly nothing any of my crew noticed anyhow.

What amp were you running and are you running now, at what watts?

Edited by CJAY

What amp were you running and are you running now, at what watts?

Same power either way on two arc ks600.2's. In one case run in series to a bridged amp, in the other case each can to its own channel. If I'm being honest, in a blind A-B test, I doubt I could've told the difference. Like I said, it certainly wasn't noticeable to my crew.

Same power either way on two arc ks600.2's. In one case run in series to a bridged amp, in the other case each can to its own channel. If I'm being honest, in a blind A-B test, I doubt I could've told the difference. Like I said, it certainly wasn't noticeable to my crew.

How are you getting the same power, at 2ohms in parallel you're only getting 600 watts, and at 4ohms you're getting 400 watts per channel. So at 4 ohms you're getting 400 per speaker, at 2 ohms you're getting 600 to two speakers or 100 less watts per speaker

Lolz 8ohms. Series. Then run to a bridged amp.

I read through your original post too quickly and missed the series part, thought you were still talking running in parallel. So did you just change it at the speaker side? I actually hadn't thought of this, could save some serious time and take one of my syn4s out of the mix, which isn't a bad thing

Lolz 8ohms. Series. Then run to a bridged amp.

But at 8ohms your amps output decreases due to impedance, so you're getting 200 watts per speaker, actually running in parallel would give you 100 watts more than series, and running them bridged and each to their own channel would give 100 watts more than parallel. Maybe it's the tuning that causes the perception of lack of change

Edited by CJAY

So after David came into the other thread and explained I now understand. You're running stereo with a run to each speaker now vs in series bridged before. Each is giving you 200 watts perspeaker. So yeah they sound the same. I'm running bridged to each speaker at 400 watts per speaker. That's why imo running in parallel is no where near as effective.

I still say rewire the tower and run two amps with 400 watts each to really get those rev 10s working, parallel just doesn't do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CJAY

So after David came into the other thread and explained I now understand. You're running stereo with a run to each speaker now vs in series bridged before. Each is giving you 200 watts perspeaker. So yeah they sound the same. I'm running bridged to each speaker at 400 watts per speaker. That's why imo running in parallel is no where near as effective.

I still say rewire the tower and run two amps with 400 watts each to really get those rev 10s working, parallel just doesn't do it

NO. Ks600.2 will put out 400 per can x 2 @ 4 ohms 600x 2 @ 2 0hms or 1200 x 1 bridged at 4. I was running bridged at 8 ohms. Same output as 2 cans at 4 0hms. 800x1=400x2.

Oh and yeah 2 amps for four speakers. Won't work with a bridged 4 channel tho. Only bridged 2 channel.

That's actually the recommended config directly from wet sounds on syn 4 and rev 10s, works great and I get 400 watts bridged from 2 4 channel amps running in bridge mode. Turns it into a 2 channel

https://wetsounds.com/downloads/Wet-Sounds-SYN2-4-User-Manual.pdf

Edited by CJAY