Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shawndoggy '14 LSV Stereo Build

shawndoggy

I would build a new kick panel about 3" -4" taller so it covers the top of the box and your port cutout is a complete circle.

Buzz out some trim circles for the port and the sub. Cover them in matching carpet and hit them with a few brads or staples in place. It will look way more finished off.

Edited by Bawshogg

Since you are going to carpet over the faceplate, use flat L-brackets for connecting the return piece to the kick plate and use 3/8 plywood. Cut the angles to look good with the fiberglass on the boat. Coat the plywood with your bedliner spray before carpeting.

Baws will probably recommend 1/4" plywood as sufficient, and maybe it is...

Edited by Cory

As always Shawn, look great... can you post up some pics of the HSE install, I still have to do mine. Not sure how involved this will be, hopefully nothing too crazy. Definitely missing the HSE on the water.

Buzz out some trim circles for the port and the sub. Cover them in matching carpet and hit them with a few brads or staples in place. It will look way more finished off.

Can you elaborate? The issue for me is that the port and sub are very close together. As you can see with making the port and sub hole on the factory trim panel, there's only about 3/8" of material between the two circles. Pretty hard to wrap that little piece. Any thoughts on just bringing the two circles together to make a "tipped over snowman" sort of hole (which I could carpet wrap pretty easy I think?)?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks sick!

Question - Do you guys really listen to satellite radio? I have always found it really compressed sounding, ok for casual in the truck listening but not sure it would sound great in a rocking boat stereo. Maybe it depends a lot on the receiver?

Looks sick!

Question - Do you guys really listen to satellite radio? I have always found it really compressed sounding, ok for casual in the truck listening but not sure it would sound great in a rocking boat stereo. Maybe it depends a lot on the receiver?

no it totally sounds like arse. But the lakes I go to have little to no FM or cell reception, so when the same old playlist fails, or the kids need to hear "Fancy" four times an hour, it's sometimes nice to leave the DJ'ing to the DJs. I just sign up for the summer months and terminate in October.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2

OK so I got everything substantially in and working. I'm sure I will have a bit of tuning to do before I'm happy, but for now the stereo fires up, eq works, sub does it's thing.

Will get some pics once I do my detail.

Big disappointment yesterday was that my WW-BT-VC was one of the worst sounding bluetooth units I've ever had. static, noise, distortion, this thing had it all. I spent several hours trying to get it right, and finally gave up. I tried powering it in common with the EQ, tried powering direct from my stereo battery. I tried a slew of different cables. I tried sending it to my HSE and then my EQ. I tried straight into the EQ. I really tried every possible combination, and they all had noise. Then just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I tried my Miccus Home RTX. Instantly the sound quality was there. Low noise floor, great sound quality, no distortion, no static. Downside of this unit appears to be that I will need to manually turn it on when I turn the battery switch on for the day (my battery switch is off when boat is put away). That's a little annoying but oh well, small price to pay for better sound quality. Once I turn the miccus unit on, it will stay connected for the day (or until I turn the battery switch to off).

I am running the black box through an arc audio ALD before the EQ. sound quality is very good, at least on the trailer.

For those of you running sat radio, a question: my RFX5000 recognizes the sat unit and I get the "call [1-800 number]" message on the Rockford remote screen on the dash. But I don't hear anything. Is that normal? Do I really need to activate the unit before the RFX5000 will play? With past sat radio installations I've always gotten the sample channel on an unactivated tuner.

This one's for Cory... I got the hose fitting for the flush pro installed. I chose to put it opposite the surfgate horn, right above the grab handle. Time will tell for sure but I like the location. It is inside of the engine compartment, so no worries about the flush hose taking up valuable cubic inches in the locker.

IMG_5177_zpsnnr9fphl.jpg

• Like 3

Shawndoggy,

Shoot me an email [email protected] and I will send you another BT-VC. That doesn't sound right. Have not heard of any complaints on the SQ of the BT on that unit. Want to make sure something else isn't going on. We have sold a LOT of those units. And everyone loves them. All of our dealer displays have them. I am running one on my rat rod as the main source direct to a sinister amp and it is loud and clear.

Tim

Wet Sounds

Edited by wetsounds1
  • Like 3