Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on Towing with a MB GL

DAI

Does anyone on the site tow with a newer MB GL? If so, would you mind sharing your perspective on:

- What model GL and what are you towing

- General likes and dislikes

- Amount of shifting with the 7-speed

- Auto-leveling eliminate the squat?

- Comfort in towing longer distances (5-8 hours of drive time).

I'm considering one as an option for replacing my current tow rig (2010 GMC Yukon Denali).

DAI,

We own a MB ML 320 and a GL 320. These are 2008 V6 diesel CDI models and I love them. Just prior to getting a diesel in 2008 we had a 2007 GL 350 with the gas V8 engine. I did not have the Malibu at that time, but did tow a 25 foot tri-toon pontoon boat behind both types of GL's. I was probably towing about 3,000 pounds. The gas V8 will pull the weight but there is a lot of down shifting when going up hills. The diesel has much better torque an a lot less shifting up and down when towing. The gas V8 will use premium gas and the mileage is pretty bad, although I never calculated the mileage with towing a boat.

I recently had to pull my Malibu to the dealer with the ML 320. The Malibu is heavy! I can feel the weight when pulling, but the ML diesel handled it well.

The auto leveling does work in the GL, but we have had to have parts of the system repaired 3 or 4 times in 6 years. Luckily we bought the extended warranty.

The trucks are comfortable and ride well.

I would seriously consider the diesel for towing and gas mileage. However, I am not sure if these diesels are more prone to problems in cold climates. You should research that a bit. I wonder if the GL diesel can be order without auto-leveling? I don't think it's necessary. That is why I like my ML, it does not have auto leveling.

Thanks for the input. All the German diesel engines around here have a poor reliability reputation (MB, Audi, BMW). Even the BMW dealer told me to avoid an X5 with a diesel when I was looking at them a couple years ago. My brother could not wait to get rid of his BlueTec

Good to know on the auto-leveling. Repairs under warranty are nice, but would hate for that to be a weekend ruiner or, even worse, occurring in the northwoods of WI where there is not a MB dealer for a couple hundred miles.

Your point on the gas and the 7-speed is my primary concern. I'm assuming the MB does not have the tow/haul mode like the Yukon, correct?

I'm pulling a 14 23 LSV, so I'm stuck in the full-size SUV options. I would think that the mid sized SUVs, though have the pulling power, would run the risk of 'tail wagging the dog'.

My sister had diesel CDI in New Jersey and had some issues with it. I think the diesel fuel gets thick in cold weather and is tough on the engine. She traded it in and got a ML350 with the V6 gas engine. The V6 takes regular gas.

I am not sure I would consider a GL 450 a real "towing" vehicle, although I believe it would pull your boat pretty well. I guess a little depends on how far you tow and how are the hills?

The BMW dealer told me it was the amount of 'bio' in the formulation for around here.

Not a lot of hills around here for us. However, probably will be towing some distances (5-8 hour trips) handful full of times a year.