Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone towed with the ram 1500 ecodiesel

wheelman

MotorTrends 1 year wrap up with the Hemi was about 16 MPG (one MPG higher than the EcoBoost).

Diesels CONSISTENTLY meet or exceed EPA ratings in real world driving. Look at anything that is rated - BMW, Mercedes, VW, etc, they all are examples of this. I would be willing to be that the real delta between Hemi/competitive engines and the EcoDiesel will be 10 MPG.

All diesels (with probably the exception of the 6.0) hold their value better than their gasser siblings. I am considering a Cayenne right now, and the difference in pricing a few year old diesel vs gas is significant. From what I have seen, same is true everywhere else - including the older Liberty and Grand Cherokee diesels.

And, as has been said, any boating forum is proof that most people buy on emotion, not logic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am a diesel convert and would never go back. The off idle power and much lower fuel consumption are enough of a reason for me. In Au diesels outsell petrol at 2:1. The resale on a diesel is also much better. The only reason it is still a contest in the US is because of the ridiculously low price of fuel. Buy the diesel, it's a good thing.

I used to wonder WhoTF cares about diesel exhaust braking for most folks, other than being loud and obnoxious.... then I drove a new 29,000lb loaded diesel moving truck this summer towing my 9,000lb wakeboat thru the interstate passes near Charleston WV. Holy crap..... 5 mile long grades of near 5%. Smoked the brakes white smoke all the way down the otherside, so much smoke from the airbrakes 500ft behind me huge white cloud obstructed the entire highway. I was scared as hell.

Exhaust brakes are super important if you tow heavy and hit steep grades.

• Like 2

I used to wonder WhoTF cares about diesel exhaust braking for most folks, other than being loud and obnoxious.... then I drove a new 29,000lb loaded diesel moving truck this summer towing my 9,000lb wakeboat thru the interstate passes near Charleston WV. Holy crap..... 5 mile long grades of near 5%. Smoked the brakes white smoke all the way down the otherside, so much smoke from the airbrakes 500ft behind me huge white cloud obstructed the entire highway. I was scared as hell.

Downshifting helps too

With only my boat i can go down most grades and seldom touch the brakes.

Well that's one data point. And my experience is that most truck owners tend to exaggerate a bit eh?

But even so I am sure they are great trucks. However I would never save money ( speaking only from my perspective) switching rigs to get a few more miles per gallon. For other people it might be worth it sure.

I could see it if: Your current rig is a POS that breaks down all the time and is costing you a lot of money and down time and you aren't capable or willing to invest the money to fix it. Thats about the only way I see going to a new vehicle saving you money.

Now if you want it because YOU WANT IT then sure by all means upgrade. But most likely you aren't saving any money.

I wouldn't trust one data point either, weather, driving conditions, heavy right foot all take a toll. However, I would encourage anyone to use Fuelly for validation, it shows 117 of these trucks averaged at 23.2

However, I'm just an ecodiesel fanboy sticking up for my truck :)

• Like 4

No worries there. Don't get me wrong, I am not argueing (not even a little bit) that these are bad trucks. In fact I would trade my Titan straight across for one no problem.

The only point I am trying to make is from a financial standpoint alone its not worth going with this, ecoboost, or the new diesel Titan. Except for a few special circumstances that is.

Oh, and the reason I feel the need to point that out is all the times I hear, "This thing saves me so much money in gas."

But really I think it is an awesome truck and I would definitely consider them if I was shopping.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

LBJ,

A lot of us can talk ourselves into anything. Which is why 100k wake boats are a perfectly good idea. Same thing with trucks. At today's gas vs diesel prices where i am. It is a complete wash until you drive more than 1200 mi per month. More than that and the diesel saves money. Also where i am gas has went down 70 cents diesel only 30. So if gas goes back up our diesel falls the gap widens. End of the day we buy them because we want them. In the Cherokee it absolutely saves me money because the mpg gap is bigger, and we drive 2500 miles a month.

A Hemi Cherokee would cost 450/mo in fuel. The ED is about $325 for the same distances. Gas is 2.69 diesel is 3.39.

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 1

No worries there. Don't get me wrong, I am not argueing (not even a little bit) that these are bad trucks. In fact I would trade my Titan straight across for one no problem.

The only point I am trying to make is from a financial standpoint alone its not worth going with this, ecoboost, or the new diesel Titan. Except for a few special circumstances that is.

Oh, and the reason I feel the need to point that out is all the times I hear, "This thing saves me so much money in gas."

But really I think it is an awesome truck and I would definitely consider them if I was shopping.

I agree totally. My wife sometimes mumbles about trading in for a new hybrid or turbo diesel car that gets better mileage. The new car would cost us at least 15K more than what she is driving now. When I do the math, no way it makes sense. We would have to drive 450,000 miles before we could recoup the money lost by buying a new car. And at that point, we break even.

NYRyan is going to have me buying a new truck before you know it. I do like how that Dodge already has a spray in bedliner. My local Dodge dealership does that too, and it makes me feel like it will be one less thing to have to do to a new truck.

You know he has me thinking too. My next truck might be something like that. Why not I love to customize stuff and make it my own. Do custom wheels and tires, stereo etc and do it cheaper then buying a Loaded truck. There is the resale argument I suppose.....

You know he has me thinking too. My next truck might be something like that. Why not I love to customize stuff and make it my own. Do custom wheels and tires, stereo etc and do it cheaper then buying a Loaded truck. There is the resale argument I suppose.....

Resale on crap magnet trucks sucks. Percentage wise you do better on the mid option trucks.

• Like 1

Mid range jumps 4-6k$.

Value to me seems to buy a just above bare bones like I've shown... Then add a lid, tint, remote start, overhead DVD and rearview mirror backup camera. Roughly $2500.

Those cheapie OEM tires wear out around quick at 25k miles. Junk the steel rims then, buy a good looking rim/tire combo off TireRack for $1800. Done, and no where near crap magnet status.

So $34+5k for the diesel 1/2ton. $38+$5k for the diesel F250.

Edited by nyryan2001

Mid range jumps 4-6k$.

Value to me seems to buy a just above bare bones like I've shown... Then add a lid, tint, remote start, overhead DVD and rearview mirror backup camera. Roughly $2500.

Those cheapie OEM tires wear out around quick at 25k miles. Junk the steel rims then, buy a good looking rim/tire combo off TireRack for $1800. Done, and no where near crap magnet status.

So $34+5k for the diesel 1/2ton. $38+$5k for the diesel F250.

Tint - meh

Remote start- why?

Dvd- why? Buy the kids a book they might get into MIT

Backup cam- perfectly good mirrors come with the truck

The stock dodge 17s were good for 40k ( GY SRA)

Only adders to mine was a bakflip and I put in the mopar heated seat kit because the truck sits outside and my wife gets cold when it hits 60

Edited by oldjeep

trailering without a backup cam sucks. easily the best mod you can do if you hook your trailer up solo on the regular. Don't even see how that's debatable in the least.

Dang, wonder how my dad did it ;)

The point is though, the way the aftermarket is, you can buy a base model and just add what you need pretty cheap. Unless you need leather. I do like my leather seats though. So easy to clean and the back seats still look new as the day I bought it even with slob for a son sits back there. :)

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

oh it can be done, sure. Shoot, my dad didn't have electronic ignition, fuel injection or power steering either. Or AC.

But once you have the cam, you'll ask yourself why you didn't have one before.

And yeah, mine is aftermarket (pioneer HU and cheapie cam from amazon). First mod on the excursion.