Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone towed with the ram 1500 ecodiesel

wheelman

Honestly I'm not getting the whole 1/2 ton diesel thing. No increase in towing capacity - in the case of the dodge it is actually rated a little lower than the gas engine. You are still limited by the frame and the rest of the driveline. OK, you get a little better mileage - on fuel that costs about $1 more a gallon.

25% better...better towing performance..."probable" better long term lifespan...and you won't be out of place wearing guccis in your truck.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Honestly I'm not getting the whole 1/2 ton diesel thing. No increase in towing capacity - in the case of the dodge it is actually rated a little lower than the gas engine. You are still limited by the frame and the rest of the driveline. OK, you get a little better mileage - on fuel that costs about $1 more a gallon.

Plus the fact that diesel engine longevity and reliability have been reduced by the complexity of the emission and fuel systems.

25% better...better towing performance..."probable" better long term lifespan...and you won't be out of place wearing guccis in your truck.

25% better mileage on fuel that costs 35% more isn't really a great tradeoff ;) ($2.79 vs $3.79 where I live)

Not a little better, a lot better. My daily driver is a '12 Cherokee i average 20, with the pentastar V6, the Hemi drops down to 15, the diesel is 26. 15 vs 26 is a huge difference. I also highly doubt gas prices will stay down.

Is this towing on flat ground or with hills and mountain passes? I'm skeptical when I start hearing 20+ mpg towing, but if that's the case I'll trade my Cummins in on one. I'm sure I wouldn't miss the 850 ft lbs of torque...

I wouldn't say 20+ on mountain passes. On a trip from MI to Atlanta this year with 7k lbs of gear and an open car trailer I witnessed 17mpg average.

I wouldn't say 20+ on mountain passes. On a trip from MI to Atlanta this year with 7k lbs of gear and an open car trailer I witnessed 17mpg average.

What about towing the boat? are you in the 20s in stop and go driving?

It is all about the new CAFE ratings. It might not make financial sense to the end user if they really think about it, but it makes a huge difference to the manufacture.

And sometimes it does come down to mind set. I think there are a fair amount of people out there that are more concerned about MPG than price per gallon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wheelman,

What is your main motivation for going from your current truck (which I assume you are pleased with) to a new truck?

For fuel mileage, you will never see that money back. Eco Diesel gets 28 highway / 20 city. Hemi gets 22 highway / 15 city. Let's average each, making 24 for the Diesel and 18.5 for the Hemi.

Good example: 15k/year. Gas at $3/gallon and Diesel at $3.80. This would mean the Diesel would use 625 gallons a year while the Hemi would use 811.

1 year fuel cost:

Diesel: $2375

Hemi: $2433

Only a $58 savings in fuel for a year of driving. The diesel is a $3000 option.

Now if you want the diesel for better towing (if it does tow better), more reliability (if it is), or resale that will make up more than the price difference in the upgrade, then it makes sense. Otherwise, I'd stick with the gas motor.

Edited by Nitrousbird
  • Like 2

Diesel is about $.40 to $.50 a gallon more at the station I fill up.

the mixed driving on the Ram ED is 25 mpg. With a Hemi it is about 16 from everyone I know that has one, and that is being generous.

If you drive 15k a year, it figures into about $700 a year savings. The ED lists at a $2800 option, so 4 years to pay for itself. That doesn't include if there is increased costs for oil changes or urea if it uses it. Is the torque that much better in the diesel to justify it? That's subjective to the buyer. I don't see the Ram ED being that great of an upgrade. Maybe it will carry a premium in resale, but from what I've read it isn't a heavy duty built engine like Cummins or Duramax, so it might not.

It will be interesting to see what the Titan/Tundra diesel premium is.

ahopkins22LSV

wheelman,

What is your main motivation for going from your current truck (which I assume you are pleased with) to a new truck?

For fuel mileage, you will never see that money back. Eco Diesel gets 28 highway / 20 city. Hemi gets 22 highway / 15 city. Let's average each, making 24 for the Diesel and 18.5 for the Hemi.

Good example: 15k/year. Gas at $3/gallon and Diesel at $3.80. This would mean the Diesel would use 625 gallons a year while the Hemi would use 811.

1 year fuel cost:

Diesel: $2375

Hemi: $2433

Only a $58 savings in fuel for a year of driving. The diesel is a $3000 option.

Now if you want the diesel for better towing (if it does tow better), more reliability (if it is), or resale that will make up more than the price difference in the upgrade, then it makes sense. Otherwise, I'd stick with the gas motor.

This is exactly what I was going to say, but now I don't have to. Thanks NB! :)

Anyway, the diesel in the 1/2 ton truck is very interesting. But, with the new transmissions they are using on the gas engines I find it hard justify the price of the truck due to the facts above. I have engineer friends at FCA and GM that say they same thing. Both FCA and GM have 10 speeds coming out in the future for gas. I don't know if that is planned for diesel as well. Lots of interesting stuff happening that is for sure. The diesel might make more sense in the future in the 1/2 though.

