Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swivel Mounts for Wetsounds Tower Speakers?

Cory

I'm considering a pair of these for my G4 tower and the 1 pair of Icon 8's I'm getting. Do they work well? Any issues with them over time? Do the speakers hang down significantly lower with the swivel mounts vs fixed mounts?

I'm considering a pair of these for my G4 tower and the 1 pair of Icon 8's I'm getting. Do they work well? Any issues with them over time? Do the speakers hang down significantly lower with the swivel mounts vs fixed mounts?

Link? Pics? Video?

So, are they easy to spin, or does it require a tool? The use I envision is when we go to banks lake and use a sand spike and anchor on a sandy beach. Some times we anchor nose in and it would be nice to rotate the speakers to direct music towards the beach. If I'll need to breakout a tool, that sort of puts a pause on the fun.

I know one or more peeps that have had them fall off into the boat while underway, can see how they would fall off underway down the road, but your tower will now be stowed when you tow, cause that's the whole reason you went G4 right? So they will just roll around inside the boat if they do, and it may be tough to fall off sitting vertocally on the clamps anyways.

Edited by Bawshogg

I have the swivel mounts on the Exiles mounted on a Titan tower. My buddy has them on the G3. The difference is the swivel is on the side when it's mounted on a G3 & needs to be tightened down with a wrench or the speaker tends to rotate as the boat is driving. But the swivel is on the top when mounted on the Titan & don't move at all, even when their just finger tight.

Do you just take an allen wrench to that nut on the back side, loosen, spin, retighten?

Are these what you have Shawn? Do they work well? No issues with intermittent connections or coming loose?

Are all of you running horn speakers? Any reason to get horn speakers for surfing? I'm not interested in projecting sound out for a wakeboarder.

Mine have never gotten so loose i was afraid they would fall off, they just got loose and moved. We typically just checked them before each road trip and tightened them back down. I've never heard the icons series so I can't say if they are better for surfing or not. My Rev 10s sure get the sound to the surfer nicely though

I also had the swivel mounts on my Rev 10's on a g3 and never had a problem with them coming loose. I cranked them down pretty tight with the Allen wrench.

Cory, are those speakers going to be head bangers for people walking in the boat? I am 6'1, I wonder if they would clear my head or would I be ducking every time I walked under them.

the 6mm allen loosens a "wishbone" that holds the speaker in place. In order for the speaker to fall off, the 6mm would need to back all the way out, then the wishbone to wiggle free and fall off first.

The system works well. I like Exile/samson's mounting system a bit better. It seems a like a more robust way to do it.

If we could have wetsounds drivers paired with exile/samson mounts, that would be beautiful

Do you just take an allen wrench to that nut on the back side, loosen, spin, retighten?

Are these what you have Shawn? Do they work well? No issues with intermittent connections or coming loose?

Are all of you running horn speakers? Any reason to get horn speakers for surfing? I'm not interested in projecting sound out for a wakeboarder.

Powered well, I'd think 4x icons should be fabulous for surfing. If they aren't get an FAE instead of horns (FAE is like doubling your power at that range because you basically silence the the "speakers" under the swim platform).

Yes, same mounts. they won't come loose at all. I had very very early revs with those mounts and one thing I was a bit disappointed in is that they used stainless on stainless hardware that tended to gall a bit if torqued hard. I'd definitely recommend putting antisieze all over the tightening bolt on the wishbone ASAP. Mine were also pretty poorly machined and I had to chase them with a tap. I've heard that this was an early production issue and that the clamps are much cleaner now.

Wow those are really good looking speakers. Does anyone really rotate them and what for?

Mounted like they are pictured on the G4 I kinda agree... what's the advantage? I had my rev 10s mounted a little off center to "fan" the speakers somewhat behind the boat, but with the icons' more limited range, not sure that makes a big difference? The rotating mounts are also nice if you are mounting on the side or in a curve (see below) because you can then point the speakers up a bit so they are firing back and not down when the boat is underway, but again probably not that important on a flat G4, where that doesn't appear possible. As pictured, that's a really poor mounting angle for getting sound to a rider because when the boat is nose-high on plane the speakers will be firing into the water right behind the boat instead of at the rider. Probably OK for surfing/bad for wakeboarding. Had this same problem with fixed mount bullet hollowpoints mounted to an illusion on the vride.... they are great for firing at/into the people in the cabin, but not so great for firing to a wakeboarder.

See how on my old boat the swivel mounts were critical for mounting the "outside" speakers (and didn't really make a difference one way or the other on the inside speakers):

8678e8bc.jpg

Edited by shawndoggy

I had the Rev 8's with the swivel mounts on a G3 and never had any issues with them coming loose at all. As Shawndoggy stated above, the swivels are nice to rotate the speakers up for when the boat in nose high, and also to deflect the sound above the boat passengers more. Nose in at the beach, swivel forward and you can hear you tunes clearly. I would recommend them for the G3, not sure what the advantage will be on the G4, other than fanning them outward for wakeboarding. I plan on getting them regardless for the G4.

No issues with the locking fork backing out. It threads into what is essentially a nylock nut. The bolt requires an allen tool to loosen/tighten.

No issues with the speaker or LED connections, unlike other swivel designs that use a spring loaded contact tab on a male post. The TC3-S uses a male and female 6-way connector in the upper and lower halves. These are fixed in the halves. When you seat the pod into the tower portion of the clamp, the connectors come together. When the pod is rotates, the seated connector bodies rotate as a single unit. The terminals retail full contact, rather then having male post rotating against a contact thats rubbing against it.

No reason to get HLCDs for surfing, just note, they can be just as loud and do project across the lake, as a byproduct of amp power and volume setting.

Anyone not using a tool to keep a swivel clamp tighter than finger tight, is looking for a premature failure.

Edited by MLA

Wow those are really good looking speakers. Does anyone really rotate them and what for?

If you beach the boat bow in, then you could spin them around. The fact that their quick disconnect is why I like them. No point in keeping them out in the weather all the time. And I can lock them up or take them with me.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I also had the swivel mounts on my Rev 10's on a g3 and never had a problem with them coming loose. I cranked them down pretty tight with the Allen wrench.

Cory, are those speakers going to be head bangers for people walking in the boat? I am 6'1, I wonder if they would clear my head or would I be ducking every time I walked under them.

As it stands right now I'm only getting a single pair. So I don't think they will get in the way. If I add a second pair, I probably won't get swivel mounts for those ones for head clearance issues.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone purchased the swivel mounts for 4 Rev 8s on a G4 tower?  If so, how much, any problems and will they allow you to point the speaker more toward the sky reduce sound in the boat on the passengers in the rear?  I have a LSV 25 and turning up the tower speakers for the rider makes it very loud for the passengers in the rear of the boat.

Tx

Daniel

415-823-1571