Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 VLX Wake Surf setup

stags79

Most of the time my wife and I wakeskate, but were looking for something else to do when its busy on the weekends. I'm planning to get wicked wake surf gates for both sides and I'm just wondering how much weight I really need in the back and the bow to get a decent surf wave. I currently have all four hard tanks but no wedge.

I have been thinking about getting 540lb bags for each rear locker and another 400lb bag for the bow and setting them up with their own reversible pumps.

Should I look for bigger bags or will these be enough. We haven't really surfed that much, and not on our boat.

Thanks for the input.

If you go with wicked weight you will weight the boat evenly and might have to add a little extra to the side ur surfing on.

I'd look at 750 in each rear locker and then 750 in the nose with 150 to 200 lbs of lead to fine tube. Straightline sacs are nice, that is what I am running.

Reversible pumps are a great idea

Use to own an 06 VLX, here's what my set up was and the wake was great for wakesurfing:

Surf side rear ballast, mid and front all full

Surfside 750 rear locker (piggyback)

Surfside 400 tube sac under side seat (Port side) (plumbed in system)

Wedge all the way down

Speed around 9.2 MPH

Usually 3-4 on board. I also have 2 extra 150 fly high cube bags I can fill if there is only 2 of us on the boat. Easy to fill and move around if needed.

If you get wicked wakesurf you'll need all stock ballast full (both rear, mid and bow) + 750 bags in each rear hatches. Also probably extra bow bag.

I have the wake hull, but I don't a wedge on the boat right now. I haven't had much need for more weight or a wedge since we have mostly been skating.

i would get a manual wedge at the least for surfing.

I'll have to look into a used wedge. I don't really anticipate spending that much time surfing, but if I can find a good deal on one I'll have to pick it up. I just assumed that with enough bags I could avoid having to get a wedge and extra ballast

I was only able to surf once with the Wicked Wakesurf on my '07 VLX, and I actually found that I like it better WITHOUT the wedge. Here's the setup that seemed to work best (I didn't have a chance to do too much tweaking:

Surfed goofy side only

750# sac in each rear compartment filled about 80% (both sacs)

Both rear stock tanks full

Center tank full

About 300# in bow

2 guys in boat

No wedge

11 mph (via GPS)

This provided a very long wave with plenty of push; much better than listed. When listed, I would typically have the same as above except both stock & sac on non-surf side not full and wedge all the way down. With the WWS & wedge all the way down, the wave was very steep and short. I could possibly put more in the bow to counteract this, but I found that this setup worked great.