Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does a K&N cold air intake really help HP/torque on stock engine?

Fman

Thanks for all the info, glad I did not waist $150 on a CAI. I'm going to pick up the k&n for stock airbox and call it good. My interest in adding airfilter was extra hp and some torque for towing, but it sounds like the CAI really would have no positive affect on this other than make my engine louder which would have been a bummer.

Edited by Fman

Do you see gains at partial throttle or just at wide open?

The theory I recall was two fold. Any thing to reduce the air restriction will obviously improve performance. OEM purposely go a little restrictive to improve mpg. The second fold, could be all marketing hype, but tried to explain why 1 CAI was better than another, assuming same filter. It dealt with the intake pipe, it's length, inner diameter, and how close to the outside air and away from the engine it was. Supposedly the length played a decent factor because it could be tuned so that the air coming in would reach ideal velocity at the same rpm the engine hits max hp. So theoreticaly with the right tuned tube, you'd get more air into the cylinder than with the intake completely removed. of course your injectors would have to be able to keep up with the extra air flow.

edit: it's been 9 years since I read the article about the CAI tests, but this may be the article http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/aftermarket-parts/0305-impp-acura-rsx-type-s/#__federated=1

edit: colder air = denser air = better performance. New intake should improve flow, if it can also get to colder air, ideal.

Edited by augie09

Do you see gains at partial throttle or just at wide open?

Sorry, all I've ever done is WOT on Dyno but it was across the whole RPM range. Now I would say yes that is why I see a increase in MPG on long trips and towing. It maybe the ride is a little leaner so you see a hp gain in the MPG. As oldjeep said you need a tune after to get best results but again the computer should be able to make them small of corrections.

Cool read I have the Moroso CAI

http://www.corral.net/tech/powerplant/moroso/moroso.html

10570526_10204118862224526_1662968303098

Edited by Bradley Thornton
  • Like 1

Sorry, all I've ever done is WOT on Dyno but it was across the whole RPM range. Now I would say yes that is why I see a increase in MPG on long trips and towing. It maybe the ride is a little leaner so you see a hp gain in the MPG. As oldjeep said you need a tune after to get best results but again the computer should be able to make them small of corrections.

Cool read I have the Moroso CAI

http://www.corral.net/tech/powerplant/moroso/moroso.html

10570526_10204118862224526_1662968303098

You need boost in your life.

I put a K&N cold air intake system on my hemi. At teh time I put it on I was convinced I got a few mpgs on the highway and sounds great under acceleration. The cylinder deactivation however changes the pitch of the whistle so that is a little annoying but not bad. Just turn the radio up.

You need boost in your life.

This is a 93 cobra so I want to keep it looking stock as possible it has a Nitrous plate between the upper and lower got 440hp and 511tq on a 125 shot out of it. But I plan on getting a 87-93 coupe 5 speed and adding a turbo to it. Thats about 2-3 year out.

• Like 1

I'm always skeptical of things like this. If OEM's will go to all the expense of adding something like cylinder deactivation to an engine to eek out 1-2mpg, they are sure not going to leave something so simple/cheap on table (increasing mpg by reshaping the air intake and using a different filter).

I think CAIs are mostly for looks and a relatively cheap thing someone can add to their car just for the sake of it. Better than sticking fake vents on the fender or huge wings on the trunk. Whenever I see a heavily modified four banger I think of my redneck buddy. He bought an old Trans Am for song, changed the rear end gears and had a pretty fast car. I did have a turbo saab. It was already modded with an intake, blow off valve and hillbilly exhaust. Sounded tough and it was pretty quick for what it was

I could see upgrading the intake if you had somehow made a real increase in airflow some other way, like adding forced induction. That makes sense to me

• 2 weeks later...

Slight variation on the theme: it has been my perception (based upon zero facts) that engines in general really like really cold air better than warm/hot air. Why is that?

Because cold air is denser, so for a given volume of air you can apply more fuel and get more power.

Because cold air is denser, so for a given volume of air you can apply more fuel and get more power.

I'll but that. I know two things in my extensive research: 1) At -30F my snowmobile is darned hard to start 2) Once running and warmed up it runs like a banshee. Yeehaa!

H Ecoboost upgrade: air intake, exhaust, and a chip/tuner cuts 4 seconds off the 100 mph dash.

So at some level the cold air intake must help. http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/f150-ecoboost.html

2012 stock is 365 hp/415 lbs torque, with mods 415hp/520 torque

Have a guy local with that truck running low 11s 1/4mile. Can't wait to see what the Ecoboost mustang is going to be running. Thinking mid 10s on a Daily Driver that is fast. both truck and car.