Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Idling boat Question

kx250frider617

Are there any negatives to idling my boat for about 4 hours while cruising in the harbor? Im planning on watching the christmas boat parade here in Newport, CA this year with the new boat. It's a 12' Axis a22 with the LS3 salt water series. I just feel like my boat doesn't like to idle haha and all it wants to do is be pushed WOT haha, but idles fine btw. So basically, my question is, would it be bad to drive around at idle speed for about 3-4 hours and not accelerate above that?

Im definitely decorating the boat too, probably lining the rub rail with some christmas lights along with the tower too, then just turn on my interior lights and under water lights. Im pretty excited, first time that the heater will be a necessity.

Wouldn't expect much, if any heat at idle. Besides that, no problem operating at low rpm. We spent many hours running around at 3-4 mph this summer during the eternal high water, no wake restrictions.

The heater in my closed cooled LS3 worked awesome at idle. Actually one of the best parts of a semi closed cooled motor

Ah. Doesn't work worth a crap in my open system.

If you route the heater lines correctly, it will work just fine at idle. Mine does, so does my buddy's boat. You have to route your return line to the hose BEFORE the impeller. It sucks water through your heater at idle. Love it.

Not sure how the OEM system is plumbed but I have good heat at idle with one of these installed before the raw water pump.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H424

For heat for several minutes after the boat is shut down you'll want one of these.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=3260

It never fails that the kids need a nap by the time we hit the water. We idle around an average of 3 hours about every time we go out, you'll be fine.