Diesel is about $.40 to $.50 a gallon more at the station I fill up.

the mixed driving on the Ram ED is 25 mpg. With a Hemi it is about 16 from everyone I know that has one, and that is being generous.

If you drive 15k a year, it figures into about $700 a year savings. The ED lists at a $2800 option, so 4 years to pay for itself. That doesn't include if there is increased costs for oil changes or urea if it uses it. Is the torque that much better in the diesel to justify it? That's subjective to the buyer. I don't see the Ram ED being that great of an upgrade. Maybe it will carry a premium in resale, but from what I've read it isn't a heavy duty built engine like Cummins or Duramax, so it might not.

It will be interesting to see what the Titan/Tundra diesel premium is.

I agree the 16 mixed is around right as long as you are not doing a lot of quick takeoffs. My 09 Hemi likes to drink if you are on the throttle all the time. The $2800 option is really only part of the price though the other piece of it is that the diesel is selling fast, so you are going to pay a lot closer to MSRP for an ecodisel truck than you are for a Hemi truck.

Edited by oldjeep

I have to agree.

Lets see what the real world mileage comes out to be. Too much speculation now. And advertised mileages aren't usually real world no?

My 2010 Titan gets horrible mileage but its paid for. It would never be worth it to change over to one of these truck as cool as they be. Also it just towed my 23 LSV back from Montana and did just fine over two passes. I don't need more truck. Then throw in the fact that I am capable of making this truck live fo'eva. When I upgrade it will be because I want to, not because I think it will save me money.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

I have to agree.

Lets see what the real world mileage comes out to be. Too much speculation now. And advertised mileages aren't usually real world no?

My 2010 Titan gets horrible mileage but its paid for. It would never be worth it to change over to one of these truck as cool as they be. Also it just towed my 23 LSV back from Montana and did just fine over two passes. I don't need more truck. Then throw in the fact that I am capable of making this truck live fo'eva. When I upgrade it will be because I want to, not because I think it will save me money.

It's funny how this has flipped; 15 years ago like you would be saying that about a diesel engine instead of a gasser.

• Like 1

It's funny how this has flipped; 15 years ago like you would be saying that about a diesel engine instead of a gasser.

Well, now days pretty much any engine is good for 200K easy as long as you remember to change the oil once in a while. My Hemi has 110K on it and still works like new.

Well, now days pretty much any engine is good for 200K easy as long as you remember to change the oil once in a while. My Hemi has 110K on it and still works like new.

You are right that just about any modern N/A, non DI gasser is good for 200K with very minor cost (plugs and fluids). Much riskier proposition with a modern diesel after 100K. (EGR cleaning, injector/fuel pump life, DPF cleaning/replacement, turbo failure)

• Like 2

Is this towing on flat ground or with hills and mountain passes? I'm skeptical when I start hearing 20+ mpg towing, but if that's the case I'll trade my Cummins in on one. I'm sure I wouldn't miss the 850 ft lbs of torque...

This was across the great state of Michigan (now the tundra). So, pretty much flat.

I have to agree.

Guy in this thread said 24.5 in ram....more in GC.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Guy in this thread said 24.5 in ram....more in GC.

Well that's one data point. And my experience is that most truck owners tend to exaggerate a bit eh?

But even so I am sure they are great trucks. However I would never save money ( speaking only from my perspective) switching rigs to get a few more miles per gallon. For other people it might be worth it sure.

I could see it if: Your current rig is a POS that breaks down all the time and is costing you a lot of money and down time and you aren't capable or willing to invest the money to fix it. Thats about the only way I see going to a new vehicle saving you money.

Now if you want it because YOU WANT IT then sure by all means upgrade. But most likely you aren't saving any money.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

Well that's one data point. And my experience is that most truck owners tend to exaggerate a bit eh?

But even so I am sure they are great trucks. However I would never save money ( speaking only from my perspective) switching rigs to get a few more miles per gallon. For other people it might be worth it sure.

I could see it if: Your current rig is a POS that breaks down all the time and is costing you a lot of money and down time and you aren't capable or willing to invest the money to fix it. Thats about the only way I see going to a new vehicle saving you money.

Now if you want it because YOU WANT IT then sure by all means upgrade. But most likely you aren't saving any money.

I think that is the theme of this site :lol:.

• Like 2

I know it. But it just kinda cracks me up when someone says, " This thing saves me soooo much money in gas." Its like they are seeing through some strange kind of glasses or something.

Must be a Canadian thing unless the truck is a business asset.

Yes, if you are self employed or a commissioned employee Who uses their vehicle for work use and does not get reimbursed from employer you can write off all vehicle expenses related to work and depreciate the vehicle for the percantge you use it for work