Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

REV 10's and G4

Wake23LSV

My big issue is it just seems too hard to do aftermarket upgrades to, much like the alpha Z. My buddy loves his tige, loves his dealer, loves everything, but thinks tige needs a new tower that gives you some options. The G3 is still the best tower on the market IMO, I'm glad they didn't force everyone to go G4. Looks wise i could get used to it, though still looks like it belongs on a lego boat, but I just don't like the fact that you can't really do much with it aftermarket

Give it a couple months and let the aftermarket companies do their product development and I'm sure there will be plenty of options out there soon.

I just don't see them coming up with much, it's basically the alpha z tower and there hasn't been much they could do for that tower. It's like they copied the alpha Z to make a lot of this tower. the leds, how far it sits back ect ect. I know wetwounds was working on mounts for the alpha z to put 410s on it, but it was going to be ungodly expensive. Just seems like a limited tower to me. I don't tow wiht the tower stored, so basically the only big plus it has is pretty much wasted. G3 is still a much better tower IMO

• 2 weeks later...

I got on here tonight for this very thing. I called wetsounds today and they don't have a mount for rev 10 for g4 yet I was told. Really want the rev 10s with led rings. If order from malibu you can't add led rings in the rev 8s.

Plus it comes with a crap amp. Now I wonder to I want to go back to G3?? Btw does the g4 have surf board pockets?

I just called Wetsounds regarding a mount for the Rev10's and the G4 also, and they told me the std swivel mount will fit the G4 and work for the 10's, but that you couldn't get two pairs in the stock holes due to the added widths. The swivel mounts are the same for the 8's and 10's apparently, so it makes sense that they would work. I'm gonna pull the trigger on a set today. I'll give an update and post my findings when both arrive.

I just called Wetsounds regarding a mount for the Rev10's and the G4 also, and they told me the std swivel mount will fit the G4 and work for the 10's, but that you couldn't get two pairs in the stock holes due to the added widths. The swivel mounts are the same for the 8's and 10's apparently, so it makes sense that they would work. I'm gonna pull the trigger on a set today. I'll give an update and post my findings when both arrive.

seems like it would be easy enough for them to make an offset plate for the inner-most pair to bring them more "in" (towards center) to give clearance for a second pair in the "out" position?

Thats no good for me. I have to have 2 sets. I can't get over the fact that one set looks cheap. Would rather have 2 sets of rev 8s than 1 rev 10

Everyone know's REV's are cheap! But really, I agree two sets look better that one. Do I need two sets for any other reason... no. Maybe a set of 8's would fit next to the 10's. We will see.

I am guessing you ordered tower naked with no speakers? I hated to pay that from Malibu and get that crap RF amp. I did same thing no towers from factory

Ya, I decided I could do much better with the $3600 two sets of 8's would cost. I didn't opt for the factory sub either, since the box and amp are garbage. I made a box for the RF in my '10, and added power to it, and it sounded great, but for the money, I'll do better this time. JL amps all around work well for me. Already have those out in the shop ready for the boat to arrive :thumbup:

Everyone know's REV's are cheap! But really, I agree two sets look better that one. Do I need two sets for any other reason... no. Maybe a set of 8's would fit next to the 10's. We will see.

One pair of 10s will sound better than 2 pairs of 8's they just have a better rounded sound due to their size than the 8s

Looking at the mounting layout of the 8's on the G4, the second pair is offset to the front of the first pair. I wonder if that will allow more side to side room for the possibility of 2 sets of 10's due to the taper of both enclosures?? It just might work. I would then assume that 10's and 8's would definitely work together.

Edited by Wake23LSV

Yeah they are completely different sounding speakers. The 10s have much more mid bass. One set of 10s, properly powered, is going to be easily heard from more than 75 feet out.

Man this tower reminds me more and more of the alpha z tige tower, though 2 pairs of rev 10s fit that tower( though they really eat up the head room). Thank god Malibu offered both towers as an option, the G3 is the best tower on the market, IMO. Liking the G4 less and less the more I see it in person and see where it's hung up

Maybe, maybe not. Change for changes sake isn't a good business move, also in the past they just changed the tower, this time they offered both while making subtle changes tot he G3. They wouldn't be the first to run multiple tower options going forward, both MC and Tige do this, they also wouldn't be the first to come out the latest and greats flop of a new tower, see the MC power tower

They also made it seem like the 2014 dash was the next great thing and that also flopped

Edited by CJAY

It's all personal preference I guess. I for one have no regrets. I like the look, but also wanted my boat to look as current as possible. I think that will be a resale plus when that day comes. I also am not in need of whatever it is that seems to be the "lack of options" hold up for some. If I can get the tower speakers that I want on, I'm good. I don't see it being an issue. No matter what, aftermarket companies will make mounts and other options for this tower to satisfy the masses, guaranteed.

Outside of my opinion on the G4, I think one set of rev10s will not only work very well, but also look better. Key reason is the head room that two will eat up. If you run either a syn4 or sd6, giving them between 400watts and 525watts a piece you won't be disappointed in how they sound nor their volume to the rider

• Like 2

G4 is made by PTM, G3 is made by Malibu.

I think its why G4 is so expensive, they are having to pay outside company for build, they pass that cost to you.

If they were going to dump G3, I bet it would be with an in-house built tower.

Well when I order a week ago wetsounds told me the rev 10s would not work. I called back 2 days later they told me same thing. That will piss me off if ordered 8s and 10s will fit

If one pair of 8s will, then obviously one pair of 10s will... they use the same mount. Sounds like the issue is two pair (i.e. factory configuration) in that the mount spacing is too close. So it could be true that 10s work (one pair) and don't work (two pair).

yes want to pair for sure

Two pair are nice, but really one pair of 10s more than does the job. I ran one pair for a couple years, and I can't honestly say I'd go two pair again for the little increase I got in return. At a certain point it's just too loud to enjoy.

Well when I order a week ago wetsounds told me the rev 10s would not work. I called back 2 days later they told me same thing. That will piss me off if ordered 8s and 10s will fit

The rep I talked to said the swivel mounts are what are used by BU, and these same mounts for the 8's and 10's are the same. I'm rolling the 10's.