Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone own a boat in Ferguson?

saidainc

Ultimately, Micheal Brown is dead because he was stupid. I'm not a betting man but I'll just assume that if I did what he did I'd be dead too

I absolutely disagree that poor is poor but even if a black woman makes it to the level you are at through hard work she still makes 50% of what you make. Coincidence or institutional racism?

EarningsRatio_fig.4.jpg

Doc,

Do women doctors you know make less than you do?

I would answer that women doctors in my organization make exactly what I make per unit of work produced. However, I am positive that the women doctors in my area make less overall than I do. At the end of the day, when someone calls with a terrible backache or thinks they have a pneumonia, the female docs in my area go home, most of the men say work them in at the end of the schedule. Are you just poking people with a stick to see if we will bite? Because women docs make less than men docs does not make it discrimination.

Does a female clerk at 7-11 make less than a male? In all seriousness, what job is out there where you can pay a woman less than a man?

Edited by TallRedRider

I do not see any controversy with Michael Brown. You punch a cop in the face, it won't turn out well for you.

Initial witness reports talked of him being shot in the back, but the autopsy proved otherwise. Those initial witness reports were clearly folks who had alternative motives.

Doc,

Do women doctors you know make less than you do?

I would answer that women doctors in my organization make exactly what I make per unit of work produced. However, I am positive that the women doctors in my area make less overall than I do. At the end of the day, when someone calls with a terrible backache or thinks they have a pneumonia, the female docs in my area go home, most of the men say work them in at the end of the schedule. Are you just poking people with a stick to see if we will bite? Because women docs make less than men docs does not make it discrimination.

Does a female clerk at 7-11 make less than a male? In all seriousness, what job is out there where you can pay a woman less than a man?

So you are saying that women make the same as men on average? There are thousands of statistics out there to prove that is absolutely incorrect. It is a proven fact that women and minorities make less for the same job. Period.

As for my statement, I was not trying to incite an argument. I was making a point. My point is that society is not equal. Just because you grow up poor doesn't mean you have the same opportunities as every one else. Being black automatically puts you at a disadvantage in our society.

Also, I'm not saying Brown was right or wrong. I don't know. However, before you vilify the guy/kid/whatever and the people that were rioting (which were a minority by the way), try to understand why they are doing it. Blaming them for being "hood rats" solves nothing. It simply perpetuates both sides hating each other. Perhaps if these "hood rats" had the same opportunities that you and I had, they wouldn't be hood rats. The problem is not with the people, it is the community they live in.

nd

So you are saying that women make the same as men on average? There are thousands of statistics out there to prove that is absolutely incorrect. It is a proven fact that women and minorities make less for the same job. Period.

As for my statement, I was not trying to incite an argument. I was making a point. My point is that society is not equal. Just because you grow up poor doesn't mean you have the same opportunities as every one else. Being black automatically puts you at a disadvantage in our society.

Also, I'm not saying Brown was right or wrong. I don't know. However, before you vilify the guy/kid/whatever and the people that were rioting (which were a minority by the way), try to understand why they are doing it. Blaming them for being "hood rats" solves nothing. It simply perpetuates both sides hating each other. Perhaps if these "hood rats" had the same opportunities that you and I had, they wouldn't be hood rats. The problem is not with the people, it is the community they live in.

What the chart doesnt factor in Doc or what you fail to cite that it does not account for differences in occupations, positions, education, job tenure, or hours worked per week. When all these relevant factors are taken into consideration, the wage gap narrows to about five cents

nd

What the chart doesnt factor in Doc or what you fail to cite that it does not account for differences in occupations, positions, education, job tenure, or hours worked per week. When all these relevant factors are taken into consideration, the wage gap narrows to about five cents

I'd like to see some data to prove that. I'm always willing to have an open and honest discussion based on facts

Doc as much as I share your political persuasion, looting is just plain criminal and cannot be justified. This was no marxist overthrow of the czar, it was people engaging in opportunistic criminal behavior.

And as to your point about being black being a disadvantage in our society, one need only look to the numerous studies which show that you are more likely to be pulled over if a person of color and more likely to be searched if you are pulled over. Sure white folks can start just as poor, but they can frequently "unpoor" themselves. It's pretty hard to "unblack" yourself (as much as Michael Jackson tried).

I do not see any controversy with Michael Brown. You punch a cop in the face, it won't turn out well for you.

Initial witness reports talked of him being shot in the back, but the autopsy proved otherwise. Those initial witness reports were clearly folks who had alternative motives.

This.

One witness went as far as to go on the radio and do an interview stating he had his hands up palms out...FBI wants to do an interview and he declines. There were no cross examinations done on witnesses which is surprising to me. Out of all the witnesses that came forward I wonder how many would have gone under oath and testified. One other thing. Witnesses stories changed as evidence came out. Wilson's story stayed rock solid the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc as much as I share your political persuasion, looting is just plain criminal and cannot be justified. This was no marxist overthrow of the czar, it was people engaging in opportunistic criminal behavior.

And as to your point about being black being a disadvantage in our society, one need only look to the numerous studies which show that you are more likely to be pulled over if a person of color and more likely to be searched if you are pulled over. Sure white folks can start just as poor, but they can frequently "unpoor" themselves. It's pretty hard to "unblack" yourself (as much as Michael Jackson tried).

