Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does a K&N cold air intake really help HP/torque on stock engine?

Fman

I am tuning up my sequoia and it needs a new air filter. I am looking at either replacing with a K&N in the factory box, or adding a cold air intake replacing the entire air filter intake system. The cold air intake is showing 13-15 HP gain with 13 ft lbs torque increase? Is this total smoke and mirrors? I can replace the factory filter with a K&N for $46. The cold air intake spectrum system is $149 which appears to be a K&N knock off, the K&N system is about $300, they look pretty identical. I do not want to waist any money on something that will really do nothing. My sequoia engine is completely bone stock. Thoughts?

Spectrum cold air intake:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-9961/reviews/

K&N oem replacement filter:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-33-2144/overview/year/2004/make/toyota/model/sequoia

I really looked into doing a CAI, opening up the exhaust and a custom ECM EFI live tune.

Was looking at about 1000 to 1250 depending on what components I went with.

Decided against all of it especially doing a tune on the engine and tranny. Spoke with a lot of GM tranny guys and the were very negative about increased line pressure blowing O rings over time.

Now do all that above, long tube headers and a new cam... No we are some some HP and Torque gains.

A CAI alone won't do anything, you need a good tune if you decide to go that route.

Get a dry filter if you are going to replace, look at air aid.

Too much oil in k and n filter can screw with airflow monitoring device

This is true but the trick is not to over oil it.

I am not much of a mechanic, but it seems that I drive around with the throttle mostly closed, to partly open. So more air at 20% throttle is still just 20% throttle, if that's the case then the only time I might get more air is at WFO throttle?

When I installed a CAI on my Avalanche, it got like 2 or 3 mpg worse mileage than without it. Maybe thats because I couldn't drive it without constantly stickin my foot in it. Or ??

I ended up leaving the tube, but putting the factory box back in & putting a cleanable K&N filter element in it. Mileage went back up, noise still up, got rid of a lot of extra BS in the engine compartment. Seemed like the best of both worlds.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Depending on how its built CAIs can be worse than factory intakes. I have seen people take factory intakes (with fresh air vents) off and replace them with intakes that pull air from under the hood. Stooooopid.

My feeling is that you won't see any gains (even a good one) unless it is part of a complete package and that includes a custom tune.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
  • Like 2

I am not much of a mechanic, but it seems that I drive around with the throttle mostly closed, to partly open. So more air at 20% throttle is still just 20% throttle, if that's the case then the only time I might get more air is at WFO throttle?

You can get a little better MPG out of the ride when you are on long trips. The main reason I buy K&N I keep my cars for a long time and if you do that you can save money in the long run on filters and MPG.

On a daily driver I would never add a CAI on my race car it was only for about 4hp over just adding a K&N in the stock box now I added the CAI because when I'm on the kit thats a different story.

Think of it like this

K&N worth 8hp average and No noise

CAI worth an extra 4hp over the K&N and noisy harder to clean and cost 3x as much.

If it were possible to increase hp and mpg with a filter change-with no adverse effects manufacturers would be all over it.

Disagree they make more off sell filters when you show up for a oil change. Thats why most performance cars you can buy a performance package with them.

Disagree they make more off sell filters when you show up for a oil change. Thats why most performance cars you can buy a performance package with them.

Right. They spend millions trying to meet cafe standards when a k&n could do it. If you want the same perf increase and filtering decrease as a k&n just jam a screwdriver through your stock filter a couple dozen times.

• Like 2

Right. They spend millions trying to meet cafe standards when a k&n could do it. If you want the same perf increase and filtering decrease as a k&n just jam a screwdriver through your stock filter a couple dozen times.

I will just agree to disagree. I have dynoed many cars and a K&N increase HP and seen a increase in MPG when going on long trips not in town.

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#1

I think it depends on your current engine, air intake and tune. I put a CAI on my RSX-S, after researching every CAI on the market, reviews and 3rd party dyno results. In the 3rd party results, some CAI only got 1-2 whp increase, but mine got 13 whp. With an engine reflash, supposedly 20 more. I soon after removed my manifold and cat for a true 4-2-1 race header. That helped to! So did the stiffer engine mounts, and the rear stabilizer bar, and the coil overs, and the short throw shifter. I stopped before I got to the internals. But did it all my myself, was a lot of fun and super easy and cheap on a 4 banger. did it to learn, not to be a ricer.

• Like 2