Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone towed with the ram 1500 ecodiesel

wheelman

About to pull the trigger on this truck. Would love to hear people's real world towing experiences with it. Need to know how it does on long steep mountain grades with 6 to 7k behind it. It will have the 3.92 gears. I am towing with a ram 1500 hemi right now and the power is great but the fuel mileage is terrible.

Also interestef in some real world experiences. Tundra is coming out with a Cummins V8 diesel for 2016, could be my next vehicle. Wondering if this smaller V6 in the Dodge is enough for heavier weights.

My wife has the Cherokee ED, i have not towed up and over hills with it. I will say i REALLY like it. It is much different then the cummins. (I have the 3500) it has a very sharp power band, it takes some time getting used to. We have 7k on the Cherokee it is averaging 26, so not too bad for full time AWD. I have pulled our MXZ with it on small trips, to/from storage, but not over mountains. I don't believe you would have issues pulling a boat, a bigger trailer,(12~13k) you would likely want more.

I am watching these diesel 1/2tons closely.... But in the end, I think it's gonna be hard to pass up a new 2015 F250 diesel 4x4, crewcab, pw, pl, albeit clot seats and vinyl floors for $38-$39k range. These 1/2tons will be about the same price.

My buddy bought an ecodiesel 1500 last spring to tow his 2000 wakesetter. I tried it out a couple times this summer just to see what it was like towing. You can't even tell the boat is back there! Plenty of power, plenty of stopping, and plenty of stability. On top of it he is getting 24.5 mpg highway/city and 21 mpg towing. To say the least i was impressed. We do have another buddy that got one at the same time for towing his STI cross country for races, and he has had a very similiar experience and already has 20,000 miles on it.

We have not really had it on any steep grades though.

My friend with the wakesetter is actually on this forum. If you'd like to talk to him directly his name is BuNewb, I'm sure he'd be happy to give you more info. (He is out of town for work right now)

Edited by tdelandsheer

I am watching these diesel 1/2tons closely.... But in the end, I think it's gonna be hard to pass up a new 2015 F250 diesel 4x4, crewcab, pw, pl, albeit clot seats and vinyl floors for $38-$39k range. These 1/2tons will be about the same price.

Ditto here. Next year I'm pulling the trigger on a new rig and the F-250 and Ram 2500 in the lower end models are going to be hard to pass up esp. with the ridiculous resale value compared to the 1/2 tons.

To Wheelman, there are some road tests out there and some feedback on forums that are truck related. I've heard that the eco diesel isn't lacking in power but on the steeper grades you'll be foot to the floor trying to keep to 55-60 mph with a trailer. Good luck with the research and if you pull the trigger on one in particular follow up please. Interesting times in the light truck industry.

We have the Cherokee with the 3.0 ED and my truck with the 6.7 cummins. The 3500 dually is amazing, it is also insane overkill if you only pull a boat. The 24 MXZ is at the max rating for the jeep, so i don't use it on long or hilly pulls. I am confident it would do It though. The Cherokee has lower tow rating then the ram due to wheelbase, etc. Ram says the ED is good to 8800, so most boats would not be an issue. Big difference in fuel economy between the 6.7 and 3.0 as well. If i had to drive my 3500 as a daily driver, i would get a different truck, $120 at the pump hurts, worst stop this year $380 truck and boat... I almost cried

some of the F250s at $36-37k are manual crank windows... most at $37-39 you get power windows and locks and the electric 4x4 transfer vs the stick on the floor.

the 2015 6.7s are reportedly getting 18-20mpgs unloaded with the bigger turbo.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?PMmt=1-1-0&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId&feedSegId=28705&isDealerGrouping=false&rpp=50&sf1Dir=DESC&sf1Nm=price&sf2Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=location&zc=22202&rd=100&stkTypId=28880&mkId=20015&mdId=21115&prcId=28642&bsId=20218&transTypeId=28113&fuelTypeId=31766&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT

We have a 14 Cherokee ED 3.0 and it tows great, but as others have said due to the wheelbase I wouldn't recommend it for long tows with the new heavy Malibus. (22 VLX, 23 LSV, 24MXZ, etc.) Although if you got a proper weight distribution hitch it would be fine probably.

The power train has plenty of power and the air ride suspension really does a nice job of leveling the vehicle, but again I've just used it for short trips. The 6.2 Silverado gets the long hauls.

some of the F250s at $36-37k are manual crank windows... most at $37-39 you get power windows and locks and the electric 4x4 transfer vs the stick on the floor.

the 2015 6.7s are reportedly getting 18-20mpgs unloaded with the bigger turbo.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?PMmt=1-1-0&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId&feedSegId=28705&isDealerGrouping=false&rpp=50&sf1Dir=DESC&sf1Nm=price&sf2Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=location&zc=22202&rd=100&stkTypId=28880&mkId=20015&mdId=21115&prcId=28642&bsId=20218&transTypeId=28113&fuelTypeId=31766&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT

Ryan,

I think we have talked this before, but here is what I am faced with: My dealer has the 2014 250 with cloth seats, no backup camera for 54K, and considers it a deal to move down to 49. No way in crap they are going to go under 40K. Going to the east coast to negotiate would likely cost as much to bring it back as I save. I haven't walked in with my pockets full of money to negotiate, but last year when I was considering this, they would not budge, telling me that was their best price.

http://www.stgeorgeford.com/new/Ford/2014-Ford-F-250-a275e13f0a0a00021627bf30a7ecb5ab.htm

Maybe I need to start a 'Find TRR a truck' thread sort of like Lance B Johnson's find a boat thread.

