Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shawndoggy '14 LSV Stereo Build

shawndoggy

I did get one bad pic of the completed sub install (with new trim panel). Still needs a trim ring for sub and port, but it's functional and installed at this point.

BB3EE654-1941-4B74-90C1-3782A85FF6B3_zps

• Like 2

Looking good! When are some water pics coming?

How is pyramid this time of year?

pryramid is still cold. Probably under 60. I'm looking to get out to bullards soon. Maybe next weekend if the weather holds.

Nice, I passed on Bullards last week because it never really warmed up down here. Weather is looking better this week, infact 88 here on Friday...hopefully it will start warming Bullards. Last spring I went there in April and it was 62 degrees, darn cold. Epic riding conditions, but geeze that water hit you hard. We have 68 degree water now and it's tolerable with a shortie.

As always Shawn, look great... can you post up some pics of the HSE install, I still have to do mine. Not sure how involved this will be, hopefully nothing too crazy. Definitely missing the HSE on the water.

So I still need to take pics, but the hse is in and working perfectly.

I used a DEI tach signal generator like this one: http://www.amazon.com/DIRECTED-ELECTRONICS-Alternator-Detector-Generator/dp/B00INR92P6

It just gets zip tied to the output wire from the alternator. Then you run power, ground, and the signal wire. I used three conductor bilge wire. Tied in power and ground from my blue sea fuse box under the helm, and then ran the signal to the HSE. At the signal generator, there are some different wires to tie together depending on how many cylinders the engine is. For our boats, tie orange and white together.

HSE is in and working just right.

Got a pic of the side wall trim panel. Looks like this is an LSV specific piece? Anyhow, I've put a few holes in it, obviously:

38C3B7FD-B16B-4F4C-A54B-5CE03788E06C_zps

Originally I was going to let the stereo turn off and on with my main power switch. This worked as intended, but if I did not turn the stereo off at the Rockford remote on the dash before powering down the switch, I'd get a nasty turn off thump from the sub, because the sub amp and the head unit would power down at exactly the same time. With the switch, the HU powers down and just turns the amps off via the remote wire, without removing power to the amps. Turning off the main battery switch does still cut off power to the amps.

The voltage gauge reads from the stereo battery bank, so I get a visual indication of the status of the bank, and also whether the batteries are combined or separated via the blue sea add a battery switch. Not pictured is a blue LED strip under the dash which also comes on when the batteries are combined and turns off when they are separated.

And YES, I know my two heater vents are not aligned on the same vertical plane. Shame shame shame on me.

• 3 weeks later...

sometimes I shouldn't underestimate my own stupidity. I measured my 4" precision port using the calculator on their website. But I neglected to read the fine print about the flares constituting 6" of the port length on a 4" round port. So like um DUH, when I remove 6" of length from my port I like my sub output a lot better.

• Like 2

Great work Shawnaconda! Question, I have the ws bt and there is a noticable difference between bt and usb sound quality. For example, the usb is louder overall and I'm still getting a bit of background noise through speakers. Do you think the exile bt will perform better for me as far as sound loudness?

Great work Shawnaconda! Question, I have the ws bt and there is a noticable difference between bt and usb sound quality. For example, the usb is louder overall and I'm still getting a bit of background noise through speakers. Do you think the exile bt will perform better for me as far as sound loudness?

That is really really hard to say. In an 07 you have a traditional head unit, right? how does the bluetooth unit interface with the headunit?

Funny that this is coming around again.

I mentioned this same thing a few years ago and got torched by everyone about how there is no possible way that 2 sets of Rev's could possibly be deafening for the passengers in the boat ! How loud is just loud and blah blah blah...... Rev's are the best sounding speaker ever!

I personally find them and almost ALL horn based speakers unpleasant for anyone in the boat.

Good to know I'm not crazy.

• Like 2

I mentioned this same thing a few years ago and got torched by everyone about how there is no possible way that 2 sets of Rev's could possibly be deafening for the passengers in the boat ! How loud is just loud and blah blah blah...... Rev's are the best sounding speaker ever!

I personally find them and almost ALL horn based speakers unpleasant for anyone in the boat.

I'm not allowed to use the Rev 10's with the wife in the boat for the most part, she's got overly sensitive ears I think though.

I wouldn't say they are "unpleasant" (at least not in the pro60 sense). Just soooooo loud. Which they were in my old boat too. But the speakers were mounted higher and on a tower that was farther back in the cabin. It's the forward arching tower and low mounting position that are problematic.

Specifically that lower set. Your face is essentially right in a 10 inch speaker when you sit by the tower base. Either way I love them! We only blast them to "face melt" mode under way, or if we are getting requests from across the cove :biggrin:

Edited by saxton15
  • Like 1

I'm not allowed to use the Rev 10's with the wife in the boat for the most part, she's got overly sensitive ears I think though.

In my experience, all women have overly sensitive ears!!!!

• Like 2

I am with you.

4 SXT9Q. Been on a boat with pro 60s and couldn't wait to get off that boat. The newer revs are certainly better but can still reach an uncomfortable level even for my ears.

This is not earthshattering news here!!!!

Pull a pair off and toss them on the classifieds shawndoggy. I have always felt that one pair was PLENTY and if you are not looking to blast the heck out of them, you can set your crossover a little lower and enjoy the mid bass that the speaker offers.

4 SXT9Q. Been on a boat with pro 60s and couldn't wait to get off that boat. The newer revs are certainly better but can still reach an uncomfortable level even for my ears.

That's what I meant (not xm9s duh). Interesting it's not an issue with those... I always figured the "annoying/uncomfortable" aspect was just having a big old well powered speaker at head level? But maybe not.

I'm definitely intrigued by the idea of running the second set high on the hoop like baws does rather than that low position.

I'm definitely intrigued by the idea of running the second set high on the hoop like baws does rather than that low position.

Is that an option to run in tandem with a bimini? Or would you have to modify the bimini or go topless all the time?