I never justified it nor did I say it was ok. Obviously it is criminal. However calling someone a hood rat not only makes one look stupid it perpetuates prejudism. This solves nothing. The looting is a manifestation of a deeper issue. Should it be ignored? Absolutely not.

It also shouldn't be labeled "typical hood rat behavior"

Edited by DocPhil

If the protesters loot, destroy, and burn, they are perpetuating justification for other people to think of them as "hood rats". The news clips showed both white and black, male and female "hood rats" doing those things.

Edited by BillFooter

1. Women don't make as much as men because they should be in the kitchen making sammiches for the men. They're lucky we let them wear shoes. Next thing you know they're going to want to vote or something silly like that.

2. If a 6'4" 280lb scary motherf***** punched me, tried to steal my gun, and charged at me - I'd shoot him too. Black, white, Asian, Canadian.. Doesn't matter. That's not a racial issue to me, that's survival.

3. Some people turn everything into a race issue. Does racism exist? Hell yeah it does. Does it make life more difficult for those that have to battle it every day? Hell yeah it does. Is it an excuse to go batnuts crazy and loot/destroy/burn everything in sight? No.

4. I have minority friends who are more financially successful than I am. Oral surgeons. Professionals that have done well in the stock market. Even college professors and lawyers. They were given the same opportunities as the "hood rat" that sat next to them in science class that now has three drug possession charges and is going to prison for a very long time. (True story, btw)

5. I didn't grow up with money either when I was young. We were poor, by most people's standards. My dad was getting his MBA and then his phd immediately afterwards. We lived in a one room guest house. My sister and I slept on pallets on the floor of the single car garage that was sealed off. I never knew we were THAT poor, because my parents took the time to teach me what love and respect were, spent time together with us as a family, and taught us that hard work DOES pay off, and money doesn't make you or break you as a person. My dad, coincidently, just retired in June from a long, distinguished career in higher education. He's very well published and has a few awards under his belt. And his pool house is about as big as the one bedroom guest house we lived in while he was making every effort to better himself and put our family in a better situation.

So...what exactly has gone wrong with the black communities? What I know now is morals, values, education, family structure, careers, neighborhoods are all underdeveloped....but why?

Ignored? No for sure not. The pics seem to depict young males with apparently not much to lose. Certainly evidence of a gap between the haves and the have nots. People with nothing to lose are wild cards to social order. Getting those guys on the program (jobs, wives, kids, soccer, minivans) would be good for them and for the rest of us.

• Like 3

Women who do the same exact work as men get paid the same in the United states. I think you have been duped. My Hispanic female medical assistant gets paid the same as the white ones. And in your office, school, and hospital?

Seriously, name me one job where women get paid less per hour? Any company that does this gets sued for discrimination.

Black female doctors get paid the same as white male doctors. Hispanic female clerks at 7-11 get paid the same as their white male counterparts. This supposed huge gap is not fact. Because one of my female colleagues gets paid less than I do is a huge misrepresenation of the facts. We don't do the same work, and to just add up our incomes and cry discrimination is dishonest, which is what the vast majority of those 'thousands of statistics' are about.

As far as the topic of Ferguson....Uninvolved fathers and lower levels of education are huge roadblocks to getting out of poverty, and this is true independent of color.

I predict this thread will get shut down by Friday.

The Family structure for blacks was very strong during the civil rights movement. Now it consist of single mothers raising kids. The problems have to start somewhere around there.

Browns parents are adult hood rats that raised a very bad hood rat. All of it a product of their environment.

Women who do the same exact work as men get paid the same in the United states. I think you have been duped. My Hispanic female medical assistant gets paid the same as the white ones. And in your office, school, and hospital?

Seriously, name me one job where women get paid less per hour? Any company that does this gets sued for discrimination.

Black female doctors get paid the same as white male doctors. Hispanic female clerks at 7-11 get paid the same as their white male counterparts. This supposed huge gap is not fact. Because one of my female colleagues gets paid less than I do is a huge misrepresenation of the facts. We don't do the same work, and to just add up our incomes and cry discrimination is dishonest, which is what the vast majority of those 'thousands of statistics' are about.

As far as the topic of Ferguson....Uninvolved fathers and lower levels of education are huge roadblocks to getting out of poverty, and this is true independent of color.

I predict this thread will get shut down by Friday.

It's true. Ish.

We still expect women to be responsible for responsibilities at home that men are not, and women who go for the fullest in their career "sacrifice" family. You ever hear that about a male CEO? That he got there at the "expense" of family? Or that he's a provider, a breadwinner?

Totally disingenuous to deny that there is a social double standard for women to advance professionally. Sure, we pay them the same starting wage, but upper ranks continue to be male dominated.

I'm no angel in this regard... My smarter than me wife has worked part time for years so she could manage the kids while I work.

It just sucks that there has to even BE anything called "race relations."

The ghetto is the same thing as the trailer park as far as I'm concerned. Uneducated white trash flying rebel flags raising 6 unbathed kids in a single wide while the baby daddy does a 3 year stint for being popped selling meth is just as distasteful to me as if they were black, the trailer was public housing and the baby daddy was slinging crack instead of meth.

Failure to put an importance on eduction and tolerance is the downfall of any group in society, regardless of race.

I'm not only talking about book smarts, either. There's more than one type of education in this world available to raise your standards of living.