I also thought that both Toyota and Nissan were getting the same Cummins Small diesel engine, not a V8.

Edited by TallRedRider

I have the 2005 Liberty Diesel. I use it to haul my sunsetter around with no issues (long hauls Texas Hill country terrain). This is the 4 cyl (2.8 crd) of the same manufacture as the 6 going in the 1500 Dodge/2007/2014 Jeep Cherokee. I now have 130,000 miles on it and still no issues. I average 20-22 mpg towing at 70. When not towing I average 32 mpg. If all you are doing is towing a boat, I believe the 1500 dodge diesel would be plenty. I have pulled my boat long distance with a Ford F350 diesel, and at 70, could not tell much of a diff except gas mileage (16 mpg in the F350)...

Ryan,

I think we have talked this before, but here is what I am faced with: My dealer has the 2014 250 with cloth seats, no backup camera for 54K, and considers it a deal to move down to 49. No way in crap they are going to go under 40K. Going to the east coast to negotiate would likely cost as much to bring it back as I save. I haven't walked in with my pockets full of money to negotiate, but last year when I was considering this, they would not budge, telling me that was their best price.

http://www.stgeorgeford.com/new/Ford/2014-Ford-F-250-a275e13f0a0a00021627bf30a7ecb5ab.htm

Maybe I need to start a 'Find TRR a truck' thread sort of like Lance B Johnson's find a boat thread.

I also thought that both Toyota and Nissan were getting the same Cummins Small diesel engine, not a V8.

Red,

Here is your truck, you should even like the color... http://www.earnhardtsgilbertdodge.com/new/Ram/2014-Ram-2500-f80f7de90a0a00de54531457c22754fd.htm

Ryan,

TRR- what major city do you live near?

I have a 2014 Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee with 38,000 miles on her. Yes, I drive quite a bit. Zero problems, tows well and yes I get 27-29 Mpg on the highway.

I'd say the Ram wit the 3.0 is a fine choice for towing most boats.

Larry,

Look up Dave Smith Dodge dealer. Their the largest Mopar dealer in the US. They specialize in selling the for the best possible price. And have people coming from all over the country to take advantage. From a dinky town in Idaho. They will pick you up at the airport, sell you a truck, feed you, and send you home.

Ryan,

• Like 2

Dodge have a 3.0L Fiat diesel

Titan/Tundra get a sequentially turbo'd V8 5.0L Cummins. 300hp/500tq.

The 2x turbos suggests the majority of that hp/tq will be avail at very very low RPMs... Regular driving RPMs.

My buddy bought an ecodiesel 1500 last spring to tow his 2000 wakesetter. I tried it out a couple times this summer just to see what it was like towing. You can't even tell the boat is back there! Plenty of power, plenty of stopping, and plenty of stability. On top of it he is getting 24.5 mpg highway/city and 21 mpg towing. To say the least i was impressed. We do have another buddy that got one at the same time for towing his STI cross country for races, and he has had a very similiar experience and already has 20,000 miles on it.

We have not really had it on any steep grades though.

My friend with the wakesetter is actually on this forum. If you'd like to talk to him directly his name is BuNewb, I'm sure he'd be happy to give you more info. (He is out of town for work right now)

Is this towing on flat ground or with hills and mountain passes? I'm skeptical when I start hearing 20+ mpg towing, but if that's the case I'll trade my Cummins in on one. I'm sure I wouldn't miss the 850 ft lbs of torque...

Dodge have a 3.0L Fiat diesel

Titan/Tundra get a sequentially turbo'd V8 5.0L Cummins. 300hp/500tq.

The 2x turbos suggests the majority of that hp/tq will be avail at very very low RPMs... Regular driving RPMs.

The torque curve chart on the 3.0 shows 325 lb-ft off idle, peaking at 420 lb ft at just 2000 rpm. Is that not very low RPMs?

The torque curve chart on the 3.0 shows 325 lb-ft off idle, peaking at 420 lb ft at just 2000 rpm. Is that not very low RPMs?

Which is interesting because that is about what you get from the hemi off idle, but the hemi doesn't peak at 407 until 4000rpm

Honestly I'm not getting the whole 1/2 ton diesel thing. No increase in towing capacity - in the case of the dodge it is actually rated a little lower than the gas engine. You are still limited by the frame and the rest of the driveline. OK, you get a little better mileage - on fuel that costs about $1 more a gallon.